Scotch

Nov. 29, 2013, 11:39 a.m.

All you whisky lovers and those appreciating a nice story with some great photos by Dan Barham - get the new Bike mag issue with Seb Kemp rocking the pen and Dan rocking the camera - A whisky tour through Scotland.

story and video also online:
http://www.bikemag.com/blog/exclusive-flavor-of-a-nation/

:canada: :czech:

Nov. 29, 2013, 11:57 a.m.

Speaking of touring around. South Africans have absolutely no appreciation of good Scotch. Wine, yes, but Scotch, nada. Decent bottles of proper single malt Scotch are hard to find, and most locals think you're crazy to spend that much on a bottle, when you can just pick up some shitty Bell's blend for 1/4 the price. Or Klipdrift for even less.

Yeah, that's right. Locals I stayed with were comparing Klipdrift with fine single malt. Klipdrift is cheap-ass brandy, most popular drink seems to be Klip and Coke. Oh the humanity.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Nov. 29, 2013, 12:01 p.m.

Yeah, that's right. Locals I stayed with were comparing Klipdrift with fine single malt. Klipdrift is cheap-ass brandy, most popular drink seems to be Klip and Coke. Oh the humanity.

Kn.

So kinda like Julian.

I need to pick up another bottle of Forty Creek.

Nov. 29, 2013, 1 p.m.

Speaking of touring around. South Africans have absolutely no appreciation of good Scotch. Wine, yes, but Scotch, nada. Decent bottles of proper single malt Scotch are hard to find, and most locals think you're crazy to spend that much on a bottle, when you can just pick up some shitty Bell's blend for 1/4 the price. Or Klipdrift for even less.

Kn.

I just threw up a bit in my mouth. Ugh! Uncouth heathens.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Dec. 11, 2013, 9:17 p.m.

Just a PSA for free Glencairn glasses!

At the Kelowna BC liquor store they were taste testing Dewars Highland Honey and Dewars 12. Buy a bottle of the Hihglands honey at $22 and get two Glencairn glasses. It's worth it just for the glasses alone. They have the Dewars name etched on it but are legitimate Glencairn glasses.

Neither bottle I enjoyed much but the wife liked the honey and it will be good for guests that aren't deserving of my premium bottles (those ones that ask for a mixer when I offer a scotch). The glass certainly changes the aroma and experience of my other scotches.

Dec. 11, 2013, 9:39 p.m.

(those ones that ask for a mixer when I offer a scotch)

Do they still insist on said mixer after you smack them upside the head?

• Those Glencairn glasses are great. I got them from here and they're about $10 each, so that's a pretty insane deal
Dec. 11, 2013, 10:30 p.m.

Do they still insist on said mixer after you smack them upside the head?

• Those Glencairn glasses are great. I got them from here and they're about $10 each, so that's a pretty insane deal

I prefer to give the silent treatment. I shake my head, give a low sigh, and then pour them something cheap. When I used to bartend those people got a bar mat shot- a shot poured from all the over pours in the mat. Still charged them premium though.

Ya when the lady said two and my wife subsequently said she enjoyed it I didn't hesitate. Certainly a nice way to enjoy a dram over the standard crystal glass.

Dec. 12, 2013, 12:46 p.m.

Yeah, I've made it my own tradition to buy two glencairn glasses from each distillery that I visit, complete with the distillery's logo etched into the glass. Great keepsake, and very usable.

So I'm all the way up to four glasses now!

Very exciting.

Kn.

Dec. 27, 2013, 11:29 a.m.

Want to pick up a bottle of Oban for a scotch tasting early Jan but can't justify the $125. Thoughts on comparable/similar quality for less than $100?

Still looking for a Scotch reco similar to Oban. Anyone?

Originally Posted by sAFETY
As a vegitarian, I don't eat bacon, as a human being I crave and miss it.

Dec. 27, 2013, 12:18 p.m.

reuben (sp?)

was all the rage this year

Dec. 27, 2013, 2:27 p.m.

Still looking for a Scotch reco similar to Oban. Anyone?

Talisker is similar to OBAN on taste. very smooth.

BCLB says its only $86.99..

My current fav is Springbank 10 - only about 80 or so $$ as well. This is not like OBAN though.

:canada:

Jan. 5, 2014, 10:02 p.m.

reuben (sp?)

was all the rage this year

Are you thinking of the Glenmorangie-12 Quinta Ruban?

Originally Posted by sAFETY
As a vegitarian, I don't eat bacon, as a human being I crave and miss it.

Jan. 14, 2014, 8:53 a.m.

Found this video today. The bourbon casked 16 is one of my personal favourites. And if the video doesn't sell you on it, you're dead to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovOFa-5S3q8

Also, "Rob, you're a shambles now …" :lol::lol::lol:

Jan. 14, 2014, 9:52 a.m.

^sold on aromatics perhaps, but he doesn't even take a sip. he just walks off to toss it down the sink.

Jan. 14, 2014, 10:24 a.m.

headed to rogers pass via banff for the medical conference which means … time to stock up on good scotch