So I came home to this!

March 6, 2003, 10:10 p.m.

Good on ya! Whatcha need to renew the scholarship?

I got $2500 first year I got into UBC and I missed the renewal for my scholarship by 0.07%. 0.07% FREAKING percent! I was so damn pissed off.

With you marks you should be able to keep an 80ish average. If only I had gone to my first year english classes… if only I hadn't gotten 68% in first year english for not going to class…stupid english.

84.93%. That stupid number is going to haunt me.

My photos | Green Avocado

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.

Guns kill people just like pens cause spelling mistakes, cars create drunk drivers and spoons create fat people.

PM me to learn how to use credit card bonuses to fly for free.

March 7, 2003, 3:22 a.m.

I should have spent more time in school and less on my bike :lol:

superheros
I like bikes

March 7, 2003, 12:25 p.m.

Sweet job man, I'm looking at Unis in BC or basically what I want to do in the future.

Thats so sweet man, stoked for ya. Good Job.

:scotland: El Presidente

March 7, 2003, 12:54 p.m.

Originally posted by Norman

With you marks you should be able to keep an 80ish average.

though high school marks show ones potential to do well in university, it sure don't guarantee it. believe me, I had 93% average in high school, and I came to SFU and just got roasted. now my gpa is like 2.6 or something. thats cause my work ethic is terrible. I think university really depends on how hard you are willing to work, while in high school you can get by just by being sort of smart, or even just by having a reputation among teachers as being smart. its weird, I remember going into a class in the beginning of the year, and working really hard to make the teachers think good things, then slacking the rest of the year, just because you have the benefit of the doubt. as sad as it is, I think SOME high school teachers are pretty subjective when marking tests. good luck to ya at uvic, it has a rad scene going on campus. rez rules……. even though it is the whole problem behind my study habits.

March 7, 2003, 1:12 p.m.

Originally posted by Dante Alighieri
wtf?

Ha Ha ha:lol:

March 7, 2003, 1:45 p.m.

:clap: that's great. i hope i get one of those in 2 years

March 7, 2003, 3:40 p.m.

Yeah…I'm actually curious to see what the workload will be like in university.

I'm in IB, which for those of you unfamiliar with it is sort of like AP everything. We were told that with what we know now, if we took first year math, and chem we'd get ~86% and ~89% respectively. We've been taught a whole bunch of extra physics too, but very little of it is included in any first year curriculum (some IB stuff is pretty useless).

We've had to work a hell of a lot harder than normal classes all through high school, yet a few of us have still been able to slack a fair amount and get the grades we need. I'm interested to see how much harder things are going to get.

This space intentionally left blank.

March 7, 2003, 5:05 p.m.

good damn. im getting 82% in grade 11 math pure, and 75% in chemistry. I got 65% in grade 10 english because my teachers a fricking moron. what a bitch. my friend got 80% and i KNOW FOR A FACT that my work was way better. on our portfolio that was 50% of our mark, i had done an amazingly exhuasting amount of work, whereas my 80% friend left out 1/3 of it, and spent about 2 hours putting it together, compared to my 15 hours. total stupidity. that could haunt me for the rest of my life.

That is why I dont think english should have much weight towards university admissions. It totally depends on the teacher. I'm pretty sure the reason i got 65% was becuase all my work was about biking. my 80% friend did less than half the work but he wrote about some gay novel. I know other english teachers that would have given me over 90% for my portfolio, it just depends on the teacher. that is why math is good, theres right and wrong. english, no right, no wrong. just teachers opinion. and in my case i got severly screwed. maybe they should base it on efffort like they are supposed to, not on how much they liked it. obviuosly yer gonna hate a biking thing if you cant even ride a fcking bike. geezus christ. i just wanna kick that btch in the face. the funny thing is, our teacher told us to use lots of self expression. i did that to probably the greatest extent in my class and got shafted for it. DOWN WITH ENGLISH! ITS STUPID AND YOU HAFTA IMPRESS THE TEACHERS WITH CRAP INSTEAD OF QUALITY .:censored: :flame: :evil: :swearing: :swearing: :censored: :flame: :swearing: :crybaby: :flame: :censored:

March 7, 2003, 5:06 p.m.

Good Job! Given your interests in Math, Astrophysics, etc., I think you'd love (analytic) philosophy. So give it a try! The field is loaded with people interested in theoretical and foundational questions about math and the sciences.

March 7, 2003, 5:18 p.m.

Link: I like the more philosophic side of physics…the parts that we can't explain such as singularities and such are truely interesting. Even general relativity and explanations of spacetime and the universe being curved are really interesting to me.

I've been taking ToK (Theory of Knowledge) for two years now, and while it CAN be interesting at times, most of the time it bores me/angers me. I like discussions on logic and ethics…but most of the other topics are quite asnine IMO.

Superman: English is incredibly subjective. I was amazed I managed to pull of an A this year. I had a 85.4 going in, and an 86 on the provincial just BARELY got me over the line. It never has been my strongest subject, for exactly those reasons. While some will agree, and some will disagree, my advice would be to simply figure out what the teacher wants and give it to them. Many parents will scoff at this, and call it cynical and a poor attitude, but it's what will get you the marks, which will get you the money, which will get you a real education. Of course, that's not to say it goes away completely (or even at all) in university, but hopefully you'll be able to learn something along the way.

This is one of the reasons I like the sciences too. Right and wrong. Show work for full marks. I can do that. I can take what I've been taught and apply it to situations, and predict results. I can see how to derive things and show things once I've been shown how.

One of other major problems in English is my sarcastic nature. Sometimes, I find the topics so idiotic, that I start writing so sarcastically that I get bad marks. We're supposed to write a story to show some purpose or moral that sounds like it was directly ripped from an after school special. So, I take it, I exaggerate, I make fun of the topic in the way I write it. Teachers don't usually look kindly on this, and usually take it at face value (kind of ironic considering that they're preaching looking deeper into writing) and give you a bad mark.

My advice: suck it up and give em what they want. It sounds like you know what it is. Get the marks. Let the education come later.

March 7, 2003, 6:16 p.m.

Good for you. If only I could think of what I want to do after school!

March 7, 2003, 6:44 p.m.

I think epistemology (theory of knowledge) is one of the least interesting branches of philosophy. Have you done any metaphysics? And I'm not talking here about the kind of stuff you'd find in the Metaphysics section of a bookstore. I'm talking about issues concerning the nature of things in the universe. A central issue in metaphysics is the problem of identity - e.g., is the bike in your garage the same bike as the one in your garage yesterday? If so, how can that be, since they don't have exactly the same parts?

March 9, 2003, 2:46 p.m.

Originally posted by Link
I think epistemology (theory of knowledge) is one of the least interesting branches of philosophy. Have you done any metaphysics? And I'm not talking here about the kind of stuff you'd find in the Metaphysics section of a bookstore. I'm talking about issues concerning the nature of things in the universe. A central issue in metaphysics is the problem of identity - e.g., is the bike in your garage the same bike as the one in your garage yesterday? If so, how can that be, since they don't have exactly the same parts?

I've read about some things like that, although not in class really.

I even read a bit by a guy who refused to use any form of the verb 'to be' in written or spoken language. "How can anything really be something?".

I didn't think much of it.

See, I like some concepts, but at the end of the day, you can have discussed something for hours and be exactly where you started. I like the theoretical physics because you can do that and learn more about something by the end of it. It goes somewhere. Eventually. Sometimes.

March 9, 2003, 6:08 p.m.

sweet gandalf! awesome grades :cool:

K-DAWG
Stop me if I say "Watch this!" or "I'm gonna try something!" or "One last time…"

-Member Since September 2001-