Seylynn skate

Nov. 27, 2015, 6:39 a.m.

They shoulda fixed the bridges and roads before they started any of this. North Van at the foot of 2nd narrows is an ongoing shit show of epic proportions.

https://www.dnv.org/sites/default/files/edocs/transportation-plan.pdf

Nov. 27, 2015, 6:43 a.m.

http://www.dnv.org/property-and-development/keith-road-bridge

http://www.dnv.org/sites/default/files/edocs/2015-transportation-update.pdf

I imagine JT's spend, spend, spend plans will help make the Hwy1 interchange to mountain hwy a sooner reality.

Nov. 27, 2015, 8:52 a.m.

I apologize for my flare for the melodramatic but I don't know what I am misinformed about. I was only trying to get a conversation started about the development in the area and it looks like it worked. I don't believe I said anything false. I just said there was a potential in all of this for the skate bowl to be lost if people don't make it's importance known to our city councillors. I stand by my opinion in this.

Here is a picture of a proposed foot bridge connecting Seylynn Park to Bridgeman from Denna's (Seylynn Village) website. I can't find verification to this maps accuracy anywhere on DNV's website though. I have been told by my city councillor that it is accurate and that Denna is probably going to be financing the bridge. The map in the document that Heckler posted shows a cycling bridge connecting from Crown but not from Seylynn Park. The maps that are posted in the park don't shown either bridge. So you can see my concern that none of this is really set in stone and public input is important.

Nov. 27, 2015, 9:31 a.m.

If I owned here I'd have sold up and gone by now.

I can't believe the district has adopted the vertical sprawl model for North Van. Welcome to BC, condos, malls and mountains.

Such a shame.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Nov. 27, 2015, 10:40 a.m.

It's crazy to think that 150+ homes in that area are going to disappear. Even if the buyout they get is enough to buy in to the new neighbourhood, how many of those families are going to want to convert from a house to a condo/townhouse? Whatever they get probably isn't going to be enough to buy a house anywhere on the North Shore.

Nov. 27, 2015, 10:52 a.m.

If I owned here I'd have sold up and gone by now.

I can't believe the district has adopted the vertical sprawl model for North Van. Welcome to BC, condos, malls and mountains.

Such a shame.

Options:
1. Vertical sprawl
2. Horizontal sprawl
3. Mandatory sterilization and tear down both bridges to prevent growth.

I prefer #1, and will ride my bike more and more as traffic gets worse.

2:

Nov. 27, 2015, 11:42 a.m.

Oh yes, they are working on the traffic now, but it's been horrible down there since I moved to North Van in the 80's. It was worse when I left and now it's absolutely atrocious. It can take 1.5 hours to get to the top of the cut from Whis. And another 2 hours to get from there to Burnaby.

But the bowl is in a park and it takes quite a bit for developers to break a park.

Was there a skate park at mosquito creek and queens that was actually filled in for liablility reasons and later dug out and re-opened? I have a fuzzy memory of such a thing. I didn't spend much time in the west end of north vancouver as a kid.

We used to play hooky from Lynmour school, get fries from Laurie's take out and hang at selynn bowl.

www.northshorebillet.com

Nov. 27, 2015, 2:14 p.m.

Oh yes, they are working on the traffic now, but it's been horrible down there since I moved to North Van in the 80's. It was worse when I left and now it's absolutely atrocious. It can take 1.5 hours to get to the top of the cut from Whis. And another 2 hours to get from there to Burnaby.

Random traffic post - earlier this year, it took me about 1.3 hours to get from the curve before Cap exit on the #1 east bound to the top of the cut. That was the day I broke my clutch pedal bracket.

Dont care what anyone says, we need 1-2 more crossings or solutions to cross the water. Whether its from Anmore to Deep Cove (never gonna happen) or a 3rd Narrows or even just a second 2nd Narrows or a 2nd Narrows tunnel, something's got to be done.

Just wait for the Patullo and the Massey Tunnel to be gone in the middle of it all. Traffic coronary.

/derail over.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

Nov. 27, 2015, 2:24 p.m.

Options:
1. Vertical sprawl
2. Horizontal sprawl

2:

Just have to say, your image doesnt show the new towers by Coq Centre. Whats worse - 400-1000 people living over an acre or the same amount spread over larger amounts of acreage. Guess it depends if we're looking at the number of cars in regards to traffic or nature preservation or whatever argument we go with.

Consider this - the Canada Line is pretty much at capacity during peak hours already. That doesnt include the redevelopment proposal of Oakridge centre (4-5 new towers IIRC). Driving along North Rd two nights ago, I was blown away by the amount of development signs and even whats been built at Como and North.

IMO - we need a few more innovative solutions other that LRT and removing and tolling existing bridges.

Nov. 27, 2015, 2:29 p.m.

Dont care what anyone says, we need 1-2 more crossings or solutions to cross the water.

Or less people driving across the bridges solo. Take transit or ride a bike.

More bridges and more roads is not the answer. Just like in Field of Dreams, if you build it they will come.

Nov. 27, 2015, 2:40 p.m.

Or less people driving across the bridges solo. Take transit or ride a bike.

More bridges and more roads is not the answer. Just like in Field of Dreams, if you build it they will come.

edit: didnt see the solo driving part. I'm guilty of that all the time. But no one likes me so I cant help people ;)

If we havent noticed, not only are they already here, they're not stopping.

I remember probably circa 2000 an article in the province said 3 new cars were added to the roads every hour. If you have a 40km one way commute to work, are you going to ride the bike? What if Transit isnt a viable option?

ie: lets say I live in Surrey and work on Granville/Broadway. I could either drive 35km one way which would take 40 mins because Im going against traffic or, I could probably take a 30 min bus ride to the sky train at King George then a 40 min train ride to Main Street and then either cab it, jog or bus to there. I'm not wasting 4 a day hours commuting.

What are the majority of people going to do? Time is money correct? More bridges and more roads ARE part of the solution, not the only solution but we're behind already. I mean the 91 is a so called highway but its TWO FREAKING LANES and can back up into Alderbridge if there is one issue (stall or heaven forbid medical emerg).

People are not going to stop buying cars. Plain and simple. So we need to accept that.

Nov. 27, 2015, 4:59 p.m.

edit: didnt see the solo driving part. I'm guilty of that all the time. But no one likes me so I cant help people ;)

If we havent noticed, not only are they already here, they're not stopping.

I remember probably circa 2000 an article in the province said 3 new cars were added to the roads every hour. If you have a 40km one way commute to work, are you going to ride the bike? What if Transit isnt a viable option?

ie: lets say I live in Surrey and work on Granville/Broadway. I could either drive 35km one way which would take 40 mins because Im going against traffic or, I could probably take a 30 min bus ride to the sky train at King George then a 40 min train ride to Main Street and then either cab it, jog or bus to there. I'm not wasting 4 a day hours commuting.

What are the majority of people going to do? Time is money correct? More bridges and more roads ARE part of the solution, not the only solution but we're behind already. I mean the 91 is a so called highway but its TWO FREAKING LANES and can back up into Alderbridge if there is one issue (stall or heaven forbid medical emerg).

People are not going to stop buying cars. Plain and simple. So we need to accept that.

So cityfolk…..lol 2 freaking lanes.

Pastor of Muppets

Nov. 27, 2015, 6:09 p.m.

Probably should build more electric train in the sky

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Nov. 27, 2015, 7:39 p.m.

Options:
1. Vertical sprawl
2. Horizontal sprawl

2:

I prefer option 4 where there is already enough development and that's it. Live here if you can afford it and don't if you can't. The plan to put cookie cutter monster condos with shitty retail at ground level everywhere is insane. Everywhere gets uglier by the year, the roads get busier, and everyone's quality of life goes down the shitter with it.

It's almost like the developers run the show…

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Nov. 27, 2015, 8:04 p.m.

It's almost like the developers run the show…

When's the last time any of us attended a city council meeting, or even emailed council?