Sierrasil

May 14, 2013, 10:22 a.m.

Do you do any other treatments?

no, nothing, but I just have sore knees not your laundry list of ailments :lol:

Do you take this as a daily supplement, or on a as-needed basis like you would with ibuprofen? Once I get in the bike park I know the joints are going to start acting up again, and I'll be reaching for the pills in no time.

What happens when you stop taking them? Do symptoms return right away?

Thanks DaveM aka the NSMB lab rat

Don't know, I've only been taking it for 2 weeks. The way I read it, it's a daily supplement. I'll let you know when I run out and forget to get more. Being that it takes 5-7 days to feel the effects and my knees only hurt after activities, as-needed won't really work.

May 14, 2013, 10:38 a.m.

no, nothing, but I just have sore knees not your laundry list of ailments :lol:

well syncro has been telling you to use knee pads for years. ;)

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

May 14, 2013, 10:43 a.m.

well syncro has been telling you to use knee pads for years. ;)

you seem to have me confused with your sister

May 14, 2013, 10:49 a.m.

you seem to have me confused with your sister

trust me you look nothing like his sister.

you have much bigger boobs.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

May 14, 2013, 11:54 a.m.

I took 1500 mg of glucosimine daily for 3 years for impinged shoulder issues I honestly don't know for sure if it helped but Glucosimine was not expensive there were no real side effects so I kept at it BUT … really not sure

May 14, 2013, 11:55 a.m.

it should be noted that Dave has done nothing but sit in a chair at work and watch the playoffs at home….knee pain will likely return when he returns to outdoor activities. Walking from house to truck doesn't count Dave as an outdoor activity

May 14, 2013, 12:04 p.m.

Subscribing to this thread as I'm another one with gimpy knees and ankles.

Currently don't take anything daily or prior, but if I'm hurting post ride or the next morning I'll take ibuprofen. I do try to minimize the amount I take though as it has a reputation of being hard on your stomach.

May 14, 2013, 12:10 p.m.

I have gout in one of my knees, and I'm an ice hockey goalie, so yeah, borrowed time…..

I started taking fish oil two years ago, along with an Activ-X multi-vitamin before Whistler rides, and it felt great. I used to take Ibuprofen before a ride or a game, which would make me feel sluggish. I wasn't a fan of the pain killers. I started taking the fish/multi combo, and it's amazing how much better my body feels. To this day I can feel if I miss a day or two of the combo. The pain returns.

One thing a lot of us forget though, is that water is the key to health. I find that if I finish a hockey game, and have a beer after, I feel like crap the next day. If I get home and have a big swig of chocolate milk, and a liter and a half of water, that I could play or ride without pain for the next week.

Imho, water instead of booze. That alone should really help most people, since many of us are walking around dehydrated most of the time.

May 14, 2013, 12:11 p.m.

it should be noted that Dave has done nothing but sit in a chair at work and watch the playoffs at home….knee pain will likely return when he returns to outdoor activities. Walking from house to truck doesn't count Dave as an outdoor activity

not true, this past couple of days it's been raining so I half jog to the truck in the morning

May 14, 2013, 3:04 p.m.

i can't get this out of my head
http://teamocil.ytmnd.com/

May 14, 2013, 8:34 p.m.

I took 1500 mg of glucosimine daily for 3 years for impinged shoulder issues I honestly don't know for sure if it helped but Glucosimine was not expensive there were no real side effects so I kept at it BUT … really not sure

My impinged shoulder was caused by muscle imbalance. Did a bunch of exercises to stabilize my shoulder blades and problem went away. I had 2 knee surgeries 10-12 years ago (ACL and MCL separation, removal of bone chips and reconstructed ACL) and still do a lot of leg strengthening/stabilization work (lots of miles on the road bike, plyometric box jumps, squats and lots of stretching ankles, knees and hips) and so far so good - no knee pain/soreness/stiffness at all (I'm 46) - knock on wood.

May 14, 2013, 10:09 p.m.

mine, told me I wouldn't need to see a PT during recovery….while I'm sure that I would still recover not seeing one, I certainly felt it helped.

Surgeons are a funny bunch from what I can tell.

After i had my wrist in a cast for 2 and a half months I asked my doctor if i should go to physio (because i needed him to refer me for WCB) and he said "if you want to"
:lol:

May 15, 2013, 11:32 a.m.

After i had my wrist in a cast for 2 and a half months I asked my doctor if i should go to physio (because i needed him to refer me for WCB) and he said "if you want to"
:lol:

I slipped a disc in my back playing hockey back in December, and the Doc said there was nothing she could do short of painkillers. She did recommend that I find a good physio for a proper recovery though.

It all comes down to greed. My old Doc had a rule that he would only speak about one problem per visit. If you had multiple issues, you had to make numerous appointments which is bullshit. I don't have time to waste sitting 1.5-2 hours in his office waiting to see him. The thing that really got me though, is that knowing I'm a car guy he had the audacity to ask me which car he should order during an appt, the R8 or the Gallardo.

Nice enough guy, and I'm all for doctors in Lambos, but I think he's forgotten about why he became a doc. Or maybe he didn't…

May 15, 2013, 12:10 p.m.

I had a compound fracture of my calcaneus, got to keep my foot after being rebuilt (bonus! 11 screws and a plate later…) and my doc also told me that I didn't need physio.

Surgeons seem to think PT's should be avoided.

It should also be said that after breaking my hand and having it repaired, the surgeon did recommend physio.

May 15, 2013, 12:22 p.m.

It all comes down to greed. My old Doc had a rule that he would only speak about one problem per visit. If you had multiple issues, you had to make numerous appointments which is bullshit. I don't have time to waste sitting 1.5-2 hours in his office waiting to see him. The thing that really got me though, is that knowing I'm a car guy he had the audacity to ask me which car he should order during an appt, the R8 or the Gallardo.

The reason they do that is because part of the MSP billing system formula includes payment per visit. I don't think duration of visit even factors in, except for some claims that require a minimum time spent (on a consultation or procedure) with the patient before the item becomes billable to MSP.