School the aussie on US/Canadian pick up trucks!

Aug. 5, 2014, 12:01 a.m.

Guts. Glory. RAAAM.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Aug. 5, 2014, 1:17 a.m.

You know, its safe to say so far from this thread here and another on pirate4x4. I have come to the conclusion that the best way to go about it is to buy a Ford, GMC, Ram, Silverado, Tundra in the 89-2007 model range :D:D

Glad for everyone's thoughts on the matter though, should be good fun once I do actually have to decide haha

Aug. 5, 2014, 1:36 a.m.

You can't ask someone in North America "what's the better pickup truck". It's like asking whether blue is a nicer colour than red. People here get biased and set in their ways, most of the time with little to no validity in their reasons.

Plus, for generations it's been Ford vs GM in North America (Mopar is a fair bit smaller).

Just buy what you need to get you started, and then go on from there once you get the feel of what's available.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Aug. 5, 2014, 1:48 a.m.

haha too true. I guess its just the same as over here. Definitely has been helpful though. Given I have no bias personally its meant I can look at all models mentioned to decide on myself.

Ill have to shout ya'll a beer if I ever get to meet you guys though!

Aug. 5, 2014, 11:23 a.m.

Plus, for generations it's been Ford vs GM in North America (Mopar is a fair bit smaller).

For full size diesels it is now PowerStroke vs. Cummins vs. Duramax.

All have their fans and haters.

AdamB, if you want some reading material, check out the Lemonaide Used Car [HTML_REMOVED] Truck book for the truck [HTML_REMOVED] model year you are interested in. It goes through the flaws of all of them.

If you are working in Fernie, you might want to buy your truck in Calgary, lots of selection over there. That said, I've heard that to bring in an Alberta vehicle into BC, it has to pass the BC inspection to get it registered. I've never done it but heard that can be expensive if the vehicle has problems. (I've imported a US vehicle into BC and getting all the worn stuff replaced to meet the BC inspection was $$$$.

Aug. 5, 2014, 11:46 a.m.

If you are working in Fernie, you might want to buy your truck in Calgary, lots of selection over there. That said, I've heard that to bring in an Alberta vehicle into BC, it has to pass the BC inspection to get it registered. I've never done it but heard that can be expensive if the vehicle has problems. (I've imported a US vehicle into BC and getting all the worn stuff replaced to meet the BC inspection was $$$$.

A provincial VI isnt bad, as long as you DO NOT goto canadian tire. Provincial VI isnt the same as importing and having to get a RIV. When I transferred out of BC to Manitoba for work I had to get one, easy peasy

yeah bro!!

Aug. 23, 2014, 1:16 a.m.

What do you guys think of the early 2000's shape F-150s. I've come across a few good deals for the 4.6L triton equipped trucks. One especially that is asking $7K for only 110,xxxkms!

Aug. 23, 2014, 8:13 a.m.

Love them own a 2000 4x4 that I bought as a work truck paid $5200 it has 116k on it.$7000 seems a bit on the high side for a truck that age but better then newer with higher mileage.I like the body style it's a truck not a glorified penis extension.

The raw, primitive, unrefined trails that see little to no maintenance are the kinds of trails that really build skill. What kind of skills do you learn riding a trail that was made by a machine, groomed to perfection and void of any rocks, roots or other obstacles that could send you careening over the handlebars?

Aug. 23, 2014, 8:18 a.m.

I am scoping out 2014's, my top choices in 1500.

1500 ram - Awesome vehicle great ride, reasonable pricing, nice interior, but pay load numbers make me leery, not bad gas mileage 5.7l

GMC sierra 1500 - nice, but not as good as ram, better payload tho, found to be more expensive as well. Better gas mileage 5.3l

Ford - forget it.

Toyota Tundra - outdated interior, terrible harsh ride as compared to the above. WAY over priced with what you get.

RAM is easily the winner in trucks nowadays

rams a great truck if u like cheap things. theres a reason why ram trucks are the cheapest trucks you can buy.

cuz there built that way..

Aug. 23, 2014, 8:32 a.m.

http://youtu.be/UfHtcUZXljw

Some one please imbed that link for me. It is of utmost relevance to this thread and needs to be viewed by everyone.

Aug. 23, 2014, 9:23 a.m.

Love them own a 2000 4x4 that I bought as a work truck paid $5200 it has 116k on it.$7000 seems a bit on the high side for a truck that age but better then newer with higher mileage.I like the body style it's a truck not a glorified penis extension.

$5200, damn that is a good price. This one has a few extra additions to it from a stock standard I guess, plus you know how money talks when it comes down to actually putting in a offer.

2000 f150 XLT
2nd owner
4.6 V8 auto 4x4
power locks and mirrors
alarm system, 2 din stereo with alpine door speakers with sub
front warn bull guard, almost colour matching canopy.
rancho 9000xl adjustable shocks, b[HTML_REMOVED]m deep transmission pan.
33inch pro comp all terrains on 17inch rims around 60 to 70% left, set of 16inch rims with tires included aswell.
$7000 reasonable offers will be accepted

Aug. 23, 2014, 10:58 a.m.

http://youtu.be/UfHtcUZXljw

Haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfHtcUZXljw

Aug. 25, 2014, 12:58 a.m.

What do you guys think of the early 2000's shape F-150s. I've come across a few good deals for the 4.6L triton equipped trucks. One especially that is asking $7K for only 110,xxxkms!

Look at the mileage perhaps.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

Aug. 25, 2014, 6:21 a.m.

rams a great truck if u like cheap things. theres a reason why ram trucks are the cheapest trucks you can buy.

cuz there built that way..

I had a 2006 half ton with a hemi… what a piece of shit. Handled like an old shopping cart, terrible fuel economy, cheaply made Dodge "quality" inside and out. Those engines only like to work at higher rpms, which you could imagine the gas mileage when doing that.

If getting a domestic, get a GM/Chevy all the way. Best NA truck by far.

Aug. 25, 2014, 10:55 a.m.

Totally.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells