School me on 4runners

Dec. 20, 2011, 12:15 a.m.

Theres another one doing Toyota 3.0L diesels in FJ's Tacoma's and 4runners. I could deal with buying one with a bummed motor and having that done.

There was a guy up north selling his 06 i think it was with SAS and a 3B turbo. It was for sale for 14,000 for like two days.

Had 175,000kms on the truck.

Me personally, I actually like my 3.0L gas motor. Get's good gas mileage, goes anywhere. Cams really woke it up

I have 35's and I get better mileage then I did when it came from factory.

Dec. 20, 2011, 12:16 a.m.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

No.

:agree:

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Dec. 20, 2011, 12:21 a.m.

get an ecoboost

Dec. 20, 2011, 12:27 a.m.

I'm arguably a pretty sizable xterra fan. Seriously. I even dig the interiors. But the motors and transmission options don't work. Go sit in any of the local forums. I've owned almost as many nissans as I have toyotas. (9) And I've taken enough apart to understand that nissan builds good stuff. The engineering is there. However the fuel economy on anything they put 4x4 on is ALWAYS terrible. Dating all the way back to the hardbody pickups in the 80's. Hot rod 8 spark plug 4 cylinder z24's could pull on a 22re and put toyota in it's place. But they drank like nobody's business. And the 3.3 or supercharged or other options in an xterra put the nissan motor back in the days of 3.0L toyotas as far as technology goes. The toyota v6 is a farrrr superior option. I will say the xterra is good, but having put just over 5,000kms on one. The motor and trans let me down, the auto never seemed to have the right gear for BC roads, and engine never had power. And the supercharged wouldn't run right on anything but premium and when you went even slightly over the speed limit, agassiz to the loops left you on fumes. It was loud, and I can just imagine maintenance on that would be less then enjoyable… Lot's of good attributes, but the motor/transmission aren't one of them. So a bad heart and soul sadly means a bad car in my books. As for the pathfinder. Soccer mom, the v6 gets worse fuel mileage then toyotas v8, much lighter built underneath, good for a soccer mom with a fuel card I guess, and it's UGLY, nice interior.

4runner has it's issues, but is a nice place to be aka not tiresome to drive, and the lesser of the three evils.

Dec. 20, 2011, 5:23 a.m.

20 years ago the 4runner was leaps and bounds better than it's competition. (Look at a 1992 4runner compared to a 1992 pathfinder, explorer, cherokee, blazer, etc!)

I'd much rather have a 92 Cherokee than a 4runner.

Pastor of Muppets

Dec. 20, 2011, 8:42 a.m.

i hope you like changing head gaskets

Dec. 20, 2011, 9:50 a.m.

I'd much rather have a 92 Cherokee than a 4runner.

If having pipe cleaners for axles is your thing. Lol unibody. You're a smart guy but Cherokee :lol:

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Dec. 20, 2011, 10:40 a.m.

There was a guy up north selling his 06 i think it was with SAS and a 3B turbo. It was for sale for 14,000 for like two days.

Had 175,000kms on the truck.

Me personally, I actually like my 3.0L gas motor. Get's good gas mileage, goes anywhere. Cams really woke it up
I have 35's and I get better mileage then I did when it came from factory.

You did cams on a 3VZE? What did you put in and what differences didja see? power/mpg?

I'm getting 18-20 mpg on my 95 with 30" tires…it's still sluggish though.

Bicycles!

Dec. 20, 2011, 11:16 a.m.

If having pipe cleaners for axles is your thing. Lol unibody. You're a smart guy but Cherokee :lol:

I ran the d35 axles with no issue but did the ford conversion when I lifted it.

For daily driver use and up to 31 inch tires and light offroading,the stock gear is sufficient.

The unibody is a non issue…nice try though.

Pastor of Muppets

Dec. 20, 2011, 1:21 p.m.

i can totally tell who here likes riding intense frames

Dec. 20, 2011, 1:25 p.m.

the d30 is ok the 35 rear is a pile of crud.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Dec. 20, 2011, 6:03 p.m.

Cherokee's aren't bad. 4.0L was reliable and made good power. Nice and quiet inside, smooth ride. Same transmission as Toyota's of the same era, I kinda like the late 90's XJ "Classic" but, never been much for SUVs.

As far as the newer 4runners go, it seems to me that they aren't ridiculously over priced like everyone is saying, sure you can go all out and get the loaded one but then you're comparing apples to horse shit. The luxury trims on the 4runner are more comparable to something like a Land Rover, Lincoln or Caddy.

Dec. 20, 2011, 10:21 p.m.

Cherokee's aren't bad. 4.0L was reliable and made good power. Nice and quiet inside, smooth ride. Same transmission as Toyota's of the same era, I kinda like the late 90's XJ "Classic" but, never been much for SUVs.

As far as the newer 4runners go, it seems to me that they aren't ridiculously over priced like everyone is saying, sure you can go all out and get the loaded one but then you're comparing apples to horse shit. The luxury trims on the 4runner are more comparable to something like a Land Rover, Lincoln or Caddy.

XJ's are dirt cheap and good place to start if on a budget, super easy to fix. Except I can sleep in the back of my 4runner, comfortably, I'm 6'3

Dec. 20, 2011, 10:24 p.m.

You did cams on a 3VZE? What did you put in and what differences didja see? power/mpg?

I'm getting 18-20 mpg on my 95 with 30" tires…it's still sluggish though.

Uh yeah, they're super easy to install. Are you auto? What gearing? A good friend has a fully built 3vze it ripppppppps. I had a custom cam done, base on the sea2sky cam with a few refinements. slightly better bottom end, way better mid range torque. Rev's up from the bottom alot quicker. Exhaust/intake are slightly done as well. I probably gained for sure 3mpg, if not more.

Dec. 20, 2011, 10:34 p.m.

I don't know if I would buy a post-2002 4Runner. The 1996 to 2002 generation seems like a good balance of power:weight and size. The 2003 and later models got rather fat and heavy compared to a 2000, 2001 or 2002 model. Maybe there were big improvements in the North American spec V6 engine - I'm not sure. Apparently the EPA MPG estimates for city/highway are about the same for either a 2000 4runner or a 2006 4runner. The post-2008 model looks really fat, like it wants to be a Land Cruiser but can't quite decide how to go about becoming one.

edit:

I guess I should give an example of ongoing 4runner bloat. The 1996 to 2002 in stock configurations were all pretty much the same weight, with the same 1200 pound payload rating.

2002 4runner 4x4 V6 curb weight: 3900 pounds
2006 4runner 4x4 V6 curb weight: 4320 pounds (the V8 is 10 pounds heavier).
2009 4runner 4x4 V8 curb weight: 4505 pounds
2012 4runner 4x4 V6 curb weight: 4675 pounds

all data taken from googling "2006 4runner specifications" and carsdirect.com, such as:

http://www.carsdirect.com/toyota/4runner/specs

At this rate the 4runner will be heavier than the land cruiser in several years. I saw a 2010 or 2011 model recently, it's monstrous compared to a 1999.

"Bicycling is a healthy and manly pursuit with much to recommend it, and, unlike other foolish crazes, it has not died out."
- The Daily Telegraph (1877)