School Me On Hiking Gear

Nov. 21, 2012, 5:37 p.m.

Any suggestions on stores to hit for good sleeping bags in Metro Van?
(Maybe online stores?)

My brother asked for a bag for Christmas so…

Have you checked out www.vpo.ca ?

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

Nov. 22, 2012, 2:28 a.m.

MSR Pocket Rocket stove is pretty slick.

Pretty much every british soldier who spends time in the field has one of these.
Most of my stuff is a bit (british) military-centric;
PLCE bergen, snugpak sleeping bag (w/issue bivvi bag), ortleib rubber canoe bags (used as insertion sacks); large one for the main body and small ones for the side pouches. The only gucci bit of kit I have is a snowpeak Ti cooking pot.

Nov. 22, 2012, 9:54 a.m.

Really into my Marmot Aeolos tent, discontinued in the last year or so but this is fairly similar, just has a full mesh upper. I picked mine up from Hillsound (two blocks east of MEC on broadway)

http://marmot.com/products/aura_2p?p=118,173,187[HTML_REMOVED]ft=187

Super good having the double sided vestibule for gear and your bud not climbing over your shit in boots. The bare bones set up with just ground sheet and fly are also nice if you need to pack something lighter for summer.

MSR Stoves are rad. I roll with the SuperFly, super capable and compatible with canisters, just not a fan of the way it folds up. If I was to change out I'd get the WhisperLite Universal since it can swap between canister and liquid fuel bottles.

// What's Good // F U N E R A L // Ultramontane // DEEP SIX //

Nov. 22, 2012, 10:22 a.m.

I am a total Osprey slut. Those packs are amazing. I own two for hiking, one for skiing and I'll probably pick up a Zealot for riding next summer.

this.
i have 3 osprey backs and they are all fantastic.
I love me Aether and my Kode 30.
Their biking hydration packs are top notch as well!

Nov. 22, 2012, 10:28 a.m.

Any suggestions on stores to hit for good sleeping bags in Metro Van?
(Maybe online stores?)

My brother asked for a bag for Christmas so…

I'm assuming that REI will have a black friday sale online.

As for physical stores in Van, you're best bet is to head to "the strip" on broadway right around MEC. Lots of options to look around at pretty much everything that is available.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

Nov. 22, 2012, 10:44 a.m.

Here is some of my favourite outdoor gear. :)

I haven't used the Saivo on a trip yet, but it seems like an awesome tent.

I love my Longbow pack, I've had it for 2 years now and it has held up extremely well despite carrying multiple 70+lb loads.

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

Nov. 22, 2012, 10:48 a.m.

If you are tall, consider the sizing options, especially in smaller packs (which are often only offered in one size). Most brands do offer different sizes but not all shops carry them (i.e. MEC doesn't carry Thermarests in Long but Valhalla does).

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Nov. 22, 2012, 11:25 a.m.

Arcteryx is good for packs. I've had a Bora 65 forever and it's bombproof. Heavy though.

The Altra 65 is light and has all the bells and whistles. A good pack can make up for a lot of other shortcomings in your gear.

http://citizenclass.cp-sms.biz/entries/gear-review/arc-teryx-altra-65-backpack---first-look

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

Nov. 22, 2012, 11:53 a.m.

Kifaru makes excellent packs/bags, they also make some decent looking shelter options.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
— Sigmund Freud

:canada: :usa:

Dec. 2, 2012, 2:46 p.m.

Anyone ordered stuff from Backcountry.com ?

Good? Bad? Quick? Slow?

Dec. 2, 2012, 2:54 p.m.

Not sure who they use to ship to Canadia, but I've bought off them down here and everything went well.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

Dec. 2, 2012, 3:50 p.m.

I went backpacking for the first time this last summer. Iffy shoulders made me want to carry as little as possible. I ended up with 32 pounds, including all food, water, bear can. I was able to walk for miles with a minimum of discomfort to my knees, ankles, hips, shoulders, everything. At the end of the trip my shoulders felt GREAT, better than before hand.

Make sure you know how to field maintain your water solution, I didn't, I was lucky it was a short trip.

Definitely check out this book:

Clear, concise, able to be digested by my noob self.

Hope all this helps.

www.vitalmtb.com

March 6, 2016, 9:39 p.m.

Thought id bump this back to the top rather than a new thread.

So I'm hitting up the West coast trail in mid June and am starting to look around for some new gear.
Any recommendations on packs - brands, sizes, what type of boot to look at, sleeping bags etc.

Doing the hike with a friend who is pretty knowledgable on hiking gear for back in Australia's conditions, but looking for different opinions from people more from the area as well.

March 6, 2016, 10:55 p.m.

Athletic hike lots of grunt up/down ladders so go hightech go light. Synthetic bag not down for dampness obviously.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

March 6, 2016, 11:31 p.m.

People run the WCT, so just about any decent trail shoe/boot should be able to handle the terrain.

Figure out how much weight you expect to be carrying, and choose footwear that will keep your feet/ankles/knees happy.

For a pack, get the smallest size that fits you well, and will hold everything you plan to take. If you take a bigger pack than you really need, the tendency is to fill it up. Add on pockets like these are a good way to add extra volume for the start of the trip, and then easily remove it as you go through your food, rather than having a half empty pack flopping around on your back (something I hate, YMMV) for the later part of the trip.

http://www.mec.ca/product/5030-448/mec-universal-cargo-pocket-unisex/