So, been thinking of a career change

Dec. 23, 2007, 12:01 p.m.

12 years @ the same company, some extra cash but no new opportunities, the boss has been less than pleasant lately - like being called on my cell on my day off to be told I have a bad f***ing attitude, threats of violence in emails, abuse language and being berated about my weight in front of other employees - even though I've lost lots. Yup, it's awesome .

Anyhow, not interested in doing anything else support/trouble shooting related unless it pays more than god (in which case on paper I don't have the skills anyhow). Thinking about trades (unskilled apprentice) but with my lily white skin don't think I'd survive more than a few summers.

Also thought about technical sales but again they want and MBA or more to start.

So, any trades that won't give me skin cancer that are worth pursuing as a 38yr old apprentice ? :D

PS - for once at least let it get to the 2nd or 3rd page before it hits the bowl. Thanks.

Dec. 23, 2007, 12:12 p.m.

how about Hydro work? I do realize you will still be outside but you are fairly covered up and for the parts of your body that are still exposed to the harsh UV rays sap on some sun screen. Other than that…… Cabinets, Painting, finishing work, renovations, Electricial?? I dunno, Those all seem to keep you out of the sun.

Dec. 23, 2007, 12:15 p.m.

Ya thought about applying @ BC Hydro actually. LOoking into that right now.

Also looking at all the reasons I can quit my job and collect EI while I look for a new one, and he's given me a few dozen valid reasons. Not that I want to collect EI - never have in 20 years of work - but this amount of BS might justify it short term.

Dec. 23, 2007, 12:16 p.m.

12 years @ the same company, some extra cash but no new opportunities, the boss has been less than pleasant lately - like being called on my cell on my day off to be told I have a bad f***ing attitude, threats of violence in emails, abuse language and being berated about my weight in front of other employees - even though I've lost lots. Yup, it's awesome .

didn't you say that you work from home? Is the abusive boss your wife? :lol:

GPABoosters: SFU/UBC course review database
:ukraine:

Youtube clips are about as useful to me as a miniskirt in Iran.

Dec. 23, 2007, 12:19 p.m.

didn't you say that you work from home? Is the abusive boss your wife? :lol:

heheh nah she's just demanding, not abusive. I do work from home but for a company.

Dec. 23, 2007, 12:23 p.m.

The reason I mentioned Hydro work is because a Journeyman makes a lot of money and while your an apprentice you can usually work a lot of overtime. Most apprentices start out at around $24/hr and if your working lots of overtime you can collect a lot of coin in a short amount of time. Maybe check out some smaller hydro contractors in your area, not just BC Hydro.

Dec. 23, 2007, 12:24 p.m.

you know, you could take this to WCB or some other court thing, sue his ass, get $$$$$ THEN quit

GPABoosters: SFU/UBC course review database
:ukraine:

Youtube clips are about as useful to me as a miniskirt in Iran.

Dec. 23, 2007, 12:24 p.m.

Ya I know but that's another thread for another time. He doens't have much worth taking anyhow at this time.

Dec. 23, 2007, 12:27 p.m.

If I were to do trades, I'd be an electrician.

here are a few reasons

-One of, if not, the highest paid job amongst all trades work
-Least strain on your body
-Eventually get a license to do contract work for others (perhaps do it as a side job on top of your regular hours for some extra $$)

Just to let you know, my buddy got a technology diploma from bcit, and the electricians there get paid like 50[HTML_REMOVED]#37; more than he does. Hell, they don't even let my buddy open up an electrical panel.

Dec. 23, 2007, 12:35 p.m.

Okay, sure electricians are perhaps the best trade, but it's still a trade. Working for BC Hydro puts you outside a lot. And there are tons of BC Hydro electricians that have huge scars from being electrocuted. I know my dad worked for BC Hydro as an electrician. If you're working around 20,000 volts you need to be able to concentrate for 8 hours a day and not get distracted. Can you be that focused?

Dec. 23, 2007, 12:41 p.m.

Okay, sure electricians are perhaps the best trade, but it's still a trade. Working for BC Hydro puts you outside a lot. And there are tons of BC Hydro electricians that have huge scars from being electrocuted. I know my dad worked for BC Hydro as an electrician. If you're working around 20,000 volts you need to be able to concentrate for 8 hours a day and not get distracted. Can you be that focused?

I can as long as i'm not allowed to login to nsmb.

Dec. 23, 2007, 12:46 p.m.

drywall taping is in doors it pays well and it's not that hard I just suggest wearing a mask when it comes time for sanding.

Dec. 23, 2007, 12:47 p.m.

I can as long as i'm not allowed to login to nsmb.

or if you can imagine electricity as a nice rack

"Fullness of knowledge always means some understanding of the depths of our ignorance; and that is always conducive to humility and reverence." - Robert Millikan

Dec. 23, 2007, 12:51 p.m.

drywall taping is in doors it pays well and it's not that hard I just suggest wearing a mask when it comes time for sanding.

YES! that too. But the people I worked with who did drywall taping always act like it's skill to do drywall taping. I've never tried it, and I don't know where you would acquire the skills/training to become one.

Dec. 23, 2007, 12:56 p.m.

harden the fuck up.

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"