Smuggling Cubans to the US

Oct. 7, 2009, 4:35 p.m.

Anyone know how strict the US customs guys are on bringing Cuban cigars across the border? I[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;m going to be flying down to Arizona in the next month or so to visit family down there and my brother in law has asked if I could bring some Cuban cigars. I know they aren[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;t [HTML_REMOVED]#8216;allowed[HTML_REMOVED]#8217; in the US, but I[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;m not quite sure just where they fall in the spectrum of [HTML_REMOVED]#8216;illegal[HTML_REMOVED]#8217; vs. [HTML_REMOVED]#8216;can[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;t import[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;.

What happens if I get caught? Do they just get confiscated? Or do I get to grab my ankles for the [HTML_REMOVED]#8216;rubber glove[HTML_REMOVED]#8217; treatment and get banned from the US for 10 years?

I[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;m also travelling with my wife and young daughter [HTML_REMOVED]#8211; even more reason I am wondering about possible problems.

Oct. 7, 2009, 4:41 p.m.

Driving across? Suuper easy to drive shit across, I wouldn't think twice about it. Worst they'll do is confiscate it I believe.. Probably not going to gitmo.

FAMILYBIKERIDE
823/Ringle rear wheel FS!
http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=103825

i went black over two years ago and haven't gone back

Oct. 7, 2009, 5:56 p.m.

If you get caught with them, i assume they would be confiscated and you may be fined. I know they have a tendency to do that when you do not declare items, adding to that the prohibited nature of the cigars.

Oct. 7, 2009, 5:58 p.m.

If you are really worried, take the bands off.

Oct. 7, 2009, 6:10 p.m.

Shove them up yer bum.

Edit: And yer wifes bum. I'll stop here.

fuck lmm

I like how he casually dropped the "I'm famous" bomb.
LMM, if I ever see you at Whistler, make sure Schne is close by to take a picture of me punching you in the balls.

i dont post anymore unless its a lmm thread
such a tool

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonfrodomacfarlane/sets/

Oct. 7, 2009, 6:45 p.m.

take the bands off.

Oct. 7, 2009, 8:02 p.m.

If you are really worried, take the bands off.

Problem is that they are gonna want to know the origin of any tobacco product and will want some kind of documentation like a reciept.

One way around it is to buy a cheap box of cigars remove their bands, toss the cigars (or smoke them), and keep the reciept. Then put the cheap bands on the Cubans, put them in the cheap box with the reciept and cross the border. Mail the original Cuban bands seperately in an envelope to the destination. Whoever recieves the cigars can reattach the original Cuban bands so they can brag to their friends if they wish.

Works good…….so I hear…8)

Now….if you are talking about CUBANS….. I find 3 or 4 fit in my trunk nicely….just make sure you punch a couple breathing holes in the floor :D

Oct. 7, 2009, 8:09 p.m.

A co-worker of mine tried to bring some down wanting to impress a client. Not sure if he declared them or if they were discovered through questioning or search, but he had to break each one in half and leave it in the customs garbage can. No fine, the wasted $300 was probably enough of a spanking.

Oct. 7, 2009, 8:10 p.m.

those aren't Cubans, they are Dominicans.

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

Oct. 7, 2009, 8:21 p.m.

http://cigars.about.com/od/legalhealthissues/a/cubancigars.htm

huh. go figure.

Oct. 7, 2009, 8:24 p.m.

does your friend really want them?

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/clearing/restricted/cuban_cigars.xml

Prohibitions on Cuban Cigars
The revival of interest in cigars and cigar smoking underscores the need to remind the public of the prohibitions that have been in place for many years with respect to cigars of Cuban origin. The number of attempted importations of Cuban cigars into the United States is rising and because dealing in such cigars may lead to Treasury enforcement actions, the public should be aware of [HTML_REMOVED]#8212; and make every effort to observe [HTML_REMOVED]#8212; the prohibitions which are in effect.

There is a total ban on the importation into the United States of Cuban-origin cigars and other Cuban-origin tobacco products. This prohibition extends to such products acquired in Cuba, irrespective of whether a traveler is licensed by Office of Foreign Asset Controls (OFAC) to engage in Cuba travel-related transactions, and to such products acquired in third countries by any U.S. Traveler, including purchases at duty-free shops. Contrary to what many people may believe, it is illegal for travelers to bring into the United States Cuban cigars acquired in third countries, such as Canada, United Kingdom, or Mexico.

Importation of Cuban-origin cigars and other Cuban-origin tobacco products is prohibited whether the goods are purchased by the importer or given to the importer as a gift. Similarly, the import ban extends to Cuban-origin cigars and other Cuban-origin tobacco products offered for sale over the Internet or through a catalog.

It is also illegal for U.S. persons to buy, sell, trade, or otherwise engage in transactions involving illegally-imported Cuban cigars. The penalties for doing so include, in addition to confiscation of the cigars, civil fines of up to $55,000 per violation and in appropriate cases, criminal prosecution which may result in higher fines and/or imprisonment.

These prohibitions are applicable to all goods of Cuban origin and are an important element of the comprehensive program of economic sanctions against the Cuban Government which have been in place since 1963. Those sanctions have had the support of the last seven Administrations.

The U.S. Treasury Department, Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), administers the embargo of Cuba. Suspected embargo violations may be reported telephonically to OFAC Enforcement Division at (202) 622-2430 or via facsimile at (202) 622-1657.

Oct. 8, 2009, 8:55 a.m.

does your friend really want them?

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/clearing/restricted/cuban_cigars.xml

That's enough to tell me that if I got the wrong customs guy (most seem to be OK, but…) when I enter the US, it has potential to get ugly.

I'll buy my bro-in-law some Malboros at the duty free instead. :)

Oct. 8, 2009, 9:07 a.m.

I stuffed a couple boxes of Cohibas into my backpack and made it through the airlines no problem from Cuba.
GTFI.

viperfunk.com

Oct. 8, 2009, 10:39 a.m.

yikes, just get dominicans

Just because I like boys doesn't mean I want to go out with Mike.

Oct. 8, 2009, 10:45 a.m.

??