Sandy Hook defamation trial

Aug. 8, 2022, 11:42 a.m.

Both the daily (nyt) frontburner (cbc) podcasts have episodes on the Texas trials, good listens.

There are 3 more defamation rulings coming, all have been ruled Guilty (same circumstances as this one, where AJ tried to stall so long the judge ruled him guilty with no defense). Anyway, the next one is in Connecticut which is not only less conservative in these types of rulings, but is where the Sandy Hook shooting took place. I look forward to them saying "What's that Texas? 45M? Hold our beer". 

And apparently the lawyer from the Texas trial says he's going to share AJ's texts with Media/Police/Jan6 committee where appropriate.  Glad AJ's getting a little of what's due.

Last edited by: Couch_Surfer on Aug. 8, 2022, 11:46 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 9, 2022, 5:42 a.m.

I love how Alex is shilling his products extra hard since the verdict. Pleading for help in his legal battles. 

If he's half as broke as he says any profits made are just gonna be funneled into the hands of Scarlett Lewis and Neil Heslein. His supporters know this right?

Aug. 9, 2022, 5:47 a.m.

If anyone's interested in diving deeper into the world of infowars and conspiratorial right wing politics I can't recommend these guys podcast enough:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/business/2022/08/07/will-the-alex-jones-trials-change-conspiracy-culture.cnn

I've been listening to knowledge fight since 2018 when they were living off beans to make their show happen. It's been pretty awesome to see them slowly gain followers and make a real living off spreading solid information. Dan Friesen was even hired as an expert consultant for the plaintiff's legal team.

Last edited by: Fast-Orange on Aug. 9, 2022, 5:47 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 14, 2022, 4:12 p.m.

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/aug/09/alex-jones-nude-photo-wife-roger-stone

Sept. 22, 2022, 4:37 p.m.

Alex Jones took the stand today in the 2nd trial in Connecticut.

I think it's worth noting that AJ is currently suing the young turks for defamation while defending himself against people suing him for defamation. 

His whole defense is basically defamation isn't a thing because freedom of speech so I'm not sure how he squares this in his head...

Oct. 12, 2022, 2:38 p.m.

CT Jury awards almost 1BN to the Sandy Hook families. Wow.

https://www.cnn.com/business/live-news/alex-jones-sandy-hook-trial-decision#h_7134b0e70b4069011d7c2d02e21ce3a3

They'll be in appeals hell for decades fighting this, but at least today I can smile thinking about that bloviating asshole getting served up proper.  Seriously, fuck that guy.

Last edited by: Couch_Surfer on Oct. 12, 2022, 2:39 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 12, 2022, 2:56 p.m.

Next is to see how his bankruptcy trial goes. I haven't been following that too much but what I have heard is he isn't nearly as good at hiding his assets as he thinks he is.

Oct. 12, 2022, 4:03 p.m.

Posted by: Fast-Orange

Next is to see how his bankruptcy trial goes. I haven't been following that too much but what I have heard is he isn't nearly as good at hiding his assets as he thinks he is.

Conspiracy theorists in general are not as clever as they think they are. He'll find a cushy spot to land though, I'm sure.

Oct. 12, 2022, 4:15 p.m.

Not worthy of its own thread, but this was an insightful movie about a fictional school shooting.   

1 of 1 hecklers recommended.

https://youtu.be/B_XUlbPW-eY

Oct. 14, 2022, 8:47 p.m.

Just watched this with the SO. Pretty good flick.

Oct. 15, 2022, 5:58 a.m.

The movie makes me wonder about the true motivations behind school shooters. 

I try not to read much about incidents as they occur (this trial might be of my motivations to distance myself from the news), but now I question how much truth about the mindset of the perpetrator is ever known or made  public.  Is it even investigated?

Oct. 17, 2022, 2:03 p.m.

For all that are interested there is a Podcast called Knowledge Fight which 'specializes' in Alex Jones / Infowars BS. the do a few episodes a week and pay a lot of attention to these trials.

They have had one of the Texas Defence lawyers on several times, including over the weekend to recap the Conneticuit trial.

they use humour and truth to address all the BS AJ spews.

Oct. 17, 2022, 2:24 p.m.

Posted by: mrraulduke

For all that are interested there is a Podcast called Knowledge Fight which 'specializes' in Alex Jones / Infowars BS. the do a few episodes a week and pay a lot of attention to these trials.

They have had one of the Texas Defence lawyers on several times, including over the weekend to recap the Conneticuit trial.

they use humour and truth to address all the BS AJ spews.

I love knowledge fight. I've been throwing a few bucks a month to their patreon since 2018. Dan Friesen is so good at cutting through bullcrap.

Oct. 17, 2022, 3:40 p.m.

Posted by: heckler

The movie makes me wonder about the true motivations behind school shooters. 

I try not to read much about incidents as they occur (this trial might be of my motivations to distance myself from the news), but now I question how much truth about the mindset of the perpetrator is ever known or made  public.  Is it even investigated?

Considering a lot of the shooters are shot dead motives are going to be elusive.  Unless they leave a note.  I take great significance to the fact most of the mass shootings are in the US.  I don't read into the gun factor; knife violence is rampant in the UK where guns are hard to come by so violence and hate find a way to commit crime.  The gun does make the incident easier/more impactful.  But as some realize you can use a car/bus/van as well.   I think the cultural mindset in the US is of huge importance.  Those left out/left behind/forgotten/ignored/abused/marginalized is huge in the US and when it reaches a breaking point.......  You have a country that unless you have medical insurance bankrupts you over things you don't even think about in Canada.  Add in less of a social security net.  Columbine:  the shooters were loners and bullied all thru school.  They finally had enough.  Virginia Tech shooter:  had known mental issues and STILL was allowed to purchase the guns used.  In his note he mentioned how he tried to date girls but was ignored or turned down repeatedly.  They ignored him and didn't take him seriously.   Mark Lapine whom shot 14 women in Montreal.....hated women.  I would suspect he was harshly treated by his mother and had serious issues with women growing up.  Most likely had poor relationships (if any) with women.  Maybe talking to the people whom knew the perpetrators might give some insight.  Although, if talking to parents I wouldn't be surprised the view of the shooters would be slanted to remove any possibility of bad parenting/abuse.  The weapon used is not the issue; the people are and that is a much harder issue to fix.  But finding out the problem before it becomes an issue is a problem that has never (and I suspect never will) be fixed.  Look at how many incarcerated people were abused as children.  Look at the result.  Here in Canada when there is a shooting we hear only about the major ones.  How many happen that are smaller scale and are only reported locally or don't make international interest.

Oct. 18, 2022, 6:25 a.m.

^^^

A big myth was constructed around the personas of thr columbine shooters. They weren't depressed and bullied loners. Their lives looking in from the outside appeared ideal. I remember that time well because I hung out with goth kids and once a bus driver wouldn't let us on the bus because a couple of us were wearing trenchcoats.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2019/04/19/bullies-black-trench-coats-columbine-shootings-most-dangerous-myths/

Last edited by: Fast-Orange on Oct. 18, 2022, 6:26 a.m., edited 1 time in total.