shoulder injuries

Oct. 2, 2008, 9:34 p.m.

anyone had one?
Just had an mri done on my shoulder. found two labral tears. top and bottom back. Needing surgery.
doc says 6 weeks sling, 6 months of serious pt, and a year to fully healed.
Anyone else had this? done anything similar?

Fear me. I have a Cabin in montana.
::Team Pancake Pride::

Oct. 2, 2008, 10:12 p.m.

I dislocated my shoulder in 2003 while snowboarding (or more precisely, while falling). Multiple dislocations ( 8 ) later, I had an MRI and they found (expectedly) a Bankart lesion, and labral tears.

Had arthroscopic surgery to correct - Aug 2007. 6 weeks in sling, 4 months physio. Lost 75[HTML_REMOVED]#37; of range. Had capsular release surgery to correct - Jan 2008. Regained range of motion.

Re-dislocated my shoulder doing core strength stuff at the gym - June 2008. No weights in my hands, I just put my arm back too far and it tore all the repairs out.

Now waiting for 3rd surgery. I will be happy if I ever have confidence in it again.

I hope yours goes better than mine!

the teh

Oct. 2, 2008, 10:24 p.m.

Due to unknown number of dislocations, tears, etc I had an MRI done (horrible experience) and eventually surgery on my right shoulder. Seems that the shoulder was so badly worn and full of arthritis that they patched me up without doing anything and told me to come back when I was either in a ton of pain or over 55 when they would replace the whole thing.

I am 41 and the pain is not too bad. So I wait

Couch

I am a vegetarian not because I love animals but because I HATE plants.

It could be worse…you could be on fire.

Oct. 3, 2008, 8:41 a.m.

mine is directly from a snowboard accident. fell arm out, and tore it backwards. pain for a while went away, then last monday, felt something explode inside my shoulder. that's what set off my current pain, and now road to surgery.
the mri did suck for me too. the cuff you wear made the pain worse, and cut off blood to my hand for 30 min. no fun at all.
im sad to loose my winter, but stoked that i might just get my summer to ride.
the pt end of it sounds like no fun tho.

Oct. 3, 2008, 11:04 a.m.

Oct. 4, 2008, 7:15 p.m.

Shoulders take a very long time to heal … 1.5 to 2 years in my experiance ,I've had encapsulated (frozen) shoulder which took almost 2 years to get back the strength [HTML_REMOVED] most all the range of motion

right now after a paddling injury I got pain which I have never had before in both shoulders probably from the abuse of accululative years of paddling/abuse and old age … I will do the physio and see what happens

Oct. 4, 2008, 8:51 p.m.

I've hurt both shoulder wiping out or trying to dislodge a fir tree. It's pretty painful, that's for sure.

The one I hurt the most I also worked on the most in physio. It's now 95%. The other shoulder I didn't work on much and it's probably 85%.

So my advice to you would be to not skimp out on the physio. Your young, so you can push it, and your body will appreciate it as you get older.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Oct. 4, 2008, 8:58 p.m.

I dislocated my shoulder last year, 5 days and one year ago exactly. sense then its popped out many more times and i believe shoulder surgery is inevitable, but this has helped: http://www.danscomp.com/623017.php?cat=SAFETYGEAR
it keeps your shoulder in socket, and it does help. Maybe this can help some of yall also.

It is the moments in between disaster that we must find joy and meaning to life.

I can mud bog farther, its s chevy

Oct. 4, 2008, 9:35 p.m.

yea.
i'm getting myself as ready as i can for it.
I'll be using a cryo cuff type device post op, everyone i have talked to says it makes a massive difference.
It sucks right now tho, the shoulder never stops hurting, sometimes, way more than other times.
its a funny shoulder, and all my life has been able to pop out of socket whenever i wanted. a string of events lead upto the current situation. i only hope that when they open me up, they just find the two tears.

Oct. 4, 2008, 10:03 p.m.

its a funny shoulder, and all my life has been able to pop out of socket whenever i wanted. a string of events lead upto the current situation. i only hope that when they open me up, they just find the two tears.

sounds like it's an old issue that's finally come to the point where it has to be dealt with. best of luck with your surgery.

Oct. 5, 2008, 12:09 a.m.

i had a few of my ligaments reattached this spring. finaly starting to feel like its solidly mounted in there again.
enjoy the percocets and oxycoton and bring home more then u think u will need. i went through 50 in the first couple days and was still in a lot of pain.
good luck dude.

Oct. 5, 2008, 1:39 a.m.

It sucks right now tho, the shoulder never stops hurting, sometimes, way more than other times.

The pain did suck, but it was only pain. What I found worse was that sleeping was really hard to do, and after a while the lack of sleep buildt up and I turned into a zombie.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Oct. 5, 2008, 12:15 p.m.

yea. i hear that sleeping is the big one.
I'm thinking im going to buy a nice plush recliner to sleep in, otherwise i dont know what i'll do, as im a face down sleeper, never have been able to sleep on my back.

Oct. 5, 2008, 10:02 p.m.

once u mix enough oxy coton and beer u'll pass out after a few days. no biggy. i spent about 6 days up in a row before i reached maximum saturation level though. so make sure you have enough beer on hand.
other then that the only advice i can give u is dont do anything stupid after the surgery. (like getting thrown in a pond while you are still in a sling ect….)

Oct. 8, 2008, 10:58 a.m.

mmmm
met with the surgeon.
apparently, its a SLAP tear, bankart tear, and a bursitis.
mmmmmm narcotics.
he's already got me going for pt, prior to the surgery so that the shoulder can be as strong as it can be, by the time that they get in there to do whatever it is that they will do.