Shaw/Motorolla HDPVR DCX3400

March 20, 2011, 2:35 p.m.

Do these ever go on sale? I currently only have the Digital box. Turns out my package has 13 HD channels available but I just need the HD box. $348 At all retailers I could think of.

March 20, 2011, 3:38 p.m.

http://shaw.ca/Television/Equipment/HD-PVR-1TB/

Is it counter productive to ride on my exercise bike with a cocktail in hand?

March 20, 2011, 4:16 p.m.

http://shaw.ca/Television/Equipment/HD-PVR-1TB/

That is the Pace model which I read is shitty quality.

March 20, 2011, 4:26 p.m.

That is the Pace model which I read is shitty quality.

Curious as to how you came to this conclusion?? We've had the Pace model for two years, never had a problem.

March 20, 2011, 4:41 p.m.

Ummmm, I think he said in his post that he read about it……

March 20, 2011, 4:51 p.m.

I have also seen that box at 99% of friends houses and seems to work very well. with 1TB drive thats awesome

Shoots with Nikon D2H
c

March 20, 2011, 7:32 p.m.

Do not buy the Pace box. I had it for a year and had tons of issues with corrupted/missed recordings. Finally one day it just went blank, the tech guy came out and said they service the pace boxes about 10 tines as often as motorolas, for various reasons. I managed to convince them to swap it out for a motorola.

If I could do it again I would rent rather then buy. The tech changes so fast and the box becomes obselete pretty fast.
Posted via Mobile Device

March 20, 2011, 9:13 p.m.

I have the pace and the other 500GB model as well and they seem to be about exactly the same as far a reliability.

March 20, 2011, 9:14 p.m.

Go have a talk with their CS or customer retentions. Many people have reported getting free PVR rentals, just by asking. I've had an account with Shaw for 10 years and they offered me 1-year free rental, which I countered with a request for 2 years free rental (accepted).

I do have my digital phone, cable and Internet with Shaw, which may have been a factor.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

March 20, 2011, 9:17 p.m.

Go have a talk with their CS or customer retentions. Many people have reported getting free PVR rentals, just by asking. I've had an account with Shaw for 10 years and they offered me 1-year free rental, which I countered with a request for 2 years free rental (accepted).

I do have my digital phone, cable and Internet with Shaw, which may have been a factor.

Wow, I called and asked and was told no go. Dang, I need someone to negotiate with them for me. :(

March 20, 2011, 9:25 p.m.

Curious as to how you came to this conclusion?? We've had the Pace model for two years, never had a problem.

I think you may be lucky because most reviews i read were like this

Do not buy the Pace box. I had it for a year and had tons of issues with corrupted/missed recordings. Finally one day it just went blank, the tech guy came out and said they service the pace boxes about 10 tines as often as motorolas, for various reasons. I managed to convince them to swap it out for a motorola.

If I could do it again I would rent rather then buy. The tech changes so fast and the box becomes obselete pretty fast.

March 20, 2011, 9:28 p.m.

^^ I despise how you need to say the secret password or ask real nice and still get turned down what your neighbor was given free.

I just canceled shaw and signed up with telus optic tv. Free pvr. Contract commitment though but the years fly by these days. Cheaper than shaw as well.

March 20, 2011, 9:30 p.m.

I have this Motorolla HDPVR DCX3400 with a 1 Tb hard drive plugged into it.

Hasn't given me problems for 2+ years.
Knocks on wood.

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

March 20, 2011, 9:54 p.m.

whatch your local craigslist. in the electronics section. I see about 1 a week come on for sale from people who are switching from shaw to telus.

March 20, 2011, 10:10 p.m.

Wow, I called and asked and was told no go. Dang, I need someone to negotiate with them for me. :(

Phone again and try with a different CS. I did mention to them that Telus was offering great deals (15/15/15) and was tempted to leave, but I wanted to stay with Shaw if possible. Make sure you are talking the retentions/loyalty department.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk