Seylynn skate

Nov. 25, 2015, 8:22 p.m.

A big part of North Van history. It would be a shame if they put a condo tower on it…

https://vimeo.com/32184916

Nov. 26, 2015, 8:11 a.m.

https://vimeo.com/32184916

Nov. 26, 2015, 9:38 a.m.

I persuaded my kid to roll the steepest part of the drop-in to the main bowl at Seylynn for the first time on a Kona Shred when he was knee-high to a 29er wheel. I think it changed his life.

Nov. 26, 2015, 9:41 a.m.

Was down there last month on the bikes with the kid. Was a ton of fun.

Nov. 26, 2015, 9:45 a.m.

Very cool. I didn't realize that park had such a prolific history.

There's nothing in the plan for that area to suggest that Seylynn park is going to be turned into condos.

http://www.dnv.org/property-and-development/lynn-creek-town-centre

Nov. 26, 2015, 10:32 a.m.

We made trips over from the Island back in the 80's when we heard about it. Legendary spot.

viperfunk.com

Nov. 26, 2015, 11:21 a.m.

Watching Ron Mercer ripping his Redline BMX through there was something I'll never forget.

Your 0.02 opinion is worthless. Since Feb 2013, pennies have to be rounded down. Sorry.

Nov. 26, 2015, 11:52 a.m.

Very cool. I didn't realize that park had such a prolific history.

There's nothing in the plan for that area to suggest that Seylynn park is going to be turned into condos.

http://www.dnv.org/property-and-development/lynn-creek-town-centre

The really sad part of this plan is the proposal to re-zone from light industrial to residential. Lots of great businesses down there right now, Suspension Werx, Endless Biking, Marx Conditioning, etc. Not many affordable spots left on the north shore to operate a business.

Nov. 26, 2015, 12:32 p.m.

The word on the street is that the developers have been told that the Skate park is a heritage site and is not up for discussion. The drawing I saw takes out everything immediately North of there. I'm guessing that a lot of those businesses will have a hard time finding affordable rent else where. I'm excited to see them revitalize the park though. It would be awesome to see the kind of crowds around the park like there was in the 1980s. Now I walk by dogs by there almost every day and don't see much more than a couple of hobos trying to ride the bowl in a shopping cart (true story).

If you have any input into the development of the area now would be a good time to email your councillors.

https://www.dnv.org/our-government/mayor-and-council

Nov. 26, 2015, 1:10 p.m.

The really sad part of this plan is the proposal to re-zone from light industrial to residential. Lots of great businesses down there right now, Suspension Werx, Endless Biking, Marx Conditioning, etc. Not many affordable spots left on the north shore to operate a business.

Totally agree w you, but where do you see this rezoning?

From the DNV link:

"Economic vitality
Encourage economic development through the protection and intensification of light industrial uses, and modest expansion of local-serving commercial uses."

Nov. 26, 2015, 1:21 p.m.

I've attended all the public meeting about the development of this area, including all the meeting regarding the OCP for revitalizing this area. Never has there been any mention of putting a tower on the skate bowl.

Please avoid spreading misinformation.

Thank you!

"only the good riders wipe out on the easy stuff" - Heathen

Nov. 26, 2015, 1:26 p.m.

Terrible spot for a Condo, in the early 80's that skate park was almost destroyed by the river, high water had undermined about 1/3 of of the earth on and under the west side of the skate park.
Are they taking out the park and community center on that site as well.

Nov. 26, 2015, 3:18 p.m.

[QUOTE=heckler's better 1/2;2897701]I've attended all the public meeting about the development of this area, including all the meeting regarding the OCP for revitalizing this area. Never has there been any mention of putting a tower on the skate bowl.

Thank you!

I don't think it's misinformation. It's a slippery slope. There isn't any proposal yet but I'm sure at some point someone will say wouldn't it be great to replace the rec centre and skatebowl with a nice modern rec building and put in an astroturf soccer field or a dog park or etc. etc. and next thing you know the skate bowl is gone. If no one voice's an opinion up front then it could very well happen. The North Shore Youth Soccer is a stronger lobbying group than Skateboarders so who do you think would win between an astroturf field outside the new condo's and the skatebowl? If people wait until a proposal is public than it's to late. Voice's need to be heard so it's never even a discussion.

Nov. 26, 2015, 4:04 p.m.

[QUOTE=heckler's better 1/2;2897701]I've attended all the public meeting about the development of this area, including all the meeting regarding the OCP for revitalizing this area. Never has there been any mention of putting a tower on the skate bowl.

Thank you!

Correct. Sharon/I haven't attended all the OCP meetings but have read and kept informed about OCP discussions. There's no mention of changes to the skate bowl or the park other than the changes necessitated by the new bridge over Lynn Creek. The OP Is minsinformed

Nov. 27, 2015, 1:41 a.m.

They shoulda fixed the bridges and roads before they started any of this. North Van at the foot of 2nd narrows is an ongoing shit show of epic proportions.

www.northshorebillet.com