shout-out for MSD and Mammut

Dec. 27, 2016, 3:16 p.m.

so the guys at Mountain Sports Distribution came thru for me on a warranty replacement with my Mammut Barryvox Pulse beacon - arguably the best beacon on the market. long story short even though my beacon was out of warranty, because it had seen so little use (it still looked like it was brand new and the service guy said he thought it was a new unit when he opened the box up) that they would honour it as a warranty item and send me a brand new unit with 5yrs warranty.

that is excellent customer service and the sign of a conmpany that definitely stands behind it's product. a big thumbs up to Eric and the crew at MSD and to Mammut as well for getting this done.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 27, 2016, 4:13 p.m.

I have a tracker beacon. Dunno if it's the best because luckily never had to use it. Hopefully everyone else doesn't have to. Stay safe our there amigos.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Dec. 27, 2016, 5:06 p.m.

so the guys at Mountain Sports Distribution came thru for me on a warranty replacement with my Mammut Barryvox Pulse beacon - arguably the best beacon on the market. long story short even though my beacon was out of warranty, because it had seen so little use (it still looked like it was brand new and the service guy said he thought it was a new unit when he opened the box up) that they would honour it as a warranty item and send me a brand new unit with 5yrs warranty.

that is excellent customer service and the sign of a conmpany that definitely stands behind it's product. a big thumbs up to Eric and the crew at MSD and to Mammut as well for getting this done.

what happened to it? i wear the pulse at work and it would be nice to know what the problem was.

Pastor of Muppets

Dec. 27, 2016, 5:38 p.m.

what happened to it? i wear the pulse at work and it would be nice to know what the problem was.

not sure - it failed a bunch of tests though like the self check, voltage checks and antenna check. i had it stored without any batteries in it and had used it literally a handful of times. it'd spent the past 4yrs sitting on a shelf so my guess is i had a dud from the factory which is why they replaced it. i'm glad that it was a digital model so the self check caught that it wasn't working properly. apparently if a beacon fails it's usually the search function, but in my case it was the send function.

if yours has been working fine i wouldn't worry to much.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 27, 2016, 8:13 p.m.

I have a tracker beacon. .

DTS!
Mine works fine again after scrubbing the white fuzz from an exploded battery off the battery contacts.

I think…….=/

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Dec. 28, 2016, 7 a.m.

on the opposite end of the service spectrum, Ortovox took 7 months to repair my S3+. first they tried to talk me into just buying new one for 100 off. took a bunch of emails and phone calls to get any service. I wouldn't buy their product again

I bought a new tracker and just use the ortovox as a loaner now.

Dec. 28, 2016, 5:08 p.m.

I got the Element cuz it is a stripped down Pulse

Dec. 28, 2016, 7:18 p.m.

Too bad they aren't doing the same for me. :(

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Dec. 28, 2016, 9:28 p.m.

not sure - it failed a bunch of tests though like the self check, voltage checks and antenna check. i had it stored without any batteries in it and had used it literally a handful of times. it'd spent the past 4yrs sitting on a shelf so my guess is i had a dud from the factory which is why they replaced it. i'm glad that it was a digital model so the self check caught that it wasn't working properly. apparently if a beacon fails it's usually the search function, but in my case it was the send function.

if yours has been working fine i wouldn't worry to much.

I worry about the accuracy of my work beacon…im much faster with my old tracker…the one at work seems to take me on a walkabout in practice but my dts leads me right to the target.

Pastor of Muppets

Dec. 28, 2016, 9:34 p.m.

I worry about the accuracy of my work beacon…im much faster with my old tracker…the one at work seems to take me on a walkabout in practice but my dts leads me right to the target.

you should be getting better results with the barryvox. how old is it? has the firmware been updated? depending on the use/abuse it's been thru it may be worth sending it in for service to make sure it's working properly. there may be some online guides for testing as well, but you might need test equipment.

Ellen Langer

Dec. 28, 2016, 9:34 p.m.

I think with digitals people might have a tendency to try and get Ahead of the beacon or SFT??

Maybe you wana ask your on site mountain safety pro ?

I think you will find the pro's favor the pulse and element

Dec. 28, 2016, 9:40 p.m.

when i did my avy course the instructor said that a lot of people that are used to using the older style analog beacons sometimes take some time getting used to the newer digital tech. the digital beacons closely follow the flux lines so that's why you might feel you're following a bit of a curved path. typically they are very accurate though and should be able to pinpoint a buried beacon.

Ellen Langer

Dec. 28, 2016, 9:47 p.m.

I think with digitals people might have a tendency to try and get Ahead of the beacon or SFT??

Maybe you wana ask your on site mountain safety pro ?

I think you will find the pro's favor the pulse and element

might come as a shock to you but ive been at this for over 25 years….i know how these things work. when splinky told his story it raised my suspicions about the unit i use at work. thanks for the tips though.

Pastor of Muppets

Dec. 28, 2016, 9:49 p.m.

when i did my avy course the instructor said that a lot of people that are used to using the older style analog beacons sometimes take some time getting used to the newer digital tech. the digital beacons closely follow the flux lines so that's why you might feel you're following a bit of a curved path. typically they are very accurate though and should be able to pinpoint a buried beacon.

im aware of how to follow flux lines….not aware of being told to turn 90 degrees when i am though and then being told to turn 180

Pastor of Muppets

Dec. 28, 2016, 9:57 p.m.

im aware of how to follow flux lines….not aware of being told to turn 90 degrees when i am though and then being told to turn 180

maybe you're moving too fast for the beacon? like i said tho the barryvox's are pretty damn accurate so it could be a case of the beacon losing its accuracy over time due to abuse. do you know how long it's been used for?

digital beacons can also give goofy readings if they're too close to metal objects or things like phones whether they're sending or receiving.

Ellen Langer