Scotch

Dec. 30, 2015, 12:53 p.m.

Sooo you guys got anything new or worth chatting about?

This year I got

Ardbeg Ten year old

Glenmorangie La Santa

And bought today a bottle of Bruichladdich Islay Barley Rockside Farm 2007.

All are great, depending on the mood. The Ardbeg is more of a heavy weather type of Malt, whereas the Glenmorangie La Santa is just smooth, mellow and simply great tasting.

The Bruichladdich will be opened right now. But maybe I have to stock up on a few bottles before these are sold out. I have the feeling that it could be a killer.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Dec. 30, 2015, 2:36 p.m.

Got the lagavulin distillers edition.

Jury's out for me on that one right now…

Like the bowmore 18 i just picked up.

Dec. 30, 2015, 4:12 p.m.

I bought this a year or two ago and cracked it open the other night. First impressions are good.

I think I'm at 36 bottles not including the miniature collection. I need to drink more.

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

Dec. 30, 2015, 4:23 p.m.

I bought this a year or two ago and cracked it open the other night. First impressions are good.

I think I'm at 36 bottles not including the miniature collection. I need to drink more.

I volunteer my services to help you drink some of this scotch.

Dec. 30, 2015, 4:35 p.m.

I volunteer my services to help you drink some of this scotch.

Only if you help me organize the beer fridge first.

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

Dec. 30, 2015, 7:26 p.m.

Got the lagavulin distillers edition.

Jury's out for me on that one right now…

I've been a bit disappointed in all of the "Distillers Editions" I have tried. I guess I'm not a big fan of whiskies with a sherry cask finish. Hard to top a straight up Lagavulin 16.

I did pick up a bottle of the Bunnahabhain Ceòbanach at the BCLC premium spirit release. Quite like it. Somewhat similar to a Laphroaig QC but a bit more of a black liquorice taste on the finish.

Dec. 30, 2015, 7:31 p.m.

Hard to top a straight up Lagavulin 16.

This a million times over.

Dec. 30, 2015, 7:38 p.m.

Only if you help me organize the beer fridge first.

That happens to be my specialty. :beer:

Dec. 31, 2015, 1:09 a.m.

BenRiach 10 Curiositas- different peat profile than an Islay malt. After a few days of the bottle airing out the flavor profile has really opened up. Great price too.

Glendronach 18 Allardice - An amazing sherried malt. I haven't tried the 12 yr but it is half the price, and if it is anything like the 18 would be great value.

www.FVMBA.com

Jan. 5, 2016, 8:40 a.m.

BenRiach 10 Curiositas- different peat profile than an Islay malt. After a few days of the bottle airing out the flavor profile has really opened up. Great price too.

Glendronach 18 Allardice - An amazing sherried malt. I haven't tried the 12 yr but it is half the price, and if it is anything like the 18 would be great value.

I bought the Glendronach 12 year-old when my son was born to celebrate….empty in no time, and I liked it.

Have to buy one of those and give it to him the day he turns 18 which is the kegal drinking age of spirits over here. I think this is going to be priceless.

Checked out the one you mentioned, bug I have a hard time spending that much money on a 0.7 bottle.

Redbreast 12 is another one that I liked but never got a second bottle of.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Jan. 5, 2016, 9:21 a.m.

I bought the Glendronach 12 year-old when my son was born to celebrate….empty in no time, and I liked it.

Have to buy one of those and give it to him the day he turns 18 which is the kegal drinking age of spirits over here. I think this is going to be priceless.

Checked out the one you mentioned, bug I have a hard time spending that much money on a 0.7 bottle.

Redbreast 12 is another one that I liked but never got a second bottle of.

I have a bottle of Redbreast in my desk at work. It's nice after a hard day's "engineering"…

I also have a bottle of that fancy Rye from Crown (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-drink/news/scots-left-reeling-as-canadian-whisky-named-worlds-best/). I had two, but drank the first over X-mas. I'm saving the second…

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

Jan. 6, 2016, 3:02 p.m.

how did the northern harvest turn out? stuff is back in stores again; guess for $32 can't go too wrong.

Jan. 6, 2016, 4:07 p.m.

how did the northern harvest turn out? stuff is back in stores again; guess for $32 can't go too wrong.

yes, do chime in, would love to know. the guru at the LSS (local scotch store?) said it was way overhyped and thought Jim Murray was off his tree. paid off by Diageo (parent company that owns oh, everything)

i just finished the Lag 16 over xmas. sad day as it was mind blowing and i can't afford it at present. every sip got better through the whole bottle.

i'm currently sipping through a cheap bottle of Black Grouse. i kinda like it for a poor mans scotch. also drinking Buffalo Trace bourbon based on a referral. it's pretty good too.

Jan. 7, 2016, 9:31 a.m.

Apples and oranges trying to compare single malt scotch to rye. Might as well compare it to high end vodka or high end gin. They are different drinks entirely, IMO.

Northern Harvest was certainly as a good a rye as I've ever tried, but it lacked any of the interesting characteristics that are the reason I like a good Ardbeg or Laphroig. It's nice, smooth, enjoyable to sip, but basically kind of boring. I'd keep a bottle around so I don't waste the expensive stuff on friends that can't tell the difference.

Dec. 23, 2019, 2:31 p.m.

Resurrection from the depths of the old forum...

Curious as I am when it comes to whisky and beer, I got myself a bottle of standard-fare Makerˋs Mark today. Quite nice, at times I like a Bourbon. So far my favorite has been Woodford Reserve. Bulleit was too much, as was Knob Creek. When it comes to Bourbon I like it a bit mellow and sweet.

By the way, a few years ago I was at a local distillery (Habbel it is called, they have a single malt of their own, Hillock and it is quite....interesting) and in the shop the assistant asked me what kind of a mood my life was into at that time. I said that it was rather rough and stormy, and he recommended a whisky a bit more peaty and difficult, kind of like life at that time. Good advice back then and now. I bought a Talisker 10 and reall enjoyed the sea, the salt and the peat.

Last edited by: Mic on Dec. 23, 2019, 2:31 p.m., edited 1 time in total.