Sea to sky gondy

Sept. 14, 2020, 9:02 a.m.

Cable cut ... again!  Only back in operation a few months.  WTAF goes through a person's mind when they pull this shit?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/sea-to-sky-gondola-vandalism-2020-1.5723042

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Sept. 14, 2020, 10:23 a.m.

Anyone have any inside info as to what they think the story is (i.e. who cut it the first time)? Is it connected to a group of people who don't agree with the gondola's existence or is it thought to be just one random wacko?

Sept. 14, 2020, 10:46 a.m.

Either this guy is really good or the RCMP are inept.

Sept. 14, 2020, 11:05 a.m.

From a statement when they started up again: "...the security measures installed since the incident will ensure the gondola is secure and protected from any other criminal activity,"

Whoever did it knows how to avoid whatever was installed. If it's the same person, super ballsy to tempt fate twice by cutting a fully loaded cable.

Edit: Just read the CBC story, sounds like they have footage of some sort, in which case the guy just doesn't give any Fs.

Last edited by: PaulB on Sept. 14, 2020, 11:12 a.m., edited 3 times in total.
Sept. 14, 2020, 11:26 a.m.

Yah, I have to think that they installed some sort of perimeter alarming, and hid some game cameras along the cableway.  Probably won't hear much from the news outlets until (unless) someone is found and charges laid.

Takes a seriously sick mind to risk people's lives doing this shit.

Sept. 14, 2020, 12:08 p.m.

I think he'd get about halfway thru the cable before it started splintering & flying apart. It would prolly snap just after that. Dude must have no regard for serious personal injury. I have seen what wire rope can do when it breaks. It can get pretty ugly.

Sept. 14, 2020, 12:30 p.m.

Crazy to think this happens twice. 

Some serious vendetta to hit this a 2nd time.

Sept. 14, 2020, 12:32 p.m.

Did the sea to sky gondy close any rock climbing areas to the climbing community?

Sept. 14, 2020, 12:39 p.m.

I don't think so. If anything, it opened up access to at least one crag that otherwise wasn't worth the hike to get to. It definitely makes access to climbing Skypilot and Habrich much easier, even if hiking/biking up the service road instead of taking the gondola. Very popular with trail runners too, and locals with season passes have been loving it in the winter for opening up ski touring terrain that is otherwise a huge effort to reach.

There was a lot of skepticism in the outdoor community when the gondola was first proposed, but, in general, I think it has been accepted as a positive thing.

Last edited by: PaulB on Sept. 14, 2020, 12:43 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Sept. 14, 2020, 1:34 p.m.

Posted by: Stuminator

I think he'd get about halfway thru the cable before it started splintering & flying apart. It would prolly snap just after that. Dude must have no regard for serious personal injury. I have seen what wire rope can do when it breaks. It can get pretty ugly.

If they cut the cable where they go over a set of sheaves it would probably protect them from the cable when it snapped.  I bet they had some kind of extension on the grinder though.  Apparently they were really fast, but I am not sure how they would know that.

Sept. 14, 2020, 3:25 p.m.

A lot of people were opposed to that thing being built. Id say a long time resident and/or rock climber who hates all the tourists and traffic in the sea to sky now.  It wouldnt take very long to do and there are so many access points.  Always campers in the area so that wouldnt raise any eyebrows. How would they ever get caught?  My other thought is a seasonal resident. Already on  their way back to wherever.

Sept. 14, 2020, 3:29 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

Apparently they were really fast, but I am not sure how they would know that.

I think it was all caught on camera this time.

Last edited by: Mike.T on Sept. 14, 2020, 3:30 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 14, 2020, 4:26 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

If they cut the cable where they go over a set of sheaves it would probably protect them from the cable when it snapped.  I bet they had some kind of extension on the grinder though.  Apparently they were really fast, but I am not sure how they would know that.

4" battery powered angle grinder on a pole, you could be still on the ladder while making the cut

Sept. 14, 2020, 7:15 p.m.

Having used grinders a lot and one of those chainsaws on a pole I don’t see how a grinder on a pole would be nearly efficient enough to do this quickly. You need counter leverage to make it happen with a clean cut quickly. 

I think the material destructive test from the last one was released and i seem to recall it was a clean cut.  I think it was over on TGR. 

Messed up for this to happen once. Let alone twice.

Sept. 14, 2020, 8:19 p.m.

A zip disc on a cordless grinder would make quick work of that cable. You 6" cordless grinders that are as powerful or more so than their corded counterparts and with a 6" cut off disc it would take under a minute to cut through that cable. Same deal as bikes thieves using them to cut u-locks.