Save The Waldorf!

Jan. 14, 2013, 7:23 p.m.

Sign the petition……….

http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/gregor-robertson-deny-rezoning-of-the-waldorf-hotel-site-to-condo-development

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Jan. 14, 2013, 7:34 p.m.

Didn't we have a thread on this already?

Jan. 14, 2013, 8:46 p.m.

Tone it down with your hippy shit, hippy…

Jan. 14, 2013, 8:52 p.m.

Didn't we have a thread on this already?

Deleted by OP

flickr

Jan. 14, 2013, 8:52 p.m.

I never go to drink in that shady part of town, not a fuck given.

Clunking is for retards.

Jan. 14, 2013, 9:08 p.m.

HaHa, Vancouver is parking meters and shoe boxes, who gives a fuck!

Jan. 15, 2013, 12:32 a.m.

I never go to drink in that shady part of town, not a fuck given.

That area is hardly shady though… People make out E. Hastings to be far worse then it is most times. And down by the Waldorf, far from main, not real sketchy.

On this note though, there is a rally at city hall at noon tomorrow…

www.ryanrose.ca

Yeah?

Jan. 15, 2013, 12:33 a.m.

it was sold meaning the owner decided to shut it down. the city has little or nothing do with it. looks like zero fucks were given by the property owners so what the fuck is the city supposed to do.

The city has nothing to do with the sale, but the city can do something about the actual building… There's a lot to what they're looking into right now with the Waldorf and the cultural community it has brought around.

www.ryanrose.ca

Yeah?

Jan. 15, 2013, 12:34 a.m.

a rally for a dive bar. really?

It's not a dive bar though… When was the last time you've been there? (it has changed into a well done cultural hub in 2010)

http://www.waldorfhotel.com/

www.ryanrose.ca

Yeah?

Jan. 15, 2013, 12:38 a.m.

if you care so much why don't you and your hipster buds pool your cash together. this taxpayer is tired of funding special interest groups.

The issues at hand here are a bit more complicated then this… And while most of this is about the Waldorf being closed, it's a broder issue that people see with destroying culture within the city with lack of resources/places/etc/etc. Have a culturally thriving, and diverse city is an important thing.

The hipster joke with this is pretty played out too… Just sayin'. Caring about arts and culture/being an artist doesn't make one a "hipster." And hipster was a thing far before whatever this current "hipster" thing (as it related to jazz in the late 40's/early 50's), just for a bit of knowledge on it.

www.ryanrose.ca

Yeah?

Jan. 15, 2013, 12:42 a.m.

its not that complicated. dont make it sound more than it is.

But it is more then it is… I take it you haven't read any articles that have been in the national post, vancouver sun, georgia straight, etc, etc about the closure of the Waldorf? It's more then just about the closure of the Waldorf…

www.ryanrose.ca

Yeah?

Jan. 15, 2013, 12:44 a.m.

last i heard cash dont give a fuck.

This is where part of the problem lies…

Culture and arts also bring a lot to the economy too (the Waldorf hotel has 60 employees who will now be out of work)…

www.ryanrose.ca

Yeah?

Jan. 15, 2013, 1:30 a.m.

this taxpayer is tired of funding special interest groups.

So Mr. Obstreperous, where do get the idea any tax $ are gonna' be spent on this. Other than a few city hall bureaucrats pushing the paper around that'll be drawn up to quash the demolition of the place.

The tenants need some kind of long term surety to run a business. The peeps that employ the workers and book the entertainment can't do it on a month to month basis like they've now been offered post sale.

So the city needs to designate it heritage/not allow re-zoning to residential whatever so the developer will have to play ball with the current tenants.

And soon before they goes tits up.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Jan. 15, 2013, 1:39 a.m.

mr. obstreperous, meet mr. put your money where your mouth is.

I signed the petition. 8)

Jan. 15, 2013, 1:55 a.m.

But it is more then it is… I take it you haven't read any articles that have been in the national post, vancouver sun, georgia straight, etc, etc about the closure of the Waldorf? It's more then just about the closure of the Waldorf…

There's more to everything with you hipsters. Judging from all the people on facebook I see crying about it, 0 fucks were given about any culture, many fucks were given about how this issue is trendy.