Should Trudeau introduce a Protectionist policy?

March 28, 2020, 3:55 p.m.

Well, should we as a Country put ourselves first and reintroduce a nationwide moratorium on foreign investment in housing?

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

March 28, 2020, 4:52 p.m.

We should have never allowed foreign nationals to use our housing stock as a method to park their money here.

If you want to allow it, charge a 500% year tax on it.

March 28, 2020, 5:57 p.m.

I believe other countries have protectionist policies against forgien RE investment,

ferinstance  you cant own property in Bali unless you hold an indonesian passport,

i think there might be something similar in Auz ?

its also a method of money Laundering

But I think in Vangroovy that ship has sailed  ... thanx to your Christy Clarke government

March 31, 2020, 10:03 a.m.

I am with RM.  I say we allow it, but the policy must ensure we there is no way to use it as a safety deposit box.

April 1, 2020, 11:58 a.m.

I agree with RM and I think that children born in Canada under false pretenses shouldn't be granted a Canadian citizen either.  1/4 of children born in Richmond are China nationals.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/richmond-hospital-leads-the-way-as-birth-tourism-continues-to-rise/

April 1, 2020, 11:59 a.m.

Posted by: LoamtoHome

I agree with RM and I think that children born in Canada under false pretenses shouldn't be granted a Canadian citizen either.  1/4 of children born in Richmond are China nationals.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/richmond-hospital-leads-the-way-as-birth-tourism-continues-to-rise/

Isnt just called dual citizenship? Or Canadian if they're born here?

April 1, 2020, 12:03 p.m.

What I meant by this was if 30% of the US Stock Market can be bought up while on a fire sale, whats in store for the pleebs and their usual investment (housing)?

No ones thinking past the virus panic and the looming global crash or it seems that way at least. We could wake up eventually and literally have owners. Or new ones but worse than the old boss type of thing. But nah, lets just all agree with RM.

April 1, 2020, 7:03 p.m.

Trudeau should introduce a non-Trudeau policy.

April 2, 2020, 11:33 a.m.

Posted by: Stuminator

Trudeau should introduce a non-Trudeau policy.

He couldnt handle how effective that policy would be.

April 8, 2020, 12:15 p.m.

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

Well, should we as a Country put ourselves first and reintroduce a nationwide moratorium on foreign investment in housing?

Don't fool yourself. You already owned by the yanks....

BlackRock is a key focus in my book (along with McKinsey & Company) because both firms have been playing an outsized role in Canada’s politics since the election of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in 2015. Trudeau has created a Canada Infrastructure Bank – widely called the “privatization bank” by us serfs – and has proposed to pour some $120 billion into infrastructure spending in order to attract investment from the international financial sector. As I wrote, by August of 2016 Trudeau was reportedly “courting BlackRock” in the hopes that some of its huge torrent of money would be directed into Canada for infrastructure projects.

Of course, those private investors would want a sizeable return (at least 9%) on their investments, so most of those projects would be either: 1) the outright conversion of a publicly-owned asset into a private one (selling off roads, bridges, ports, airports, water and wastewater systems, etc.), or 2) the building of new infrastructure (like transit) through a public-private partnership (P3) in which the private sector would pocket the tolls and operate risk-free during long-term contracts, or 3) the clever combination of both, by which an existing public asset would become a P3.

In an outrageous display of corporate arrogance, on November 14, 2016 BlackRock hosted a private summit in Toronto for “a select group of major international investors” with trillions of dollars in assets. They were allowed to meet and question PM Trudeau, Finance Minister Bill Morneau, Infrastructure Minister Amarjeet Sohi, and other federal officials, but the press was not allowed to be there to record the “opportunities” that our elected politicians were offering these banksters.

And in the latest move, on March 27 – the same day that the U.S. Congress approved the bailout bill making BlackRock a key financial overseer – Canada’s publicly-owned central bank, the Bank of Canada (BoC), suddenly announced that BlackRock will act as its advisor for a new quantitative-easing (QE) program for corporations – basically a money-spigot for a struggling corporate sector. 

There was no tendering process for this role, and as one financial writer noted, BoC Governor Stephen Poloz appeared to be “opting to put urgency ahead of dithering over potential traps such as conflicts of interest, a rushed tendering process and bad optics.” [5]

But let’s be clear: the central banks on both sides of the Canada-U.S. border have now placed BlackRock in a primary position for effecting monetary and fiscal policy in both countries. That is much more than “bad optics.” That is flagrant corporatism.

There is a terrible irony here, and it’s worth some attention.........

https://www.counterpunch.org/2020/04/08/blackrock-takes-command/

Last edited by: tungsten on April 8, 2020, 12:20 p.m., edited 1 time in total.