So I hate buying vehicles but...

April 20, 2016, 8:05 p.m.

I guess in the end things are only worth what someone will pay for it, but this was a harsh reality check.

1. Keep it until its worth 0 and has given many miles and ready for the junkyard.

2. Sell it privately.

3. See 1, then trade it in for $500 just so you dont have to deal with a junkyard.

You'll be miles ahead of losing the pile of money the dealer will rip you off for on a trade in today.

Unless you're changing a gas guzzling truck for a used Prius. That would change the equation.

April 20, 2016, 8:05 p.m.

figure our what you want to pay after your trade in value and say i'm ready to drive home with that vehicle now for this price with my trade. tell the salesperson to either say yes or no so you can move on to the next dealer instead. your will to get the deal you want has to be stronger than their desire to take as much money as they can from you.

I'm done with that dealer (Langley Acura)

They got more arrogant as I questioned their pricing.

April 20, 2016, 8:07 p.m.

just get faithless to act as your broker.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

April 20, 2016, 8:10 p.m.

Lease a TL?

Ba dum bum!

April 20, 2016, 8:12 p.m.

Shopping for a car sucks.

I went through this recently and unless your car is worth almost nothing it's better to sell privately. You'll never get a good deal on a trade.

Example
Elantra GT. I Was offered 13k on a trade in. I sold privately for 17000k.
Mazda3. I was offered 13k and 14k on a trade in. I sold privately for 18500k.

Even with the tax difference on a trade vs private sale I was still ahead selling privately and I didn't feel as much anger being lowballed on my vehicle.

The car I bought was originally listed at $24380 then went down to $22980. I finally decided to make an offer when it went down again to $22480 and I got it for $22200 including their stupid admin fee ($395).

You just have to keep an eye out for the current used asking prices and watch if they go down then jump one one when it comes available. If your buying new then I've had good luck with those car buying sites like unhaggle.com, I've used it twice. Basically you enter what you want and then dealers send sales offers. The price unhaggle presents you is the drive it of the lot price, no other fees. You can choose the lowest one and either go with it or use that offer to negotiate with another dealer.
There is a fee, it was $99 when I did it, and the offers are only good for a few days.

One more thing. I tested the used waters by listing my car for sale on CL as well as checking out other listings for the same car. I got bites so I new my car was in demand. I had to evade a few potential buyers for about a week but in the end I bough my new-to-me car on Saturday and sold my old car on Sunday. Pretty convenient

April 20, 2016, 9:11 p.m.

you got a translation of that for dummies?

First goes through nomenclature:

Peaches - good new cars
Cherries - good used cars
Lemons - used cars that have defect known to the seller

In summary, "Given the fixed price at which buyers will buy, sellers will sell only when they hold "lemons" (since plemon [HTML_REMOVED] pavg) and they will leave the market when they hold "peaches" (since ppeach [HTML_REMOVED] pavg)"

1. The seller of a cherry will never get a sufficient amount for their quality use car on the open market to motivate them to sell, so cherries don't come up for sale.

2. Cars in the average (cherries + lemons)/2, are perceived not to return dis that a seller will never get a a reasonable amount for thier car, so they don't sell.

3. All used cars for sale are undesirable, and therefore lemons. This is supported by the lack of demand for used cars priced outside of the average.

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

April 20, 2016, 9:55 p.m.

And what's with Documentation and Registration Fees. One dealer wanted $399 for each - $798. For filling out some paperwork? Isn't that their job? Did they have to go to law school to fill out these forms?

April 20, 2016, 10:09 p.m.

Only suckers pay for that.

April 20, 2016, 10:21 p.m.

Only suckers pay for that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQubRDWfovU

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

April 21, 2016, 6:40 a.m.

just get faithless to act as your broker.

I told them I knew majin when I walked in, you know, to set the tone from the start

They said, "You're not even wearing raw denim, you don't know majin, you're a poser"

Then I saw 5 brown guys standing together so I got the hell out of there, because you know what that means.

April 21, 2016, 6:51 a.m.

I told them I knew majin when I walked in, you know, to set the tone from the start

They said, "You're not even wearing raw denim, you don't know majin, you're a poser"

Then I saw 5 brown guys standing together so I got the hell out of there, because you know what that means.

this post should be saved for ever

You know you went to far when even Tungsten thinks your a Jack Ass.

April 21, 2016, 7:08 a.m.

Damn straight. You needed get out of there before they told you "your horizon's off".

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

April 21, 2016, 7:10 a.m.

1. Keep it until its worth 0 and has given many miles and ready for the junkyard.

2. Sell it privately.

3. See 1, then trade it in for $500 just so you dont have to deal with a junkyard.

You'll be miles ahead of losing the pile of money the dealer will rip you off for on a trade in today.

Unless you're changing a gas guzzling truck for a used Prius. That would change the equation.

this.

Anyone who trades in their vehicle to a dealer is bending over for a @ss fvcking.

Libre? Libre como el vienta……

April 21, 2016, 7:13 a.m.

Is that Jonker? I purchased my used Ridgleine there.

Very long story but I regret giving them my business.

April 21, 2016, 7:23 a.m.

Is that Jonker? I purchased my used Ridgleine there.

Very long story but I regret giving them my business.

nope, different dealer