So Elon bought the twitter....

April 27, 2022, 10 p.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

Posted by: three-sheets

At least like the old days, we can still change the channel. Does anyone here even use twitter? I thought that was for the kids.

Unchecked propaganda echo chambers have never caused any damage.

Anyone remember when you shouldnt believe everything on the tele but now everyone believes the TV over the internet?

Semi similar to how the news is already reporting that Twitter could be used to sway elections. So how long does that go back lol

April 27, 2022, 10:03 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

As far as actual free speech is concerned this all goes back to the problem that online platforms are just media companies except the content is provided by the users for free.  Nobody has the right to free speech on Twitter any more than you do on the 6 o'clock news, but men with giant egos like Musk can't fathom the idea that they can't own the public forum and make it awesome for everyone cuz they're smart.

Not sure if it was Google as well as Twitter or either or but if one is considered a utility, then you can not provide censorship. And what if Musk just wants to own the public and the forum comes with it?

April 27, 2022, 10:06 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

exactly ^^ 

what a shit show this thread  was promising to be a subject where the freedom types quote amendment rights for the wrong country and atempt to over thro the government with their truck horns

poor old gun has had his shtick altered by NBR notice  he acts like an asshole much less often

Nooo I just post way less now. I'm still your huckleberry. And were you drunk or did you spill beer on your punctuation keys? I think that post answer's Mr Sheets' question about hows yer vax doing there budday.

April 28, 2022, 8:10 a.m.

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

Posted by: Fast-Orange

It'll be interesting to see how everyone reacts to "free speech" (which we dont have here on the nbr anymores). 

Define free speech.

I'd define it as: The freedom to say what you like without fear of reprisal; regardless of a person(s) orientation or hyprocrisy of it (you cant say that b/c I'm "xxx" but I can say and do whatever I like b/c I am "xxx" so na na).

And yes, that includes the dreaded hate speech and I'll even just allude to those "deniers" as well. Everyone has a right to it, even if or especially if you dont like it.  I know you all will have a hard time believing this but I'm a pretty indifferent mofo when it comes down to it. That's probably one reason why I'm still posting here.

FYI: What you’re describing is not protected by law in Canada.

April 28, 2022, 8:24 a.m.

you were able to decipher that word salad?

Last edited by: Couch_Surfer on April 28, 2022, 8:25 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 28, 2022, 8:34 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

It'll be interesting to see how everyone reacts to "free speech" (which we dont have here on the nbr anymores). 

Define free speech.

I'd define it as: The freedom to say what you like without fear of reprisal; regardless of a person(s) orientation or hyprocrisy of it (you cant say that b/c I'm "xxx" but I can say and do whatever I like b/c I am "xxx" so na na).

And yes, that includes the dreaded hate speech and I'll even just allude to those "deniers" as well. Everyone has a right to it, even if or especially if you dont like it.  I know you all will have a hard time believing this but I'm a pretty indifferent mofo when it comes down to it. That's probably one reason why I'm still posting here.

FYI: What you’re describing is not protected by law in Canada.

I am well aware of that.

April 28, 2022, 8:36 a.m.

you were able to decipher that word salad?

As a former food n beverage pro, may I offer to take that back to the kitchen and re-dice it?

IOW - I can dumb it down dumber for you.

April 28, 2022, 8:59 a.m.

I can dumb it down dumber for you.

We finally found something that we can agree on.  You are absolutely capable of dumbing things down to depths previously thought unreachable.

April 28, 2022, 9:05 a.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

As far as actual free speech is concerned this all goes back to the problem that online platforms are just media companies except the content is provided by the users for free.  Nobody has the right to free speech on Twitter any more than you do on the 6 o'clock news, but men with giant egos like Musk can't fathom the idea that they can't own the public forum and make it awesome for everyone cuz they're smart.

Not sure if it was Google as well as Twitter or either or but if one is considered a utility, then you can not provide censorship. And what if Musk just wants to own the public and the forum comes with it?

Neither is a utility.  The internet is, but Twitter and Google are not.  If your business is providing content to readers and viewers, your business is a media company.  Of course news media companies spread disinformation as well, but at least you can bring a legal case against them for it like Smartmatic did against Fox News for saying their election machines were rigged.

April 28, 2022, 12:15 p.m.

The money. 

I'm not sure I've ever looked at Twitter once ever.

April 28, 2022, 3:32 p.m.

I can dumb it down dumber for you.

We finally found something that we can agree on.  You are absolutely capable of dumbing things down to depths previously thought unreachable.

I go that extra mile so you fine people can understand me.

April 28, 2022, 7:46 p.m.

Define free speech.

Reprisal is an act of retaliation which could come in the form of a rebuttal of whatever shitty thing it is you had to say. 

See how your free speech is one sided? You want the right to say whatever you want but nobody else has the right to react negatively to it which is taking away their free speech. 

Your lack of free speech is nothing more than the lack of a safe space.

April 29, 2022, 7:16 a.m.

Yep. 

Ironically, since Canadian freedom is more the “freedom from” type and not the “freedom to” type, Canadian law is set up to provide those “safe spaces” when it’s actually necessary.

April 29, 2022, 10:20 a.m.

It's fascinating to watch in real time the strange ways in which people choose their priorities.  My sister is anti-vax, but she is a granola eating yoga liberal.  The other day she sent my brother and I a whole message about how great it is that Elon bought Twitter because her free speech in under attack in Canada.  She opposed the censorship of medical experts, doctors, etc concerning COVID.  When I pressed her for an example she had nothing, but she still certainly feels oppressed but can't explain how she is.  I wouldn't doubt she moves her vote to the conservatives.  I love her, but damn.  The funny thing is my brother in in Singapore so all he can do is laugh when she complains about government over reach.

April 29, 2022, 11:53 a.m.

^^ maybe these people are simply wanting the "freedom of ignorance"