shoulda bought a mac?

Dec. 28, 2011, 1:09 p.m.

It is time to buy a computer at home. have survived without one for a long time, but there are enough "things" that come up that make not having one a pain.

it would mainly be used for
-torrenting
-holding music/movies/pics for the apple TV to stream from

but the odd print job here and there is needed.

now, the cheap part of my thinks a netbook hooked up to a monitor/mouse/keyboard is the way to go. gives the mobility when needed and does everything i NEED it to do

but then i think about what a fan boy I am with my iphone, ipad, apple TV and how maybe i should buy a mac. trouble is there are pains with going mac (IE my 2 TB harddrive doesn't show any files when hooked up to a mac even though it has 1 TB worth of shit on it)

it would also cost twice as much (if I went mac mini) or 4 times as much (if i went macbook air)

fanboys, i know it is hard to explain, but would a non gamer non designer non smart guy like myself enjoy having a mac computer as much as i enjoy have my phone and tablets being mac?

this space is intentionally blank, other than this note about it being blank.

Dec. 28, 2011, 1:12 p.m.

You seem to have listed PROs for netbook, and CONS for mac.

Sounds like your mind is made up.

Since netbooks seem to be going the way of the dodo bird, pick up a sub $1000 laptop.

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

Dec. 28, 2011, 1:47 p.m.

You seem to have listed PROs for netbook, and CONS for mac.

Sounds like your mind is made up.

Since netbooks seem to be going the way of the dodo bird, pick up a sub $1000 laptop.

The death of the netbook in 2012 may have been greatly exaggerated.

Dec. 28, 2011, 3:34 p.m.

Sounds like you would use the new machine for pretty much the same stuff I use my Mac Mini for: torrenting and holding the library of movies, TV Shows and music which is then streamed to Apple TV. The actual Movies etc. are on an NAS in my case but an external hard drive works just as well.

One thing to think about before getting a netbook, is converting video files. My mini does a lot of handbraking of torrents so they will work on Apple TV/iPad etc. The Mini is an older one, 2008 I think, but after putting a bit more RAM in it works fine, a new one would be even quicker. A lower powered netbook would not be ideal for converting video files. I have an Air as well, great laptop, but for torrents and handbrake go with the Mini.

Of course I am a complete fanboy, you could get a more powerful PC that would do as well as the mini for less cash, but you could also get a cheaper phone or tablet that would do instead of your iphone or ipad. It sounds like you are pretty well tied to the apple setup, might as well go the whole hog ;)

By the way, it's strange that you can't see the files on your external harddrive on a Mac. Even if the hard drive is formated for NTFS (Windows file system) the mac should still be able to read, but not write to the drive. Try connecting it to a Mac, opening Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility) and if the hard drive appears then select repair disk under the First Aid tab to check the file system.

Dec. 28, 2011, 6:40 p.m.

future shop mac book pro $999

, however, notice the black guys pants don't leave much to the imajination.

Oct. 21, 2015, 10:10 p.m.

I ended up buying a MacBook Air. Lowest specs you can get and it is rocking faster and better than any PC I've ever used

this space is intentionally blank, other than this note about it being blank.

Oct. 21, 2015, 10:27 p.m.

Really? Just had the HD on my MB Pro die two weeks ago. I believe I picked it up Summer 2012…

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Oct. 21, 2015, 11:50 p.m.

I went to the dark side a few months ago, bought a mid 2014 13" I7 pro. The screen quality, battery life, OS and included software is what I was after, everything just works which is nice for a change.

Oct. 22, 2015, 12:14 p.m.

This has never been discussed on NSMB

I thot my buddy the journalist/writer/publisher type was a mac fan person until she used a bunch of bad words to tell me how she has 20 yrs worth of files tied in with programs that mac chooses to no longer support

Im too old to be a hipster anyhow so this refurbished Lenovo was pretty fucking cheap

Oct. 22, 2015, 3:12 p.m.

Self-confessed Apple fan boy here, but I can't imagine ever buying a PC again.

I have a mid-2009 Macbook Pro that up until recently was used all day every day [HTML_REMOVED] is still going strong. I can't imagine any PC that's 6 years old being anywhere near useable.

We recently bought some new computers at my office. I got a Mac mini for day to day work - emails [HTML_REMOVED] web, Photoshop, Excel, etc. [HTML_REMOVED] we bought a similar spec PC with the only task of entering shipments into the UPS website [HTML_REMOVED] printing out the shipping labels. The Mac mini is great - fast, reliable [HTML_REMOVED] a pleasure to use. The PC on the other hand is a piece of shit. Constantly crashing, slow to boot up, always needs updating [HTML_REMOVED] flashes adverts at you Windows 10 or some anti-virus bullshit all the time.

Sure, Macs are more expensive, but they last a lot longer than a PC [HTML_REMOVED] I find them much more intuitive to use. If you have an iPhone/iPad, etc then the integration is really good. If you already have an Apple TV then you can Airplay straight from your computer to the TV.

In my experience, PCs are disposable. 2 or 3 years max [HTML_REMOVED] they're done.

Oct. 22, 2015, 3:22 p.m.

In my experience, PCs are disposable. 2 or 3 years max [HTML_REMOVED] they're done.

We've only had Macs in this home for the last five years but they've held up exactly the same compared to the PC equivalent.

If you buy the cheapest plastic notebooks from China, you get what you get.

Oct. 22, 2015, 3:43 p.m.

I am using a base Imac I took home from my store, been using it since 2011 and never had an issue.

I have an Imac from 2002 that won't really do internets anymore, but everything else works great, albeit waaaay out dated.

The wife has a Macbook pro that has been in heavy use at work and home since 2010 and never had a hiccup.

Oct. 23, 2015, 5:46 p.m.

We've only had Macs in this home for the last five years but they've held up exactly the same compared to the PC equivalent.

If you buy the cheapest plastic notebooks from China, you get what you get.

Nope. Macs r da best!

Mine is so awesome it won't even boot up today without crashing. So glad I just put a new HD in it last week

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Oct. 23, 2015, 9:56 p.m.

I have:

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012)
2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

I use it for a few work things, and wish I knew photoshop better, and the rest of the time it's basic internet stuff. It's working well.

A couple years ago it got wet from the upstairs people's dishwasher leaking onto it from the ceiling. Apple store wanted me to buy a new computer, said it wasn't really fixable for less than 1500.

I brought it to Simply Computing and they got it working for $70.

I like the product, and I expect that it will last for a few more years. I don't trust their service anymore though. I also had annoying problems when I upgraded to Yosemite, so I'm not hankering for El Capitane.

I use an Android phone so I can't comment on compatibility with other devices.

Oct. 23, 2015, 10:19 p.m.

i have a mac Mini Mini Server edition twin drive i7 quad core with 16gb ram and two 500gb drives , it runs my my 60'inch led tv and is connected to my 4 disk server. Also have two apple tv's.
Low maintenance fast and awesome home media experience. Btw I always buy my stuff online from Apple through the refurbished store , same warranty 30ish % lower price and they have been well tested.