Safety footwear standards. Link?

April 5, 2015, 10:46 p.m.

I want to know exactly what the requirement is for driving indoor forklifts and reach trucks. Worksafe website just tells me that the employer needs to determine what level of safety footwear is required and then gives me the ratings, symbols and such. I can't seem to find the answer to what the requirement actually is for these machines though, or any machine for that matter. Does anyone know how to find the answer? I thought the forklift manufacturer would include it in the manual or online but so far no luck. Having said that I have not seen any shoes lower than a grade 1 toe cap although there are three grades.

thanks for any help

April 5, 2015, 11:14 p.m.

I want to know exactly what the requirement is for driving indoor forklifts and reach trucks. Worksafe website just tells me that the employer needs to determine what level of safety footwear is required and then gives me the ratings, symbols and such. I can't seem to find the answer to what the requirement actually is for these machines though, or any machine for that matter. Does anyone know how to find the answer? I thought the forklift manufacturer would include it in the manual or online but so far no luck. Having said that I have not seen any shoes lower than a grade 1 toe cap although there are three grades.

thanks for any help

You can run them barefoot. Or even with socks on. But if you're at work and in doubt, wcb would very much like you to wear footwear with the green csa triangle on it.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

April 5, 2015, 11:22 p.m.

Nope, you'll have to buy CSA Standard Z195-09 "Protective Footwear" to find out.

Or get a green CSA triangle shoe.

April 5, 2015, 11:25 p.m.

However, this maneuver requires red triangle shoes.

April 6, 2015, 7:11 a.m.

thanks for any help

Are you an engineer, by chance?

April 6, 2015, 7:54 a.m.

^^^

Well, that was unnecessary.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

April 6, 2015, 7:56 a.m.

Haha…nothing against engineers, in fact some of my friends are engineers.

However most people would just go to the store and buy a pair of work boots and be done with it…rather than looking up the equipment manufacturer manual

April 6, 2015, 8:07 a.m.

Ask this guy

http://bcforkliftsafety.com/

Got my forklift training from him last month. Ken is a top notch dude!

April 6, 2015, 8:23 a.m.

Are you an engineer, by chance?

It's for JHSC. There is a debate on strap-on toe caps. I need to prove to management we can't use them for this purpose.

Not an engineer.

April 6, 2015, 8:42 a.m.

Strap on toe caps are a tripping hazard and no one will wear them. We have them for visitors. They are clown shoes and unsafe because no one will want to wear them.

But you knew that already.

April 6, 2015, 8:46 a.m.

And we use slip on rubber booty style toe caps, not strap on ones.

Still clown shoes

April 6, 2015, 8:49 a.m.

Get a set of toe caps and have the boss spend a day in them.

April 6, 2015, 9:18 a.m.

with CSA approved safety shoes and boots in 50 variations and styles there should be no need for slip on toecaps unless they are some banker type bigwigs in suits and their $500++ shoes .

#northsidetrailbuilders

April 6, 2015, 11:32 a.m.

Strap on toe caps are a tripping hazard and no one will wear them. We have them for visitors. They are clown shoes and unsafe because no one will want to wear them.

But you knew that already.

They want to wear them, that's the problem.

April 6, 2015, 12:11 p.m.

They want to wear them, that's the problem.

Have they actually tried them?

Awful to walk in, look ridiculous (I think Sven summed that up), and they'll scuff their Armani shoes.

There are numerous dressier leather shoe options with steel toes if they are trying to match their suits/dress their pay grade.

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather