snow tires (Merged Thread)

Aug. 2, 2018, 1:22 p.m.

Any suggestions for an Impreza? It's new to us and has 205/55R16 Potenzas right now.

Aug. 2, 2018, 2:07 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

yes but Nokian are simply zee best, and BTW you focking vangroovy-ist have it all wrong, you should be buying ze best snow tires BECAUSE you live down there

at -40 in PeeG you actualy got really good traction cuz the cold snow is so abrasive that the traction is really good, but as the temps gets closer to zero the worse the traction will be, what that means is the traction in Vangroovy is almost always pretty close to melting so it  will almost always be the worst traction possible combined with the worst drivers possible cuz of all those focking AZNs eh ?

but its not really the AZNs cuz up here they all gotta get to work just like the white guys so everybody  buys the same gear and gets around

its people who try to get by spending the least possible amount of money .

The two years I lived in PG were bad winters, and I did a lot of driving to Smithers, Powder King, Jasper, south to Kamloops/lower mainaldn and beyond... found it much harder winter driving up there than lower mainland. Down here you have a handful of bad days in the city with near freezing temps, but 95% of days are dry/wet pavement until you get north of Squamish or up 542 past Glacier or the Coquihala... not worth the premium for Nokian in my mind other than maybe how quiet the newer R3 is supposed to be!

Aug. 2, 2018, 2:50 p.m.

I can hop in the vehical and actualy drive somewhere but I slow down to < 90 kph on snow you must drive to conditions

In Vancover I would get as far as stuck behind  the guy with the summer tires ...might as well stay home

Aug. 3, 2018, 1:17 a.m.

Posted by: Madman

Any suggestions for an Impreza? It's new to us and has 205/55R16 Potenzas right now.

You looking for specific snow tire or an all season?

You should have lots of options in 16". Personally, I'm a fan of Michelin's, Pirelli's and Kumho's from my own experience.

Aug. 3, 2018, 9:48 a.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

Dedicated winters?  Id consider opting for some 'All-Weather' (not All-Season) tires and call it a day especially if your current all season are near the end of their life.  The ones I have had on my truck have been awesome.  Had the Nokian Rotiiva's last time, and opted for some BF Goodrich KO2 this time.  You wouldnt need something like the BF's on your Volvo, but the Nokians were great.

I had the same experience with my Nokian all weathers on my truck as well, good tire and didn't wear out fast.

Aug. 12, 2018, 6:39 p.m.

Posted by: Ninja

Dedicated winters?  Id consider opting for some 'All-Weather' (not All-Season) tires and call it a day especially if your current all season are near the end of their life.  The ones I have had on my truck have been awesome.  Had the Nokian Rotiiva's last time, and opted for some BF Goodrich KO2 this time.  You wouldnt need something like the BF's on your Volvo, but the Nokians were great.

I had the same experience with my Nokian all weathers on my truck as well, good tire and didn't wear out fast.

I've heard a lot of good things about all weathers. Most car people I ask about them are all dead set against them but everyone I know who actually has them says they'll never go back to faffing around with two sets of wheels.

Aug. 14, 2018, 1:18 p.m.

Posted by: Fast-Orange

I've heard a lot of good things about all weathers. Most car people I ask about them are all dead set against them but everyone I know who actually has them says they'll never go back to faffing around with two sets of wheels.

I might be one of them. I had dedicated summers and winters but the summers were only good above 12c and you could notice them change at around 10c and easily 6-8c. So that'd mean there was 2-4 months out of the year where I didnt quite need winters yet but the summers were out of their element. I still have a set of mounted winters but I may not need them for another 6 years going by Vancouver snow fall and I'll trust my Michelin AS3+ for now.

That being said, I do miss the Mich Pilot Super Sports for summer though. Freaking unbelievable.

Aug. 14, 2018, 3:36 p.m.

Posted by: Fast-Orange

They are definitely a compromise in some respects.  For me personally, living in Vancouver (where we get snow very rarely) and the weekend trips to the mountains they work great.  They wont do as well as a full blown snow/ice tire when the conditions get really bad, but that is a very very small portion of their driving time if at all.

Aug. 15, 2018, 8:25 a.m.

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

Posted by: Madman

You should have lots of options in 16". Personally, I'm a fan of Michelin's, Pirelli's and Kumho's from my own experience.

Thinking General Gmax AS03 will be good.

Aug. 24, 2018, 10:03 p.m.

Ended up with General Altimax Arctic 12's on OEM wheels from 1010tires.com for about $175 less than OKTire would do on a set of 4... will see how they do this winter.

Sept. 6, 2018, 11:51 a.m.

Anyone use both the Nokain R2s and the R3s and can compare the differences?

Sept. 6, 2018, 1:55 p.m.

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD3C1cg3448

Sept. 6, 2018, 2:03 p.m.

Ah eff it.  Went HAM with the Nokians today.

Ordered a set of R3s for her Impreza Wagon, another set of WRG4s for her summer rims and a set of WRG4s for my commuter car.

Sept. 7, 2018, 3:58 p.m.

Let us know how the R3's perform versus past tires...

Sept. 8, 2018, 11:31 a.m.

FYI Nokian also has a lower priced line at Kal Tire (Nordman?) that uses their past designs.  Good value for tires that were good enough until the new version came out.