rwd trucks

April 2, 2015, 9:19 p.m.

I'm considering getting a "compact" pick up truck along the lines of a Ranger/Taco since I've always had a thing for them. It would be mostly for recreational activities as I don't drive on a regular basis anymore. Are the rwd version pretty useless for exploring logging roads and such? I have some experience with rwd vehicles but they were relatively balanced sporty cars.

April 2, 2015, 9:29 p.m.

Hang a winch on the front you'll be fine.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

April 2, 2015, 9:37 p.m.

Had a 2wd Mazda B3000 (same as Ranger)… Used to shuttle all over the place in the Okanagan when I lived there, and Squamish and Fraser Valley (Vedder Mtn road is gnar and used to make it up that no problem). The truck was great, only got rid of it recently because it had issues.

Be aware they aren't great on gas. Last summer when gas was around $1.50, I was spending between $300 - $400 a month on gas….

April 2, 2015, 9:54 p.m.

winch and a posi will get you alot of places ,

ground clearance helps as well my Taco is a Prerunner(2wd) model that i lifted 3" in the front and 1.5" in the rear , its on 31",s as well , when compared to my 02 Dakota it,s night and day off road

#northsidetrailbuilders

April 2, 2015, 11:18 p.m.

RWD is fine for maintained, active, logging roads. You will see all sorts of vehicles way in the outback, little hatchbacks, minivans, etc. I think ground clearance is likely more important than 4WD, plus winch for the odd time you do get yourself stuck.

April 2, 2015, 11:36 p.m.

I have a b2600 and use 4x4 pretty often. Snow, steeper and rougher fire roads, shuttling, mud, sand. Could probably get by without it but would have to be a lot more careful I think. IMO if the point is exploring and recreation for your truck I'd go 4x4

April 3, 2015, 7:19 a.m.

depend where you live i guess but 4x4 is nice to have, ime the 4x4 ranger is good, they are cheaper than the holy grail of small pu's the toyota and reliable

April 3, 2015, 8:14 a.m.

Ditto on the gas thing. After 5 GTIs I bought a 4 banger RWD Gmc s10 to make throwing bikes in the back easier. It was slow, terrible on gas and useless on logging roads. Then I got a RWD 6 cylinder ranger with a crew cab. Way more roomy and more power than my s10 but even worse on gas. The kicker? I've never gotten either truck anywhere that I didnt get one of my GTIs. I rally raced GTIs for years and with proper suspension and wheels they will go anywhere a RWD truck will go and they will do it faster with half the gas. So needless to say I'm back to a VW. I immediately cut my gas bill by $150 per month doing so. I'll get another truck in the future but I wouldnt waste my time again with a light RWD. Unless you are just driving it around the city and you need the payload space they are only really good for light shuttle duty.

Bonus with a VW over a ranger is no one asks you to help move things.

April 3, 2015, 8:38 a.m.

I've never gotten either truck anywhere that I didnt get one of my GTIs. I rally raced GTIs for years and with proper suspension and wheels they will go anywhere a RWD truck will go and they will do it faster with half the gas. ..[/QUOTE

duno about the gti but the tdi had 4" of clearance with a cast aluminium oil pan that cracks easily, I have ground out on well maintained dirt roads and driveway crowns, the 1st thing one should do upon buying a tdi is put on an aftermarket skid plate even if you do stay off shitty roads

you can always manage where you drive without 4x4, nowdays every truck has 4x4 up here but one of my ski buds tells me nobody up here had 4x4 40 yrs ago and the ski hill rd once a week … chains/shovels and lots of people to push

I don't think you save much MPG on a small truck without 4x4 cuz you gotta move a lot of weight with or without and if you don't drive much … so what

April 3, 2015, 9 a.m.

Go for the Tacoma Pre runner. Comes with a rear locker and will last forever

April 3, 2015, 10:16 a.m.

I had a ranger 4x4 - lifted, posi, blah blah… it was a terrible 4x4 compared to my Toy (actual wheeling up trails and gnarl) It was, however, a much nicer vehicle for exploring FSR - Had more power and Alberta gears - great for high speed and covering lots of backroad mileage - seldom locked the hubs.

VW are awesome. I've never felt limited by access with a dub. Shuttled mount Sale in Revy with a Mk2 - shuttled Sumas countlees times at extreme speeds - so fun! Mk1's and 2's FTW

April 3, 2015, 10:51 a.m.

Seriously guys, if you're gunna talk about fuel mileage don't say "Oh I spent 400 bucks a month driving this truck." that's useless information.
say things like my truck uses 10 liters per 100 KM the way I drive it.
that's an exact numerical value that's easily comparable.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

April 3, 2015, 11:04 a.m.

Get a brick for the skinny pedal!

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

April 3, 2015, 11:24 a.m.

Mk2 have a tin oil pan. Never cracked one just switch them when they get to dented up. I did crack a cast alumunum oil pan on a chevy cobalt on a well maintained logging road. Catastrophic. Our rally car was a 1987 16v gti with a skid plate and corrado vr6 suspension that lifted the car about 1". A fantastic ghetto mod. Our current rally car is an STI with an aluminum skid plate and adjustable coil overs. Far less ghetto but way more expensive and it sucks on gas. :P

April 3, 2015, 11:41 a.m.

Just out of curiosity XxxEr did you ever try switching to the hybrid aluminum metal oil pan that the tuners use when they lower newer VWs?