Smart Meters?

Nov. 23, 2011, 11:20 a.m.

That's technology for you. We don't have blacksmiths and the like anymore either (besides the hobbyists).

In the future, we'll have meter reader hobbyists, except they'll be known by a new name - "rapists".

Nov. 23, 2011, 11:24 a.m.

In the future, we'll have meter reader hobbyists, except they'll be known by a new name - "rapists".

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

Nov. 23, 2011, 11:26 a.m.

How ironic is it, that when you need help, its the rapist, um I mean, therapist you go to see.

Nov. 23, 2011, 12:18 p.m.

Good grief. Are people really that paranoid. Really, if you are a normal user of electricity, then you will show as being a normal user, therefore, nothing to be afraid of, if you run a grow op, they can tell, but how many grow ops are legitimately on the grid now?
They can't tell what devices you are using unless the device itself has a sensor that links into the smart meter, and even then, I have no problem with anyone knowing how much toast I make.

The benefits of the smart meter are undeniable: Change the rates for peak hours to offset operating costs and simultaneously force people to be more aware of their power usage so that they can even out the usage throughout a day so BC doesn't have to import peak hour power.

One thing I never got about these Big Brother conspiracy theorists is how they overlook the massive amount of labour required to mine data about any given individual, and secondly, what they are doing that they are so afraid of everything.

Nov. 23, 2011, 12:42 p.m.

He's right that there is an invasion of privacy, but some of the things he says are bullshit trying to falsely escalate his point.

The smart meter can ONLY measure one thing, and that's electricity power over time. You can't detect shit like how much TV you watch, and or when you use your electric toothbrush…

But overall, I think this device IS an invasion of privacy. Why do the hell do they need to monitor EVERY single person's home? Why not install only ONE smart meter per street block/grid if they want take data analysis.

The only true benefit of this system is that individual households can monitor their OWN power usage that isn't broadcasted.

Nov. 23, 2011, 12:58 p.m.

But overall, I think this device IS an invasion of privacy. Why do the hell do they need to monitor EVERY single person's home? Why not install only ONE smart meter per street block/grid if they want take data analysis.

Maybe this isn't obvious, but they need to meter individual homes in order to charge them for the energy they use.

I am sure they have already installed similar meters at the district or substation or whatever-it's-called level already. That's how they will be able to track down grow ops, or anyone else who is bypassing a meter.

Nov. 23, 2011, 1:04 p.m.

I am sure they have already installed similar meters at the district or substation or whatever-it's-called level already.

Yes, the system is metered with feedback at the sub-station level, after that the system is dumb. To the system it is just one large load instead of thousands of smaller loads.

Nov. 23, 2011, 1:12 p.m.

That's technology for you. We don't have blacksmiths and the like anymore either (besides the hobbyists). Sure these people may lose their jobs, but other jobs will open up in other sectors. When one door closes, another opens.

:announce: You are smokin' crack! :lol:

The US economy is in a deeping recession from which recovery is not possible, because American middle class jobs in manufacturing and professional services have been offshored and given to foreigners. US GPD, consumer purchasing power, and the tax base have been handed over to China, India, and Indonesia in order that Wall Street, shareholders, and corporate CEOs can earn more.

Paul Craig Roberts was Assistant Secretary of the US Treasury, Associate Editor of the Wall Street Journal, and professor of economics in six universities.

News flash: Right to work laws have impoverished the citizenry of the southeast US to such an extent that it is now becoming profitable for corporations to produce goods domestically.

http://http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2011/08/12/bc-hydro-reaction.html

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Nov. 23, 2011, 1:22 p.m.

:announce: You are smokin' crack! :lol:

Paul Craig Roberts was Assistant Secretary of the US Treasury, Associate Editor of the Wall Street Journal, and professor of economics in six universities.

News flash: Right to work laws have impoverished the citizenry of the southeast US to such an extent that it is now becoming profitable for corporations to produce goods domestically.

First off, what does this have to do with the southeast US? I thought we were talking about BC hydro smart meters and how that'll lay off 400 people.

Secondly, jobs are out there. It's not all doom and gloom. If these 400 want jobs, they can find them. They may have to get new training and education in able to meet labor demands in current markets, but jobs are out there.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
— Sigmund Freud

:canada: :usa:

Nov. 23, 2011, 1:32 p.m.

pretty easy to compare your usage to the meter reading too.. +-2% or so.

http://www.powermeterstore.com/p7774/ted_5000_home_energy_monitor.php

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Nov. 23, 2011, 1:35 p.m.

How important are smart meters for people that want to generate their own power and sell the excess back to the grid?

Nov. 23, 2011, 1:36 p.m.

First off, what does this have to do with the southeast US? I thought we were talking about BC hydro smart meters and how that'll lay off 400 people.

Secondly, jobs are out there. It's not all doom and gloom. If these 400 want jobs, they can find them. They may have to get new training and education in able to meet labor demands in current markets, but jobs are out there.

Ya, I am for government always keeping employment as a top priority but if your job goes extinct that is just the facts of life.

Nov. 23, 2011, 1:42 p.m.

How important are smart meters for people that want to generate their own power and sell the excess back to the grid?

BC has a pretty shit feed-in tariff, unless solar panels were 30 cents a watt, it's not economical yet.

http://www.bchydro.com/planning_regulatory/acquiring_power/net_metering.html

in particular, this PDF:

http://www.bchydro.com/etc/medialib/internet/documents/info/pdf/info_net_metering_tariff.Par.0001.File.info_net_metering_tariff.pdf

8.16 cents per kWh.

you need a different sort of meter to feed the grid, but the same company that makes bchydro's smart meters also makes models that are used with (for example) PV systems feeding into the grid in California.

"Bicycling is a healthy and manly pursuit with much to recommend it, and, unlike other foolish crazes, it has not died out."
- The Daily Telegraph (1877)

Nov. 23, 2011, 1:56 p.m.

I'm using the article, loosely, as an example.
Generally, as America goes, so does Canada. Would you argue that the two countries economies are not deeply intertwined?

Secondly, jobs are out there………..jobs are out there.

Show me the $.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Nov. 23, 2011, 1:59 p.m.

The benefits of the smart meter are undeniable: Change the rates for peak hours to offset operating costs and simultaneously force people to be more aware of their power usage so that they can even out the usage throughout a day so BC doesn't have to import peak hour power.

Counterpoint: Overall, smart meters will do little to reduce household energy consumption.