Small Space Living?

June 29, 2007, 3:51 p.m.

Hey,

I just looked into a 397 sq.ft bachelor apartment and was curious to as if anyone else on the board has or is living in similar conditions? The apartment consists of a bathroom two closets, kitchen/livingroom and a nice storage space for the bike and mini deep freeze where the hot water tank it. I'm trying to reason with myself that 397 sq ft isn't that bad at all. Pretty much i'd live in the same room 24 hours a day aside from the bathroom. I'd have to be pretty selective about my furniture and crafty on my storage. Anyone out there living in shoeboxes too?

June 29, 2007, 3:57 p.m.

Having shared places with people… and small ones at that all I can say is that if you have enough storage you should be fine.

How much time do you spend in the house anyways…

Just be crafty with the furniture.

Dan

www.steedcycles.com

June 29, 2007, 3:57 p.m.

June 29, 2007, 3:58 p.m.

fold down beds are the shit.
if my plan to sell waterbeds fails i will sell those.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

June 29, 2007, 4:02 p.m.

400 sq ft is easy to live in as a single person, but not in prince george.

400 sq ft works in mild urban climates where you can get out and about 365.

turn off sigs…it will change your life

June 29, 2007, 4:16 p.m.

that fold down bed is incredibly pimp. I work at least 40 hours every week if not more. Winter time is when my job tends to slow down. I am still contemplating if its big enough or not. One of the key things is its incredibly affordable. Also it would not be hard to pay off then eventually I will build.

June 29, 2007, 4:34 p.m.

Hey,

I lived in a place that sounds very much like that. The only diff was it had a small alcove w/curtain across that fit a queen bed. It was awesome! My wife (girlfriend at the time) lived with me for 3 months before we opted for a 1 br appt. It was just fine for the 2 of us. I say giver if the rent isn't too steep!

June 29, 2007, 4:41 p.m.

lloyd you can find way better 1br places that have a little space for around $450. the first place we had was about that size and so uncomfortable that we went out all the time and spent more money than had we gotten a bigger place. i can assure you in the winter you will want a bigger place because when you spend a ton of time in there it will feel like the walls are closing in on you.

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

June 29, 2007, 5:12 p.m.

lloyd you can find way better 1br places that have a little space for around $450. the first place we had was about that size and so uncomfortable that we went out all the time and spent more money than had we gotten a bigger place. i can assure you in the winter you will want a bigger place because when you spend a ton of time in there it will feel like the walls are closing in on you.

This is to purchase not to rent. My plan is to live in it for awhile pay it off and then build my own house and keep the apartment and rent it out too someone fully furnished. That or I am still contemplating my stay in Prince George. It may just be a place for construction season and then go south for winter.

June 29, 2007, 5:13 p.m.

Oh keep in mind I will be living there by myself.

June 29, 2007, 5:52 p.m.

To buy eh? I don't know…

I rented a small one-bedroom in Whistler. It was a good size, because it had a small living room too, so I didn't feel like I was in the same room all the time. If it was smaller, I don't know if I would have gone for it. There will be days when you don't want to make your bed, then your whole appt will look bad.

Plus, I'm a messy person…a small place would get cluttered really fast.

June 29, 2007, 6:02 p.m.

[QUOTE=Bj

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

June 29, 2007, 6:53 p.m.

If you have ever watched Coronation Street on the telly you may have noticed that a lot (probably the majority) of housing in the UK consists of terrace housing and semi detached (i.e. duplex) houses. I used to live in what was considered a large semi detached house at 870 sq ft, for a family of 4, a dog two cats, and the goldfish.

So 387 sq ft for one person might be considered to be down right palatial, but it's all relative.

Just think of it as less cleaning!

Hope you enjoy the new place.

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

June 29, 2007, 10:33 p.m.

its either buy the apartment for $54k or buy the current condo i live in that is 1420sq ft for $180k. I'm contemplating both options. One is substantially pricier then the other. Currently the condo is in a family members name.

June 30, 2007, 12:19 a.m.

If I was single and childless, I would get a studio. If you are buying.. I am not sure how great of an investment that would be depending on location.. But if its renting I would do it.

My friend has a place around the same size. I don't think its that bad, it is rare that she has guests over, so its only her there. If I had to, I could live out of my room… I have a 4 bedroom right now and it is so empty becuase I am used to living in apartments, or with someone.