snow tires (Merged Thread)

Nov. 28, 2016, 9 a.m.

A cheaper tire that I feel is one of the best I've had (Michelling, Hankook, Nokian, and General) is the General Altimax Arctic . I had mine studded and they were great up until they hit the wear bars. At the wear bars they needed to come off ASAP.

Nov. 28, 2016, 9:31 a.m.

Put Arctic Claw on the Subaru last winter.
Had the Winterforce on previous years till they were burned out.

They both have worked well but give the advantage to the Arctic Claws.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Nov. 28, 2016, 11:58 a.m.

So having fun with this especially with our 18 inch rims does anyone run a smaller rim size for their winter tires, seems like it would open the door for a wider range of tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

Nov. 28, 2016, 1:05 p.m.

The price was very right although I have the feeling they'll wear faster than other winters I've used in the past (blizzak, arctic claw etc).

Interesting. I had Blizzaks I bought already mounted with zilch milage on them and I thought the Nordics which came later withstood being abused on summer pave better than the Blizzaks.
Of course there was that road trip to Rogers Pass on the Blizzaks that didn't see any snow 'till we got to the parking lot at the top. =/

But I bought the Nordics 'cause I figured they cheap they'll last longer 'cause they don't have as sticky a compound as the higher end offerings. The sales guy at Fountain Marine Dr. seemed to agree, but, maybe he was just jerkin' my chain. :lol:

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Nov. 28, 2016, 3:56 p.m.

I had studded Arctic Claws (FWD sedan) when I lived in PG and they worked pretty damn well. I now have General Altimax Arctic (FWD hatchback) going into their 6th season and they are still doing well (6mm). Good lower mainland/Sea to Sky winter tire, feels decent in the rain, good enough for snowy parking lots like the Duffey.

Nov. 28, 2016, 4:48 p.m.

A cheaper tire that I feel is one of the best I've had (Michelling, Hankook, Nokian, and General) is the General Altimax Arctic . I had mine studded and they were great up until they hit the wear bars. At the wear bars they needed to come off ASAP.

My wife has these on her car. They are $100 at Canadian Tire. Good grip and really good value.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Nov. 28, 2016, 6:56 p.m.

Just reading some reviews of the Nokian WR G2 [HTML_REMOVED] some folks say they wear out quick. I am wondering with the tread design if you are able to rotate them? Nokian calls it an "all-weather plus" tire.

Thread killer

Nov. 28, 2016, 8:15 p.m.

I've been using the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2's for the last several years. I think I'm on my 3rd set?? I haven't used any other brands because they have just worked amazing in Vancouver's version of slush/wet snow.

Dec. 18, 2016, 7:54 p.m.

The Michelin LTX M/S tires I have on my truck are amazing in the snow. Just sayin'.

Thread killer

Dec. 18, 2016, 8 p.m.

Nice to see someone with a truck with snow tires. You tend to see more trucks in the ditch on the road up to Cypress than little cars.

I run 19" tires during the summer, but 18" Blizzak's in the winter. Glad I've had them on for the last few weeks.

Dec. 18, 2016, 8:40 p.m.

So having fun with this especially with our 18 inch rims does anyone run a smaller rim size for their winter tires, seems like it would open the door for a wider range of tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18" for summers, 17" for winters. Its a win/win. Tires are cheaper, you end up with narrower tires (better for snow) with a bigger sidewall as well.

Dec. 18, 2016, 8:40 p.m.

Nice to see someone with a truck with snow tires. You tend to see more trucks in the ditch on the road up to Cypress than little cars.

I run 19" tires during the summer, but 18" Blizzak's in the winter. Glad I've had them on for the last few weeks.

Michelin LTX M/S are not winter tires, they are all seasons. I run Nokian Rotiiva ATs on my truck. They are an 'all-weather' tire rather than an all season. They have the snowflake designation which means they are approved for winter use. Not a full on winter tire, but much better than an all season tire.

Dec. 18, 2016, 9 p.m.

Michelin LTX M/S are not winter tires, they are all seasons.

Correct.

Had these on our Element, was not impressed with snow performance. Now running snows - way better. The AWD Element with snows is like a mountain goat in current Vancouver conditions.

Dec. 18, 2016, 9:13 p.m.

What's the consensus on 'All Weather' tires as mentioned above? I didn't know such a thing existed until the other day. I've just not been using my car in shitty conditions as I've not fancied buying tires for three months only to take them off again…. Tires for my old Civic are not stupid money so maybe I'll take the plunge on a set. My Toyo M/S tires are a bit sketchy on wet tarmac so God know what they'd be like in proper crappy conditions.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Dec. 18, 2016, 9:20 p.m.

Snow tires for snow, everything else is a compromise. Huge +1 for going down a size for winter tires. When you drift a turn and curb it at 50, it's not so bad.

Ride: Ibis Mojo HD
Club: CMBA
Talent: None
:beer::canada: