So Elon bought the twitter....

May 24, 2022, 10 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

I sometimes wonder when people disagree with something if they take any time to investigate the issue further or consider why someone else might have a different perspective on it.

With JP it isn't so much about agreement or disagreement.  I just think he was rightly called out for being an asshole.  Is there a conversation about healthy lifestyles to be made?  Maybe, but the swimsuit issue isn't really about health and he didn't try to start a conversation.

May 24, 2022, 2:27 p.m.

It's also interesting how comments sometimes get misinterpreted to be the opposite of what was intended.

May 24, 2022, 3:18 p.m.

It's anything but interesting.

May 24, 2022, 3:30 p.m.

Maybe. I have in interest in human behaviour and social psychology so I find all these things and what drives people actions and thinking to be interesting. I also believe if we don't question behaviours in order to understand where they come from then there's no chance of affecting any change of said behaviours.

May 24, 2022, 4:45 p.m.

Whenever a guy I know starts getting really into "logic" or "critical thinking" or "behavioral psychology" I start getting concerned. Being vocally interested in such topics makes it easy to mistake our emotional reactions to things as coming from a place of logic and reason cuz as we've seen from JP you can make pretty much any nonsense sound logical if you wrap it up in smart sounding words.

That's where shit can get dangerous.

Last edited by: Fast-Orange on May 24, 2022, 4:46 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 24, 2022, 4:55 p.m.

I actually didn't have any rxn to the JP thing when I made my comment(s) as it was more about the posts here. It was after that when I went and had a look on twitter to see what exactly JP said and what the flap was about. That's part of the interesting thing for me, my comment wasn't directed at JP or his comments and I didn't include anything in my post to indicate that but certain assumptions where made about what I said anyway. I was going to quote one of the posts here but decided not to. My comment was more of a general statement on some of the discourse in this particular thread. Even after reading the JP tweet and a bunch of the responses I didn't have much of a reaction, some thoughts sure, but no emotional reaction at all to it. I do have thoughts on JP in general though.

Edit: lol, looking at your comment in the critical thinking thread you're waaaaay off base F.O.

Last edited by: syncro on May 24, 2022, 4:56 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 24, 2022, 5:43 p.m.

Posted by: Fast-Orange

Whenever a guy I know starts getting really into "logic" or "critical thinking" or "behavioral psychology" I start getting concerned. Being vocally interested in such topics makes it easy to mistake our emotional reactions to things as coming from a place of logic and reason cuz as we've seen from JP you can make pretty much any nonsense sound logical if you wrap it up in smart sounding words.

That's where shit can get dangerous.

Just as dangerous as people who gloss over things like the possible ramifications of Twitter having >50% bots on board.

How so? People who don't care to vote will vote for who they think is going to win based on basic popularity or who has the most friends bc they want to think they voted for the winner. That's not dealing with actual votes either.

May 25, 2022, 6:31 p.m.

Edit: lol, looking at your comment in the critical thinking thread you're waaaaay off base F.O.

Of course I'm off-base. I'm not a mind reader and if you hadn't noticed you didn't actually say anything leaving us to make guesses.

May 25, 2022, 9:18 p.m.

You could have asked for clarification instead of jumping to a negative conclusion.

May 26, 2022, 10:50 a.m.

You could have asked for clarification instead of jumping to a negative conclusion.

Sigh...

Could you please communicate more clearly so I don't jump to the incorrect conclusion? 

Thx in advance

May 27, 2022, 8:12 a.m.

Posted by: Fast-Orange

Sigh...

Could you please communicate more clearly so I don't jump to the incorrect conclusion? 

Thx in advance

May 27, 2022, 8:30 a.m.

Finally.

May 27, 2022, 8:58 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

Finally.

Just for your entertainment I'll continue.

For Fast Orange I'll reiterate that my comment was more of a general statement and wasn't aimed at the JP post as you thought. My statement was clear as to what it was about; me wondering whether people investigate statements beyond what they see on the screen. You could have addressed that as it sat without connecting it to the JP quote if you'd wanted. My statement and out subsequent responses are all tied together in terms of how we perceive and respond to information. I'm pretty sure you're aware of how bias and preconceptions can unfavourably influence the way people perceive info. That's what I was speaking to.

May 27, 2022, 10:49 a.m.

Meets expectations.

May 27, 2022, 11:01 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

Meets expectations.

same same