Scotch

Sept. 17, 2012, 6:17 p.m.

I've seen those glasses at a kitschy shop in Vernon. I can't remember the name but next time I'm visiting the inlaws I'll probably pick one or two up.

Sept. 18, 2012, 4:08 p.m.

can anyone with some experience with either the Auchentoshan 12year or the classic let me know what they're like? I'm thinking of buying a bottle, but I'm not sure which to go with.

Sept. 28, 2012, 4:50 p.m.

Bought a few tickets to the the great whisky smoke event for Hopscotch. Anyone else joining in any of the festivites this year?

Dec. 8, 2012, 8:07 p.m.

I'm in Kauai ATM and made a trip to the local Costco.

I picked up these two gems for less than half the BC liquor price.

Lagavulin 16 year and Macallan 12.

[ATTACH]8822[/ATTACH]

Dec. 8, 2012, 11:02 p.m.

I was simultaneously astounded/ecstatic when I found out you can get Scotch and other hard liquor at some Costcos in the US. Unfortunately, not in Washington State, you gotta go to Oregon.

Dec. 8, 2012, 11:27 p.m.

I was simultaneously astounded/ecstatic when I found out you can get Scotch and other hard liquor at some Costcos in the US. Unfortunately, not in Washington State, you gotta go to Oregon.

yeah, that changed June 1, in Washington…

tax is a bitch though.

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2018331473_liquor02.html

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Dec. 9, 2012, 10:24 a.m.

can anyone with some experience with either the Auchentoshan 12year or the classic let me know what they're like? I'm thinking of buying a bottle, but I'm not sure which to go with.

Good, middle of the road. Seemed uneventful in a smooth kind of way. Nice one to try before you dig into something more peaty, IMO.

I tried Stronachie last night. Very nice. A brand reborn. A good price point, and very drinkable.

http://whiskyforeveryone.blogspot.ca/2009/01/have-just-tried-stronachie-12-years-old.html

Dec. 9, 2012, 11:57 a.m.

Good, middle of the road. Seemed uneventful in a smooth kind of way. Nice one to try before you dig into something more peaty, IMO.

I tried Stronachie last night. Very nice. A brand reborn. A good price point, and very drinkable.

I've an Auchentoshan 21, and I'd agree. Smooth … super smooth, but not a lot of personality jumping out either on the nose or on the tasting.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Dec. 20, 2012, 4:55 p.m.

I don't spend enough time in NBR to realize this thread existed.

Couple years ago I went from liking the odd glass of scotch to actually being actively interested in single malt. I have a modest collection, with aspirations of significant growth.

I like to have a couple peaty options and a couple lighter, more fruity options on hand. Maybe a couple in the middle, too. Of the young peat-monsters, I've tried Laphroaig 10yr, Laphroaig Quarter Cask, Talisker 10, and Ardbeg 10. I have to say the Laphoroaig 10 is my favourite of the bunch. I have all but the Talisker still in the collection (it's been flagged for restock).

My favourite so far is Lagavulin 16, though Ardbeg Uigaedail is next up on my want list so I'm looking forward to seeing how that compares.

For less peaty options I have Cragganmore 12 and Jura Superstition on hand, both of which I enjoy, but a more robust and complex option would be nice to have on hand for special occasions.

My most recent acquisition is a bottle of Balvenie 14yr Golden Cask, which has been finished in Caribbean rum casks. Stoked on this stuff. Smooth and the rum sweetness delivers on the finish. It's received less than stellar reviews from what I've seen, but it's quite enjoyable albeit not as powerful as many in its price range.

That's my story! Comment or suggest as you like, though mostly I just wanted to share.

The current collection (will be growing over the holidays):

Dec. 20, 2012, 6:34 p.m.

I've got a few new additions. :)

My first Port Ellen.

A 30yo Clynelish.

And this Glenfarclas.

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

Dec. 20, 2012, 6:53 p.m.

Those are some baller additions. I would love to add some older scotches to my cabinet (like this) but right now, I have a hard time justifying more than about $150 for a bottle. I have noticed though that the 'price ceiling' of what one's willing to spend on single malt continues to rise as each new bottle is purchased.

Dec. 20, 2012, 7:14 p.m.

I have noticed though that the 'price ceiling' of what one's willing to spend on single malt continues to rise as each new bottle is purchased.

This is very true. :D

Sometimes you do find good deals hidden away in small shops. I've picked up a few things (like this Brora 30) for a really good price.

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

Dec. 20, 2012, 9:41 p.m.

Christmas is coming. One of the presents under the tree looks a lot like a bottle and it has my name on it. Bit of a crap shoot, but I'm optimistic.

Last year my son bought me this:

Dec. 25, 2012, 8:16 a.m.

Where do these fall on the scale?

I got these for Xmas.:scotland:

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.

Dec. 25, 2012, 10:23 a.m.

My sister got me a bottle of Glenlivet 12. Which is funny because my entire love of scotch is built on Jack Donaghy and pretending I'm sophisticated. I don't even drink, anything, ever.

A friend and I are thinking we'll get some cigars and get traditional.

www.vitalmtb.com