ScFi Recommendations

Oct. 26, 2009, 7:35 p.m.

Fatherland by Robert Harris. More of a thriller alt history. The best book I've read this year.

Oct. 26, 2009, 7:43 p.m.

Also, has anyone mentioned John Brunner yet? The Sheep Look Up and Stand On Zanzibar are two of my favourites.

Second one was a bit of a reach…

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

Oct. 27, 2009, 8:54 a.m.

I tried Fatherland, but its instantly a muder mystery. snore. I stoped a few pages in. Pehrpas that's my fault, I have tendancy to bail on books early if the writing or story starts out weak.

I really liked Enigma by Harris though….

Oct. 27, 2009, 7 p.m.

I would include "The Road" by McCarthy.

What I dislike about most sf is the really bad writing. Some authors havegreat sotries, but the writing is terrible. I just can't read such drivel. The Road was a neat book, post apocalyptic survival. And was well written. used an interesting punctuation style, or lack thereof.

Anyone have any well written sf book?

So far the Sheep Look Up has made it to my short list.

I too enjoyed the Road, because of the writing even if it was a tad on the gloomy side.

If you enjoy good writing, i.e as in you suddenly find yourself saying "wow that's nicely written" I would recommend Iain Banks and Orson Scott Card.

Thanks for the recommendations, should keep me busy for a while, and reminders of good authors to revisit.

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.