Sierrasil

July 2, 2013, 6:30 p.m.

Thought I would share this from a source:

"Serriasil is a combination of clay based minerals from the Sierra Mountains in the US. It looks like it has been subject to one controlled trial in those with mild to moderate knee OA, but the authors concluded that “In all sierrasil treated groups there was a significantly faster onset of benefits from initial values (evident from week 1 to 2) compared to placebo (first evident at week 6) but at the conclusion of the study differences between groups was not significant.”
http://www.journal-inflammation.com/content/2/1/11

While their product does have an NPN number with Health Canada, they don’t list their product ingredients on the governmental registration but online it contains:
•Calcium 23mg
•Potassium 20mg
•Sodium + 12mg
•Aluminium 6mg
•Phosphorus 3.1mg
•Magnesium 2.2mg
•Iron ** 1.2mg
•Silicon ++ 1.0mg
•Manganese 0.15mg
•Barium ˆ 0.10mg
•Copper 0.033mg
•Cobalt ˆ ˆ 0.014mg
•Zinc 0.014mg

The fact that it contains aluminum (a neurotoxin) and that the long term blinded results are not promising, I would not recommend this product."

I have no filter …

July 2, 2013, 7:20 p.m.

Thought I would share this from a source:

"Serriasil is a combination of clay based minerals from the Sierra Mountains in the US. It looks like it has been subject to one controlled trial in those with mild to moderate knee OA, but the authors concluded that “In all sierrasil treated groups there was a significantly faster onset of benefits from initial values (evident from week 1 to 2) compared to placebo (first evident at week 6) but at the conclusion of the study differences between groups was not significant.”
http://www.journal-inflammation.com/content/2/1/11

While their product does have an NPN number with Health Canada, they don’t list their product ingredients on the governmental registration but online it contains:
•Calcium 23mg
•Potassium 20mg
•Sodium + 12mg
•Aluminium 6mg
•Phosphorus 3.1mg
•Magnesium 2.2mg
•Iron ** 1.2mg
•Silicon ++ 1.0mg
•Manganese 0.15mg
•Barium ˆ 0.10mg
•Copper 0.033mg
•Cobalt ˆ ˆ 0.014mg
•Zinc 0.014mg

The fact that it contains aluminum (a neurotoxin) and that the long term blinded results are not promising, I would not recommend this product."

Unfortunately, your "source" proved themselves unreliable with the claim of aluminum being a neurotoxin. Wikipedia to the rescue:

The effects of aluminium in antiperspirants has been examined over the course of decades with little evidence of skin irritation.[6] Nonetheless, its occurrence in antiperspirants, dyes (such as aluminium lake), and food additives is controversial in some quarters. Although there is little evidence that normal exposure to aluminium presents a risk to healthy adults,[74] some studies point to risks associated with increased exposure to the metal.[75] Aluminium in food may be absorbed more than aluminium from water.[76] Some researchers have expressed concerns that the aluminium in antiperspirants may increase the risk of breast cancer,[77] and aluminium has controversially been implicated as a factor in Alzheimer's disease.[78] The Camelford water pollution incident involved a number of people consuming aluminium sulfate. Investigations of the long-term health effects are still ongoing, but elevated brain aluminium concentrations have been found in post-mortem examinations of victims, and further research to determine if there is a link with cerebral amyloid angiopathy has been commissioned.[79]

According to the Alzheimer's Society, the medical and scientific opinion is that studies have not convincingly demonstrated a causal relationship between aluminium and Alzheimer's disease.[80] Nevertheless, some studies, such as those on the PAQUID cohort,[81] cite aluminium exposure as a risk factor for Alzheimer's disease. Some brain plaques have been found to contain increased levels of the metal.[82] Research in this area has been inconclusive; aluminium accumulation may be a consequence of the disease rather than a causal agent. In any event, if there is any toxicity of aluminium, it must be via a very specific mechanism, since total human exposure to the element in the form of naturally occurring clay in soil and dust is enormously large over a lifetime.[83][84] Scientific consensus does not yet exist about whether aluminium exposure could directly increase the risk of Alzheimer's disease.

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

July 3, 2013, 10:51 a.m.

The reason they do that is because part of the MSP billing system formula includes payment per visit.

The more visits per day, the more money they make.
Of course, MSP put a limit on the number of patients that the doctor can see, but if they bang off their 22 patients before lunch they can make some extra cash reading xrays, or speaking at functions. Hell, on a day like today, they're probably golfing!

Not that there's anything wrong with that… per se.
The problem stems from doctors wanting the 10,000 square foot White Rock home, and the silver R8. You can't get that by following the system, so you have what I'm dealing with where your doctor demands that you make a new appointment, therefore ensuring that he hits his quota early.

I don't think duration of visit even factors in, except for some claims that require a minimum time spent (on a consultation or procedure) with the patient before the item becomes billable to MSP.

Exactly.
Again, if he spends 30 minutes on 22 patients, that's an 11 hour day without breaks. However, if he can bang out 22 patients at an average of 10 minutes each (which my old doc does) he's out of there in 4 hours, including a coffee break in the middle.

That's profitable.