So God; where were you?

Nov. 13, 2008, 11:58 a.m.

so you think that your opinion that a god is no good without a religion to tell you how to worship makes a difference in whether or not a god exists?

and it is religious people that are delusional?

i do find it really funny that such smart atheists can't perform a simple task like separating manmade religion with the question of whether or not there is a "god" (glib seems to be the only one able to)

I do understand that, but thanks for making inferences about my intelligence. Please define what you mean by a 'god' not in the context of a religion. I think in the process, you'll end up creating your own narrative, your own religion, in order to define this being. Is he a 'creator' of the universe. Then tell me your creation story. Is he somehow omniscient? Then tell me if he knows my thoughts.

Nov. 13, 2008, 11:58 a.m.

really? Then how do you explain native spirituology (sp?). They believe in several creators depending on which nation you belong to and that forces and spirits guide the world and actions of man, yet do not prescribe to be organized as a religion.

the hindu religion has some 360 million gods, which one of them does squirrell want to call out in this thread?

Now, I personally am disappointed in this thread, if it hasn't shown any of you that there is no god and that any toddler can be abused and beaten to death, any child can be left to starve on the plains of Africa then i feel sorry for the lot of you.

if, and it's a big IF, there is any truth to what you hear from most religions, they are in a better place, and while you should feel sad for their suffering, you should be happy that they are at peace and surrounded by love now

is that any better than smashing the parents heads in with a claw hammer? i'm not sure

meh

Nov. 13, 2008, noon

or maybe he is bitter or has lost his ideals…..

I don't see what ideals have to do with it. I can be ethical and moral without needing to believe in the fairy god mother. I'm ethical and moral because I have a deep respect for life, that…. wait for it… .comes from within me, not because I read it in a book or a priest told me I 'should' be ethical/moral, cuz otherwise I'll be punished. Which one is more commendable.

Nov. 13, 2008, 12:04 p.m.

That's a great picture. But that's a human caring for another human. It's not god. In fact, mother teresa was highly doubtful that god existed.

oh common

meh

Nov. 13, 2008, 12:05 p.m.

1 = 3…right

so your variables are time, universe and location

now what?

oh how about color and flavor? What about temperature? Of course there are more variables. That was a semantic decision which i chose when i was originally arguing my point about dragging a spiritual entity into this universe through belief, etc.

you have no point.

Nov. 13, 2008, 12:06 p.m.

really? Then how do you explain native spirituology (sp?). They believe in several creators depending on which nation you belong to and that forces and spirits guide the world and actions of man, yet do not prescribe to be organized as a religion because imho if there was a "god" that sort of thing would not happen.

Well, in a way, a lot of religions are not monotheistic, christianity being one of them - they have the father, son, and holy spirit (yeah, i know, they're supposed to be the same dude), and a multitude of saints that can fly and perform miracles and reside in heaven. Native spirituality has much in common with christianity. They both have creation stories, handed down through generations. There's ornaments and trinkets that they create to honor / recognize / record the history of the god (totem poles, etc). There's ceremonies (sweat lodges, pipes). That sounds pretty organized to me.

Nov. 13, 2008, 12:07 p.m.

oh common

what an argument.

Nov. 13, 2008, 12:11 p.m.

what an argument.

if your arguement was in anyway worth responding to i would be all over it, you're over your head in this thread though, stay in the shallow end

meh

Nov. 13, 2008, 12:11 p.m.

Is he a 'creator' of the universe. Then tell me your creation story. Is he somehow omniscient? Then tell me if he knows my thoughts.

how the hell would i know?

this space is intentionally blank, other than this note about it being blank.

Nov. 13, 2008, 12:12 p.m.

how much of what is thought of as scientific fact is indeed just theory?
quite a bit, yes i am more scientific than religious, but it will be a long time till we disprove god and or the afterlife so until then i prefer to go with a more sherlock holmes type of thinking

you are confusing, like most, a belief in god and or an afterlife with orginized religion, more specifically old testement and christianity

dude. prove or disprove god. I don't care. But once you show that he exists, he becomes a part of THIS crap. I don't care you find him by expanding the philosophical definition of what THIS universe is, or if it is simply by finding him in a cave in your backyard. Once he is shown to exist, he means nothing of any greater existential importance than a rock. That is to say his existence is equally as definite as anything else.

Nov. 13, 2008, 12:15 p.m.

if your arguement was in anyway worth responding to i would be all over it, you're over your head in this thread though, stay in the shallow end

haha… try using a little less hair grease there buddy. I think it's seeping into your brain and affecting your thought process. Yeah, you're right, I am done with this thread.

Nov. 13, 2008, 12:16 p.m.

dude. prove or disprove god. I don't care. But once you show that he exists, he becomes a part of THIS crap. I don't care you find him by expanding the philosophical definition of what THIS universe is, or if it is simply by finding him in a cave in your backyard. Once he is shown to exist, he means nothing of any greater existential importance than a rock. That is to say his existence is equally as definite as anything else.

you are a real ray of sunshine, poor girl doesn't know what she missed out on

meh

Nov. 13, 2008, 12:19 p.m.

haha… try using a little less hair grease there buddy.

nicely played, the icing on the cake of your perfectly executed arguement

Yeah, you're right, I am done with this thread.

you were done a long time ago, you are just the last to realize it

meh

Nov. 13, 2008, 12:20 p.m.

and indicentially, science is not abstract. It's very simple. Tools are used to observe things. People who are not in science love to make the argument that it's "alllll theooorrryy"… that's bullshit. When I do a Western Blot, I see protein. I don't THINK i see protein, i KNOW it. When my friends uses his telescope to observe the background light in the universe to count galaxy clusters, he isn't guessing. He sees the light, counts the clusters and make very definite calculations about how much mass in in the universe, and whether there are more forces at play. It's not some abstract process. It's very conservative

Nov. 13, 2008, 12:22 p.m.

To activly say that there is no god is to close your mind to all possibilities. Which in itself is an irrational act.
Just like following a faith with out question is. To remain truely open minded one must conisder all the
possibilities. Personally I feel that organized religion is just a continuation of early govermental control.
The ability to prove with out question the existence of a higher power is practly impossible. Faith in a higher power is not a problem.
Thinking that one idea is right over all others is the problem. Organized religion is condusive of this sort of thinking and that is what I have
a problem with.

God or not, people need to stop finding ways of segregating ourselves and realize that we are all human. As a race we have huge potential, but untill we stop creating artificial barriers we will continue to fight each other untill the day comes where we destroy the earth and then we know hell in it truest form.