same sh*t different day

Jan. 11, 2009, 8:54 p.m.

From your initial symptoms, it sounds like the timing is way off.

Don't you have a shop teacher to point you in the right direction?

yes sir. He thinks its the fuel filter.

I can ask him to help me check my timing. This is BHS…. not the best school. Our auto tech teacher used to be a (shop manager?) for merc.

It is the moments in between disaster that we must find joy and meaning to life.

I can mud bog farther, its s chevy

Jan. 11, 2009, 8:59 p.m.

Try sticking your junk in it.

no no, he said he wants to fix it.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Jan. 11, 2009, 9:14 p.m.

Changing the fuel filter won't hurt.

Checking the timing doesn't cost anything (assuming you have access to a timing light), just the time to hook it up.

Jan. 11, 2009, 11:06 p.m.

From your initial symptoms, it sounds like the timing is way off.

Good suggestion. It'd make the vehicle hard to start and give poor throttle response.

Then again, so would poor fuel flow or a bad spark.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Jan. 11, 2009, 11:21 p.m.

I think it's customary in every shop class everywhere, to monkey with somebody else's vehicle. To see if they can figure out what you did, or just to fuck with them for fun.

Maybe some of the awesome people at your school put sugar in your gas tank, because they were jealous of your wheels. Or just moved your distributor enough to throw off your timing. Or played with your carb settings. Or swapped your plug wires around.

The best things in life all start with the letter B
Hooray for: Bacon, Bikeys, Boobies, Boards, and Beer!

Jan. 12, 2009, 8:30 p.m.

didnt you try the truck before you bought it? Sounds like a timing issue to me.

I had the same problem with my car after putting in the new engine. I adjusted it the best I could without a timing light just to get to the garage. Turned out the timing was off by 8 degrees. My car has a vacuum advance timing and I had to replace my injector seats from the block and new injector o-rings.

Don't use wd-40 to check for a vacuum leak but use brake cleaner instead. it won't leave any residue. Check around your intake manifold too.

change your spark plugs, all the spark plug wires, the cap and rotor and re-adjust timing.
An other thing to consider is the viscosity of your oil since it is colder outside you should put in your engine and oil that is thinner to compensate for the cold outside. Changing the gas filter is always a good idea and should be done every 20000 km at the least. Get an exhaust anylising machining and adjust your air-gas mixture as well.

That's all I can suggest to help make your truck run smoother

didnt know nsmb was only for pros

its not, its only for dicks.

My Flickr

Jan. 12, 2009, 9:06 p.m.

An other thing to consider is the viscosity of your oil since it is colder outside you should put in your engine and oil that is thinner to compensate for the cold outside.

He is in Texas so the cold won't be much of an issue.

Jan. 12, 2009, 9:14 p.m.

doh!

didnt know nsmb was only for pros

its not, its only for dicks.

My Flickr

Jan. 12, 2009, 9:28 p.m.

Don't use wd-40 to check for a vacuum leak but use brake cleaner instead. it won't leave any residue.

From the sounds of his truck, I don't think a little w-d residue would be an issue.
I found brake cleaner to flash off too quick to be of use for me. But then again
it's been 8-9 years since I've been in his boat…err situation (though some of
my old cars could qualify as a boat).

So skippy (pb) have you done anything we've suggested? :lol:

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Jan. 12, 2009, 9:58 p.m.

yes actually. I suggested all of them to the teacher.
It al has to wait untill next week though because of exams… shit.

It is the moments in between disaster that we must find joy and meaning to life.

I can mud bog farther, its s chevy

Jan. 12, 2009, 11:22 p.m.

Ok, for the love of god, go to wallmart or NAPA or wherever the fuck you buy car related shit in texas and buy the Haynes manual that applies to your vehicle.

http://www.haynes.com/site.map/section/vehicles/make/Isuzu

http://www.haynes.com/dealers

In this book there will be a troubleshooting section at the back. Read it and do what it says…

that is the most reatrded thing ever even a retarded would say thats retarded

Jan. 12, 2009, 11:43 p.m.

This has happened to both of my vehicles.

1st trucks problem: fuel pump was on its way out, so I replaced it. 2 weeks later it was gutless and ran like crap. swapped out the fuel filter and it ran like a top. turns out my tank was rusted on this inside(thats what happens when a truck sits in the backyard for 2 years). I had to replace the $5 fuel filter every month or so to keep it running smooth.

2nd trucks problem. O2 sensor. . . . I drive a Pathfinder so a new one would have cost me nearly $200 if I had to pay full price. once I swapped a new one in there I got about 100km more out of a tank of gas t'boot.

there are so many reasons this can be happening and I don't feel like reading 4 pages to find out if you know what the problem is or not yet.

I do have one thing to say though, how the fuck do you claim to know how to replace all of these parts and say you know what a distributer cap is but you don't know what a rotor is? and I'm not talking about a brake rotor.

Jan. 12, 2009, 11:58 p.m.

OK, I waded thru 4 pages convinced someone must have already suggested just CHECKING the spark plugs even if replacements aren't on hand. I agree with all the dizzy re and re tips etc/check timing.

But he seems hamstrung, do you have a socket/wrench to pull a sparkplug?? Run it, I assume it'll run very poorly…..get it to run even worse if some throttle does that…..shut it right off and pull a spark plug……does it stink like fuel/look wet or is it dry and dusty looking??

checking plugs and timing and vaccuum are all pretty much freebies, other items can be used to check for vaccuum (propane) but given your questions I'd not recommend you use propane as your test method:)

Good luck/let us know.

Jan. 13, 2009, midnight

PS, check all plugs/maintain their order and pull and inspect wires at same time (maintain wire order!! do one re and re at a time if you like to ensure no mixup/find a diagram online so you can confirm wires are on in correct sequence now…that's a hella dumb one many have driven around without being diagnosed)

Jan. 13, 2009, 7:42 a.m.

Ok, for the love of god, go to wallmart or NAPA or wherever the fuck you buy car related shit in texas and buy the Haynes manual that applies to your vehicle.

http://www.haynes.com/site.map/section/vehicles/make/Isuzu

http://www.haynes.com/dealers

In this book there will be a troubleshooting section at the back. Read it and do what it says…

/thread

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons