School me on tents

June 4, 2015, 10:33 a.m.

I was going to recommend exactly what nechako suggested, hilleberg. Super light and simple, but expensive.

I bought mine a few years ago when the price was about $300 less but it was still a big investment. I have no regrets though.

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

June 4, 2015, 10:36 a.m.

I've got a big agnes Seedhouse SL-1 (1 man tent). Fits me ok but might not be long enough for someone tall. Quality is good and weights just 2 pounds. I probably wouldn't buy this model again though because the entry is at the end and can be a pain to get in/out of. Would definitely get a tent with a side entry next time. This would probably give it a more stable profile as well. Mine is very narrow so it can get whipped around like crazy in the wind.

Next time I'll probably take a weight penalty for a 2 man tent and get something that will stand up to wind a bit better and have a bit more room. Lots of great brands out there.

I have an OR Alpine bivy too, which has been awesome, 2 pounds as well. I actually use it a lot for car camping since its so easy to roll the whole setup up and throw it in the back seat when its time to move camp. I don't take it on trips where there is decent chance of foul weather as it would not be fun to have to hole up in a bivy to wait out the rain.

I don't think I'd ever get into using a hammock. Not comfy for me to sleep in, and not enough trees down here!

+1 on the tyvek ground sheet. Go to any store that sells lumber and get one of the sheets the lumber comes wrapped in. Light, tough, and free!

June 4, 2015, 10:45 a.m.

I have a Mec tarn 3. Takes about 2 minutes, maybe less, to set up. I have done hundreds of km of trips with it (and older models), and no problems.

this

http://www.mec.ca/product/5027-698/mec-tarn-3-tent/?h=10+50055+50858[HTML_REMOVED]f=10+50130+50858

I've owned a Tarn 3 since university, I'll date myself here, but it's over 15 years old and has been absolutely bomber. I've actually even only waterproofed the fly twice in that time too. really a phenomenal product.

June 4, 2015, 11 a.m.

MSR Hubba Hubba

I know of ton of people with them and everyone is super happy with them. Good balance of light weight and not too expensive, without being too fragile. There is a reason they really haven't changed the design in 10 years - because it's that good. Plus MSR has a great reputation for fixing any issues even if they are you own fault.

June 4, 2015, 12:04 p.m.

MSR Hubba Hubba

I know of ton of people with them and everyone is super happy with them. Good balance of light weight and not too expensive, without being too fragile. There is a reason they really haven't changed the design in 10 years - because it's that good. Plus MSR has a great reputation for fixing any issues even if they are you own fault.

Ya I see these come up a lot in discussions. Going to VPO to check some out.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

June 4, 2015, 12:14 p.m.

Good thread as I'm in the market.

The side entry/exit like the Hubba Hubba is appealing to me. Crawling in and out of the end of a tent has gotten old over the years, as has reaching for the zip at the end of the fly.

June 4, 2015, 12:18 p.m.

Here's another vote for Hilleberg tents, particularly the tunnel-shaped models which are extremely strong and offer the best interior space to weight ratio. I have the Kaitum 2 and I've used it for everything from summer car camping to multi-day backcountry ski touring at minus 25 degrees C.

June 4, 2015, 12:26 p.m.

I used to have a Moss Stardome, which I loved. Overkill for 3-season, but great for winter or alpine adventures. The current incarnation is the MSR Fury. If the size hasn't changed, it was plenty long enough for me at 6'1, and not too cramped for two.

If possible, spend time in a store setting up any tent you are considering. Even better, see if you can borrow or rent one for a trip before buying.

June 4, 2015, 1:33 p.m.

You can't go wrong with a Hilleberg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82tqHJB-690

Or how about a tipi?

https://store.kifaru.net/shelters-c5.aspx

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

June 4, 2015, 2:03 p.m.

Some good tent brand suggestions, I have the MSR Hubba Hubba and am really happy with it. A few thoughts though…
- vestibules are important. Place to leave your sandals as you get into the tent, a water bottle and TP. I also leave my boots under it
- get in and out a few times, imagine being in the rain. Back to that vestibule thing, can you crouch inside it?
- you want it to be free standing. Sometimes you place a tent, then need to move it, nice to be able to do so without untying everying thing. Also nice to lift the tent up and shake it out before you collapse it
- get a colour that doesn't blend into the surroundings. We never want to be rescued, but, would like to be seen from a helicopter if we do.
- can't say enough about a great waterproof design, be sure the floor is a 'bathtub' design

Good luck !

June 4, 2015, 7:49 p.m.

yeah I got the hubba hubba and its a great 3 season tent, about 6 lbs but also its got 2 vestibules a nice tent to spend time in, my buddy has 2 of them the original had 500 days on it so it started to get a little worn … he bought another one

but if you really want to go super light check out the big agnes

June 4, 2015, 11:34 p.m.

but if you really want to go super light check out the big agnes

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Specs/Tent

We have the 2 man Fly Creek, think it is 3 lbs including footprint.

June 5, 2015, 1:07 a.m.

Everyone I know with a msr hubba hubba likes them.

If your only gonna use your tent a few trips per year, you don't need that. Most modern tents are good enough and super close in preformance. Just store them clean and dry.

Spend 200 on a chinese made tent or 600 on a taiwanese made tent. It doest make a big difference. Its still just as easy to poke a hole in it or snap a pole.

Regarding 4 season. Tent placement and utilizing resources (snow) can go a long long way. We used to pack burly 4 season expedition tents on long trips, most of the time we wouldnt even set them up.

Id invest in a nice light guides tarp before an expensive tent. Youll always have it on you, and you might find its all you need.

June 5, 2015, 6:45 a.m.

Ill regurgitate what others said. Hilleberg if you want top-shelf quality and price. I have many nights in a MSR Hubba Hubba and have zero complaints. It's a roomy one man or a snug two man tent. MSR is said to have outstanding warranty and customer service too. I haven't had to use either yet.

June 5, 2015, 8:01 a.m.

Anybody try the trick of keeping the tent dry in a big rain storm by putting up the fly first on the poles, then crawl inside and put up the tent?

yeah the mec sil traps are a necessary item to live under especialy out on the north coast, kayak paddles make handy tarp poles

even if you dry your tarps and tents properly at some point they are done [HTML_REMOVED] need to be replaced, last summer we holed up in a fairly sheltered good spot to wait out a big storm with a MEC sil tarp that had probably 500 days on it … blew completely to pieces