Save The Waldorf!

Jan. 15, 2013, 1:22 p.m.

and here lies the real problem. some people believe words trump cash.

/endthread

Not half as many fucks where given when the cecil closed, and that place was actually a place worth going too.

Clunking is for retards.

Jan. 15, 2013, 1:37 p.m.

the city has just placed a 4 month protection order on the building to review it's heritage value. the building isn't that old relatively speaking, but examples of mid-century architecture like this are relatively scarce, and, i think, worthy of preservation. we shall see…

Jan. 15, 2013, 1:42 p.m.

Why would they want to get rid of a salad? I thought everyone liked a good tossed salad.

Jan. 15, 2013, 4:45 p.m.

Remember the Starfish Room? Remember Richards on Richards?

"What is the net benefit of all these condos to Vancouverites anyway?" (damian)

Hey - at least we know how the Costa Ricans feel, right?

As my friend Sean said: "Dear Waldorf Hotel, meet The Sugar Refinery, Starfish Room, Blinding Light, W2, Emergency Room, Sweatshop, Red Gate, 151, GLEN 360, Red Lounge, The Niagara, PUB 340, The Columbia, Richards on Richards, The Lamplighter, Brickyard, Underwear Farm, Butchershop, Honey/Lick/Lotus, Luvaffair, The Cavern, Smiling Buddha, Marine Club, Peanut Gallery, Pic Pub, Marble Arch, Mesa Luna, Town Pump, Purple Onion, Miss T’s, Selynn Hall, Java Joint, Pantages, Chameleon Club, Blinding Light, the Ridge, Dude Chilling Park, The Vancouver Playhouse, Exposure Gallery, Dadabase, Terminal City Newspaper, Tooth and Dagger, The Only, Beyond Robson, and a billion skate spots."

Not all of these have closed, but have changed a lot in terms of what they use to be.

http://scoutmagazine.ca/2013/01/11/tea-two-slices-on-the-waldorf-closing-east-vancouver-becoming-a-dry-zone/

www.ryanrose.ca

Yeah?

Jan. 15, 2013, 4:53 p.m.

looks like a cool spot with a hipster problem

Jan. 15, 2013, 8:51 p.m.

Ah they can just book gigs in the cultural landmark that is the renovated BC Place stadium. Or Rogers when the Canucks cant decide how to split their windfall

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Jan. 15, 2013, 9:57 p.m.

So you want security for your business?

Sign a loooooooong term lease, or buy the building- it appears it was for sale.

They did, or is 15yrs not long enough?

Admittedly, it sounds like they had issues at first getting things going, but it's cruising along pretty well now. Sounds like the lease was change to month-month in December. Pretty hard to book gigs, when you don't know if the building will be there when they show up.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Jan. 15, 2013, 10:05 p.m.

It used to be really nice when folks cared about the fabric that made up their city.

I wonder where the htfu crowd will be when eventually OCP's and zoning will be changed to allow condo development on your precious trails?

Pastor of Muppets

Jan. 15, 2013, 10:14 p.m.

"What is the net benefit of all these condos to Vancouverites anyway?" (damian)

Hey - at least we know how the Costa Ricans feel, right?

Strapping Young Lad @ Starfish Room was the loudest show I have ever been to. My ears were still ringing 2 days later.

Jan. 15, 2013, 10:34 p.m.

It's sad how many ignorant people are in this thread, I thought the NSMB might be a group that would appreciate saving the Waldorf, regardless of whether you'd go there. Regardless of whether you go there or not, you should be able to appreciate its value to the city.

I definitely signed (back when it first came out). It's not only a Vancouver landmark (which IS absolutely worth something), but it's also a cultural hub and important part of Vancouver nightlife these days. They did an amazing job with the place in 2010 and to lose that is terrible. And all for more faceless condos? There's lots of land elsewhere that could be used for that.

Jan. 15, 2013, 10:48 p.m.

So is everyone kicking in 10 or 20K of their own money as part of this petition?

This isn't about profitability - there was an article about the Waldorf and how people like to bitch and sign petitions but don't actually financially support the cause. In many cases this is a valid point and it does drive me nuts too (typically hippies…) BUT the Waldorf isn't an example of that at all, and thus the article was way off base. The Waldorf is doing VERY well for itself. The property being sold had nothing to do with that - the landowner gets his rent based on the lease agreement no matter whether the folks renting the place make a profit or not. I had been there a few times - but there were plenty of people supporting the place.

So you want security for your business?
Sign a loooooooong term lease, or buy the building- it appears it was for sale.
If the businesses were that viable and valuable and the location is that important to the business- BUY IT.
If it was a historical landmark - why no attempts to designate it as such prior?
Don't whine after the fact when the owners want to max their investment.
If this was such a great business model - open up another one. If it can't be done then it wasn't.

You can't just get a loan for the huge amount of money that site is likely worth just because you've been doing well for the past 2 years. The tenants don't have a say in whether it's marked historical etc.

It doesn't need to prove to you or anyone else it was a successful business model, the attendance over the past 2 years already proves it.

Ah they can just book gigs in the cultural landmark that is the renovated BC Place stadium. Or Rogers when the Canucks cant decide how to split their windfall

Well obviously you're kidding but who really goes to these stadiums for shows? What's the point? Maybe if it's your last chance to see some over-the-hill band before they're REALLY too old to play anymore, but it's really not fun if you ask me. The smaller the venue the better if you are going for the music.

I'm not calling anyone an idiot here but I think there's been some idiotic things said for sure.

Jan. 15, 2013, 11:20 p.m.

So is everyone kicking in 10 or 20K of their own money as part of this petition?

Have you ever been in a city outside of Vancouver? If so, you know why this is a ridiculous thing to post.

Jan. 15, 2013, 11:27 p.m.

I hope the waldy stays.

Jan. 16, 2013, 12:22 a.m.

pretentious, boring, baristas with degrees in shitty 'art' a.k.a hipsters - deserve a place to call home, that's why I support the waldorf even though I don't frequent it.

We all deserve our own hang out spot.

Jan. 16, 2013, 2:34 a.m.

Sneaky Pete's. The Cave. The club at Kingsway and Main (can't remember the name - Vancouver Tonight?) . Luv Affair. Celebrities. Chicago Tonight. Fast Eddies. That live band hotel on North Road (Coquitlam babes were great). Diegos - Severins. Pharaohs. Lougheed Hotel. Mistys. Biltmore. Warehouse Club. The Pit. Frams.

Those were fun places, by what I only miss is Fresgos after hours.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells