So, been thinking of a career change

Dec. 28, 2007, 9:49 p.m.

Oh ya I know, and I know that I suck at writing resumes. Luckily a friend of mine looks at them all day long as well so already sent him a 1st draft for tweaking.

Good info though - writing a good resume is tough, made even tougher by the fact that it's subjective based on the reader.

I read somewhere, that if you haven't done it in the last ten years it doesn't count.
For instance, I was a aviation electronics tech in the coast guard…18 years ago.
Since then I've been a boat captain. So even writing it down turns into background
noise.

I think I'll have someone else prepare mine when I move.

Good luck on yours.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Dec. 28, 2007, 10:19 p.m.

I could always use a live in nanny.

A couple of things:
1) How does $8/hr sound?
2) Do you own a french maid outfit, and would you feel comfortable wearing one?

Dec. 28, 2007, 11:14 p.m.

If I have one piece of advice it is this.
Don't look for a job but look for work… they're not the same thing. If you got skillz you'll always find work.
Sounds like you got comfortable in your job for 12 years and didn't figure you needed to keep training or upgrading your skills.

My suggestion is don't throw the 12 years of experience away. If you were a tech guy then you have customer service experience. There are a ton of companies that need people who can do stuff like that in a whole host of industries.
GO BACK TO SCHOOL at night and take some courses that will compliment your work experience. This nightmare could happen all over again in a few years and when the economy isn't booming you'll be fighting for scraps with the rest of the unemployed ppl.
Face it… its dog eat dog out there and nobody's gonna give you nothing you haven't fought for.
Last thing… suck it up until you find something else. You can leverage yourself into a better position if you have the confidence you don't need the job badly… to be honest HR guys can smell despiration so you need that.
I've never had a job longer then 2 years cause I've always leveraged myself into more money, with more responsibilities. As soon as I get bored I'm gone.

To be honest you probably do have a bad attitude… your brain is screaming it wants a new challenge and to grow and instead you telling it to shut up and your probably miserable and it shows. Trust me I hire and fire people and know when someones time is up… its natural for people to want more.
So what you need to do is get excited because you're now at the breaking point and your not happy so you're in for some change… make sure the next time you make the move before you get to this point again.

Hope that helps.

~22Pride~

I do private bike camps as well but they are for ladies only and usually involve a sleepover.

Dec. 29, 2007, 2:26 a.m.

I could always use a live in nanny.

A couple of things:
1) How does $8/hr sound?
2) Do you own a french maid outfit, and would you feel comfortable wearing one?

Synchro would be all over that. He'd do a good job but I'd be wary about him making you ham sandwiches and then complaining about how mustard makes his ass itch.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Dec. 29, 2007, 2:36 a.m.

Synchro would be all over that. He'd do a good job but I'd be wary about him making you ham sandwiches and then complaining about how mustard makes his ass itch.

i think he'd be more concerned about me teaching his kids the story of jesus

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 29, 2007, 1:29 p.m.

Hey Heat. I wouldn't write off all the techical sales jobs. I work in technical sales (construction products) and most people I know only have a degree or less. You could also put your skills to work that way, but if you want to change gears I know a few trades guys working in elevators and refrigeration that make great money and don't have to spend any time in the elements.

Dec. 29, 2007, 1:43 p.m.

i think he'd be more concerned about me teaching his kids the story of jesus

Well they do need a bedtime story to put them to sleep.

Dec. 29, 2007, 1:50 p.m.

Hey Heat. I wouldn't write off all the techical sales jobs. I work in technical sales (construction products) and most people I know only have a degree or less. You could also put your skills to work that way, but if you want to change gears I know a few trades guys working in elevators and refrigeration that make great money and don't have to spend any time in the elements.

I'm not saying no to anything at this point. It's still early on in the process so it's a matter of getting input on various kinds of jobs/careers and narrowing it down to something I'll enjoy doing.

I do know that I'm sick and tired of office politics. There used to be none at this job now it's turning nto a mess of crap. Anyone able to confirm or burst my bubble about my hopes that most trades people encounter less day to day politics. I'm talking about the workers here, not anyone in management.

Dec. 29, 2007, 1:51 p.m.

One thing to add - if I'm going to go with a trade I'm inclined t get into something not directly reliant on the construction boom. My father was a union carpenter most of my life and I remember a few years in th 70's where he didn't work more than 6 to 9 months a year.