Snow tires

Dec. 11, 2008, 5:36 a.m.

for Vancouver, wouldn't it be cheaper just to call in sick on the snow days…. don't we get like 2 days a year of snow ?

:canada:

Dec. 11, 2008, 7:08 a.m.

for Vancouver, wouldn't it be cheaper just to call in sick on the snow days…. don't we get like 2 days a year of snow ?

true,
I mount up the winter tires for going out of town…up mt wash, old logging roads for snowshoeing, into the interior, plus the highway on the island can get nasty when the storms roll in,

Dec. 11, 2008, 9:29 a.m.

Cooper discoverer M/S…decent price and an excellent tire.

Dont waste your money on soft compound tires for vancouver,they're meant for cold weather driving on ICY roads,not slushy roads….

The Discover only come in sizes for trucks. The car version looks similar and is called Weathermaster.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Dec. 11, 2008, 10:09 a.m.

I don't run snowies, but I keep a set of chains in the trunk during winter. And I actually know how to install the suckers. That gets me through the 2-3 days a year when driving conditions are slick as snot.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Dec. 11, 2008, 10:30 a.m.

Did anyone see the report on the news the other night? It seems as though the genius's that passed the law did so a month or so after the deadline for all of the stores to place their orders for this winter season.

So not only did the stores not have the opportunity to capitalize on the enforced demand, but now there isn't even enough tires to go around….

Dec. 11, 2008, 12:23 p.m.

I would look at the Nokian WR's

http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=11884[HTML_REMOVED]group=1.02[HTML_REMOVED]name=Nokian%20WR

Essentially an all weather tyre with a winter rating. Your pretty much can put them on and forget about. God knows the only time your really need a winter tyre is just before you actually put them on.

Dec. 11, 2008, 2:41 p.m.

So many people running around on snow tires/studded tires already. I dont get it we get like 10" of snow a year and the days that it does its easier just to take the day off. I understand for the people commuting the sea to sky or coq all the time though.

im pissed they already "brined" the roads, liquid salt [HTML_REMOVED] my car.

last year I ran around on bald summer performance tires in the snow, no slipping, no stucks, nothing.. was going to go to Mt.Washington with it but apparently chains were mandatory and theres not enough wheel gap on that car to fit chains.

Dec. 11, 2008, 3:24 p.m.

Skip snow tires and get some tracks

Dec. 11, 2008, 3:45 p.m.

Skip snow tires and get some tracks

Awesome!! The apex of practicality!

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Dec. 11, 2008, 5:39 p.m.

I would look at the Nokian WR's

http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=11884[HTML_REMOVED]group=1.02[HTML_REMOVED]name=Nokian%20WR

Essentially an all weather tyre with a winter rating. Your pretty much can put them on and forget about. God knows the only time your really need a winter tyre is just before you actually put them on.

I've got 4 of these on my 4WD SUV. No problems last winter, and that's where it snows! Winter-rated tire with an 80000 km warranty which I don't think you'll see on any snow tire.
Similar tread pattern as the Hakkapellitas. Not the cheapest, but not the most expensive either.

ski faster, I hear banjo music

Dec. 11, 2008, 5:53 p.m.

I was going to buy a set of winter tires for my subaru, but considering I need new all seasons anyway, and after hearing a few first-hand stories of the conditions people have driven subaru wagons with just quality all-season rubber, I think I'm going to go that route instead.

Where can I get those Nokian WR's in Vancouver? I don't want to buy online, or across the line. I'd also need them mounted and balanced.

This space intentionally left blank.

Dec. 11, 2008, 7:02 p.m.

Dont waste your money on soft compound tires for vancouver,they're meant for cold weather driving on ICY roads,not slushy roads….

Uniroyal dissagrees with you.

A good rule of thumb is to put winter tires on when the temperature drops to 7 degrees C.

http://www.cartest.ca/winter_tire_tips.htm

So does the Automobile Protection Agency (APA)

Temperature

The rubber in all-season tires can begin to lose its elasticity in temperatures as warm as 7[HTML_REMOVED]#176; C. The softer rubber compounds used in the construction of dedicated winter tires maintain their pliability, and therefore their grip, in temperatures going down to about -30[HTML_REMOVED]#176; C.

http://www.apa.ca/template.asp?DocID=97

So does Pirelli

Instead of waiting for that first snowfall, Pirelli suggests that seven degrees C is the temperature where drivers should be switching to winter tires. Above that temperature, the tread compound of a winter tire can wear quickly, although they still meet all tire safety requirements and can be driven on the highway at normal speed. Below that temperature, the winter tires quickly begin to outperform other types of tires, providing the traction and safety drivers want on cold road surfaces.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/winter/at_winter-tire-time.php

Having driven both in Vancouver for many years, for winter conditions I'll take the snow tires.

Dec. 11, 2008, 7:08 p.m.

Awesome!! The apex of practicality!

Kn.

Ya, putting them on a H2 might not be the best use, but there are real reason to use them.

Dec. 11, 2008, 7:16 p.m.

If you do a bit of searching you'll find that these are actually a Goodyear Europe tire, that is why Cdn Tire has exclusive rights to them here, even the Goodyear stores don't have them.

http://eu.goodyear.com/home_en/tires/repository/UltraGrip500/index.jsp

Dec. 11, 2008, 7:40 p.m.

I worked for Kal Tire a few years back so call em biased but I'm a Nokian fan. The hakkapolitas sp? are awesome. I'm on my third set of Vativa's for the various vehicles I've owned and I drive with them from Calgary to Vancovuer and They're quiet on the highway never hydroplane, and grip snow and ice just amazing. They aren't cheap tho and I think there only a light truck tire. So those hakkapolitas get my vote

I have had studded hak I's ,II's ,5's and nokians are THE best snow tire in the world

I have got great service from kal tire and thats at the smithers , PeeG,quesnel ,100 mile locations ,when I had problems they did the right thing …if you are a road warrior go Kal tire IMO