School me on tents

June 5, 2015, 9:02 a.m.

A rather distraught Buddy walks into the shrinks office "doc I'm having really messed up dreams, sometimes I think I'm a Teepee and sometimes I think I'm a walled tent "

"relax buddy … you're 2 tents"

badumpf

June 5, 2015, 9:26 a.m.

A rather distraught Buddy walks into the shrinks office "doc I'm having really messed up dreams, sometimes I think I'm a Teepee and sometimes I think I'm a walled tent "

"relax buddy … you're 2 tents"

badumpf

An Ojibwa woman that I worked with told me that joke for the first time … 30 years ago. Only she used I'm a wigwam/I'm a teepee.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

June 5, 2015, 9:39 a.m.

Why can't you run through a campground?

www.natooke.com

June 5, 2015, 10:50 a.m.

Anybody try the trick of keeping the tent dry in a big rain storm by putting up the fly first on the poles, then crawl inside and put up the tent?

I've seen a friend of mine do that with his Agnes Copper Spur.

I also have a Sil Wing tarp that I carry, was helpful for having a dry place to cook when camping in the sub-alpine.

(Left side of this pic, although the tarp in the shot is my friends, and we were in the trees at this camp.)

June 5, 2015, 12:56 p.m.

done the minimalist self supported ww kayak trips on the babine river sleeping under a siltarp

June 5, 2015, 1:04 p.m.

even if you dry your tarps and tents properly at some point they are done [HTML_REMOVED] need to be replaced, last summer we holed up in a fairly sheltered good spot to wait out a big storm with a MEC sil tarp that had probably 500 days on it … blew completely to pieces

I've got a 15 year old Mountain Hardware that's at that point. It's a "Nightview" or "Room with a View" and it has withstood insane downpours and I've stuffed stuff up against the walls without any moisture concerns. Recently though it gets damp from regular condensation and has picked up a few drips in light rain. :(

June 5, 2015, 1:23 p.m.

this MEC siltarp had degraded from an estimated 500 days of UV, we knew it was gona storm from the coast guard weather reports so when the storm blew up some small rips started and then it completely ripped lengthways in half we couldn't get a beach fire going for coffee in the AM so we just turned around and headed for home

if I was doing a really big trip I would pack 2 siltarps

June 5, 2015, 1:59 p.m.

Anybody try the trick of keeping the tent dry in a big rain storm by putting up the fly first on the poles, then crawl inside and put up the tent?

ya its pretty easy with the hubbas, although you need the ground sheet with grommets (is no tyvek) and itll get wet but w/e

another advantage to getting grommeted ground sheet instead of tyvek is that you can setup with just the gr sheet, poles, and fly. Its all you need for summer unless its extremely buggy overnight.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

June 5, 2015, 4:08 p.m.

you can grommet the tyvec. Then you throw it in the washing machine. It becomes less crinkly and will fold up smaller.

That said, I rock a hubba hubba, and have the proper ground sheet for it. I would recommend that tent.

I would also like to say that I would rather spend my money on having the proper sleeping bag with you, over forking out a lot of dough for a badass tent. If you are able to do both, then rock on!!

Use the saved weight and space to haul beer.

June 5, 2015, 4:32 p.m.

Joints take up less space.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

June 5, 2015, 4:41 p.m.

Joints take up less space.

Yea, but those are all packed up somewhere already. Beer is the next necessity.

June 5, 2015, 4:46 p.m.

Ive tried putting the tent up fly first, unless you rocking a 4 man tent or are really small, good luck…. If your successful your destined to join the circus.

June 5, 2015, 6:28 p.m.

another vote for the Hubba Hubba.

I also have a MSR Elixir 2…It was fairly inexpensive and not too bad weight wise.

Loud Hubs Save Lives

June 8, 2015, 7:57 a.m.

Ive tried putting the tent up fly first, unless you rocking a 4 man tent or are really small, good luck…. If your successful your destined to join the circus.

now there's a new career, It has only ever been raining hard enough to attempt putting the fly up first one time and the inner tent did stay dry

June 9, 2015, 7:08 p.m.

Anyone have experience with Kodiak tents? not looking for a lightweight tent, need a tent for family truck camping.

http://www.kodiakcanvas.com/flex-bow-tents/