Small trucks

Nov. 24, 2016, 10:01 p.m.

Diesel fuel is often more expensive than RUG in north america and specificaly now in BC , so were small diesels in small trucks actualy good on fuel or was diesel just cheaper in the countries where you could actualy buy a small diesel truck ?

repairs can be very expensive on a TDi, also they sometimes don't start so well in the cold

Now days gas engines put out lots of HP and are very cheap/reliable

this^^ would all still apply to a base model or a loaded model but has anybody done cost per km analysis of a RUG vs Diesel model, how long do you need to run one to pay off the increased cost of the engine and how do you do that with the fuel cost all over the place and often [HTML_REMOVED] RUG as it is nowadays or is it unnecessary because they are just so fucking sexy?

yes. at great length. see this article about the then new Dodge ram ecodiesel. the math is compelling and it takes a shit long time to pay off the premium for the diesel. however the guy also states the driving difference and performance is significant enough to be a moot point for some.
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2014/02/gas-versus-diesel-do-the-math-first.html

Nov. 24, 2016, 10:20 p.m.

Thank-you for that, instead of just repeating the mantra actualy doing the math or at least finding some math.

That dodge is a half ton so even a little bigger than the mid size focus group

Nov. 25, 2016, 12:17 a.m.

yes. at great length. see this article about the then new Dodge ram ecodiesel. the math is compelling and it takes a shit long time to pay off the premium for the diesel. however the guy also states the driving difference and performance is significant enough to be a moot point for some.
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2014/02/gas-versus-diesel-do-the-math-first.html

Diesel and gas prices are the same here. Use that figure and the fuel savings for the highway driving would be $450 a year, and therefore requires eight years to break even.

What it doesn't measure is mileage when under load, which would be useful for someone who pulls a trailer or carries a big load.

A friend bought the ecodiesel. Here it's almost $6K extra. Definitely lugs better than the V6.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Nov. 25, 2016, 7:41 a.m.

I've been finding diesel is usually a couple cents cheaper than gas.

My old truck was an easy $100 a week on gas. New truck much more efficient at +- $100 for two weeks.

With the cost of the truck I'm not saving money but I am enjoying the diesel. I'm really looking forward to trying it out with my trailer.

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

Nov. 25, 2016, 7:42 a.m.

Also misses the extra maintenance expense. Diesels will last forever but not without some love. And lord help you if you need injectors etc along the way.

Nov. 25, 2016, 8:19 a.m.

when I ran Diesel in 2001 it averaged 12cents a litre cheaper than rug in Canada but it was always more expensive in the USA, now days when I look diesel could be cheaper or it could be more expensive, the price is all over the map and I think thats due to the oil companies shipping Diesel abroad?

As counselor points out high maintenance will increase your COST PER KM, I never had any engine probs with my TDi's but replacing the timing belt every 120,000km was still 1500$.

if you need to pull a load then you need a big truck with deisel but we aren't necessarily talking about pulling a load, we are talking small to medium sized trucks in a country where small vehicles burn RUG, I would say gas engines have got better milage/power and diesels possibly have not?

Refinery shutdowns, supply/demand, time of year … the price of fuel is about many more things than the price of a barrel of oil

Nov. 25, 2016, 11:18 a.m.

A new V8 short box F150. That takes me back a few years. Blast to drive and I do smile when I see one on the road.

For me the diesel isn't about savings anymore given the manufacturers did the math on the economy and charge you for the privilege of saving at the pump. What the diesel offers is the torque and the range. Going 700km or 1,000km on a tank of fuel would be pretty nice on road trips. It'd also be nice having great low end torque with a fully loaded truck on steep logging roads.

Nov. 25, 2016, 4:02 p.m.

I like my 4.0L V6 and 6spd combo, Not shelling out for a diesel anytime soon, 12.5L/100km average isn't breaking the bank. The ZR2 is cool, just can't imagine wheeling something that shiny and expensive, I cringe enough scratching up my 7 year old truck.

Nov. 26, 2016, 6:50 a.m.

I like my 4.0L V6 and 6spd combo, Not shelling out for a diesel anytime soon, 12.5L/100km average isn't breaking the bank. The ZR2 is cool, just can't imagine wheeling something that shiny and expensive, I cringe enough scratching up my 7 year old truck.

Frontier I am guessing. I just sold my 4.0L/6spd crew cab. That is a great engine/trans combo. The minivan I replaced the truck with is harder on fuel.

http://www.wildrootsphotography.ca/

Nov. 26, 2016, 7:43 a.m.

Frontier I am guessing. I just sold my 4.0L/6spd crew cab. That is a great engine/trans combo. The minivan I replaced the truck with is harder on fuel.

Yeah its a nice setup, I have the king cab. What van did you get?

Nov. 26, 2016, 8:01 p.m.

Yeah its a nice setup, I have the king cab. What van did you get?

A winter beater Pontiac Montana with a 3.4L. A stark reminder of the difference in quality control compared to a Toyota/Honda/Nissan.

http://www.wildrootsphotography.ca/