SDHC cards

March 15, 2010, 5:56 p.m.

Is there really a difference in SDHC cards?? Why such a huge price difference between them? I'm asking because I just ordered a gopro hero HD cam and need to buy a memory card. So I'm wondering if a $100 card will do the same as a $250 card? Anyone have some experience with this?

March 15, 2010, 6:16 p.m.

Yes. You pay for speed. What are you using it for?

Posted via Mobile Device

March 15, 2010, 6:37 p.m.

Yes. You pay for speed. What are you using it for?

Posted via Mobile Device

I'm asking because I just ordered a gopro hero HD cam and need to buy a memory card.

nobody is this dumb.

March 15, 2010, 6:47 p.m.

Chances are that speed wont make a lick of difference in your camera… so buy a cheaper one.

Also, where are you finding $250 cards? To the best of my knowledge, SDHC cards max out at 32 gb…

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?minorcatid=1310[HTML_REMOVED]subminorcatid=511

My photos | Green Avocado

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.

Guns kill people just like pens cause spelling mistakes, cars create drunk drivers and spoons create fat people.

PM me to learn how to use credit card bonuses to fly for free.

March 15, 2010, 6:53 p.m.

Also, where are you finding $250 cards? To the best of my knowledge, SDHC cards max out at 32 gb…

It's probably a Monster X9000 SDHC with platinum contacts in a carbon-fiber casing. Make sure those 0's and 1's are aerodynamic!

March 15, 2010, 6:58 p.m.

It's probably a Monster X9000 SDHC with platinum contacts in a carbon-fiber casing. Make sure those 0's and 1's are aerodynamic!

Ah my bad. I forgot that monster products ruled.

Carry on.

My photos | Green Avocado

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.

Guns kill people just like pens cause spelling mistakes, cars create drunk drivers and spoons create fat people.

PM me to learn how to use credit card bonuses to fly for free.

March 15, 2010, 7 p.m.

I have a cheap 16GB class 6 in my panasonic digi cam that does HD, it works just fine.

March 15, 2010, 7:19 p.m.

Is there really a difference in SDHC cards?? Why such a huge price difference between them? I'm asking because I just ordered a gopro hero HD cam and need to buy a memory card. So I'm wondering if a $100 card will do the same as a $250 card? Anyone have some experience with this?

Christ, did you edit your reply or was I on crack when I replied? Wait, don't answer that…

Whatever the case, I have the ContourHD 1080P and am using class 4 cards. Seeing that you can get the class 4 8GB MicroSDHC cards at NCIX for $18.00 I didn't bother testing out if class 2's worked as well.

FWIW, I shoot in 720p @ 60 FPS all the time and rarely have to change out my 16GB card. Have a few 8's as backup just in case.

March 15, 2010, 10:09 p.m.

ya I'm pretty sure the sdhc cards do max out at 32G Norman. Thanks for the link!

March 15, 2010, 10:23 p.m.

Christ, did you edit your reply or was I on crack when I replied? Wait, don't answer that…

Whatever the case, I have the ContourHD 1080P and am using class 4 cards. Seeing that you can get the class 4 8GB MicroSDHC cards at NCIX for $18.00 I didn't bother testing out if class 2's worked as well.

FWIW, I shoot in 720p @ 60 FPS all the time and rarely have to change out my 16GB card. Have a few 8's as backup just in case.

Thanks ReductiMat. What editing software do you use?

March 15, 2010, 10:27 p.m.

Whatever the case, I have the ContourHD 1080P

Hey, how's that working out for you? I got one just before xmas and it's giving me issues when I try for skiing footage. It's supposed to work down to -15 C, but I'm finding it's doing stupid things like not actually turning on at -5 C. Sent an email to their tech support just today.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

March 15, 2010, 10:39 p.m.

Thanks ReductiMat. What editing software do you use?

No worries man.. Premiere Pro is my tool of choice. If you use it and shoot in 59.96 FPS, make sure to turn frame blending off! Took me a week to figure out why the hell my vids sucked balls after editing.

March 15, 2010, 10:59 p.m.

Hey, how's that working out for you? I got one just before xmas and it's giving me issues when I try for skiing footage. It's supposed to work down to -15 C, but I'm finding it's doing stupid things like not actually turning on at -5 C. Sent an email to their tech support just today.

Kn.

I'm on unit #3. First one hung while hitting the 4GB file system barrier… they said it should be cutting off at 1GB then starting a new file. Replacement unit suffered the out-of-focus centre… they couriered a new one with return UPS label for the third (great customer service). Third one is all good.

I've held back on writing anything up on it because I don't think I've found the right setup for winter sports yet and I've only had two rides with it thus far.

The biggest issue I'm having is in variable weather days where it goes from foggy to cloudy to sunny. Either I'm highly underexposed for a lot of it or the complete opposite. Haven't found a happy medium. Wish there was a way for me to change exposure settings on the camera itself.

Do you leave your unit recording for long length's of time? Ever since my situation on the first one, I simply take breathers on it every now and then (20/30 minutes at the most). Simply stop, then record again.

I guess I'm trying my best to manage my expectations.. nothing that small will produce the same video a 5DMKII does. I just need to find out where that line is and then I'll go from there.

All that said, wouldn't trade it in for the world. It is a blast reliving your (mis)adventures for a given day. Can't wait to test this puppy out in May at the bike park!

March 16, 2010, 11:21 a.m.

I'm on unit #3.

Just got an email from their cust support, looks like they'll be replacing mine. I'd guess that they've got some QA/QC issues, but support/replacement program is looking good so far.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.