Samsung Galaxy S II

June 1, 2011, 9:39 a.m.

The Galaxy S II is the first phone that has made me think I might want to upgrade from my beloved Nexus One. It really is that nice a smartphone.

my point is, a phone should be a phone and not pretend to be a good camera and camcorder - all these new smartphones are turning into tablets first phone second.

should be phone first and extras after.

The reason they are becoming this way is that people are making less and less actual phonecalls and doing more communication via email/sms/instant messaging/social media. The average smartphone user will likely spend a lot more time checking and sending messages and using visual applications than talking on the phone so it's pretty natural the devices would tilt that way in functionality. In essence they are in fact tiny tablets that can also make phone calls.

No one wants to see a video you took with your phone - unless it is of kittens or of someone getting hurt.

This however, is both amusing and true. The exception is if you have kids and grandparents harassing you for videos on a regular basis it beats having to carry a camcorder around.

June 1, 2011, 9:42 a.m.

i think devorider is right.

just because a phone has a WAY better video camera than other PHONES, doesn't mean it should advertise that fact.

i mean, why would a producer of a product want to convince people that their product is superior to … oh wait

this space is intentionally blank, other than this note about it being blank.

June 1, 2011, 10:13 a.m.

SGII should also have NFC For Google wallet

Hopefully by the time the SGII is released here there will actually be places to use NFC in Canada. My Nexus S has NFC but it's pretty useless here right now, although from what I've heard Visa will start rolling out NFC payment methods this fall in Canada.

"Dont be fooled Timmy, if the cow had a chance he'd kill you and everyone you love."

June 1, 2011, 11:13 a.m.

By the time the SGSII is released here, the SGSIII will already be out elsewhere in the world.

June 1, 2011, 11:08 p.m.

I think it's actually supposed to be coming here for late Q2/early Q3. I was completely set on getting this phone when it comes out… but now I'm getting an iphone through work :(.

The benchmarks are insane, it can be overclocked to 1.5ghz…