Russia

Feb. 25, 2022, 3:43 p.m.

Fuck me the Ukranians are brave. 

From what little reliable info is available the fighting is fierce and back and forth. Areas will be taken by the Russians then lost then retaken again. Hundreds killed on both sides. 

How does Putin expect to establish any kind of lasting peace after victory?  Best case scenario for him is just getting stuck in another protracted occupation dealing with endless attacks from western supported guerilla insurgents. 

Also watching Zelinsky going full on Churchill telling his citizens to fight back in any way they can, including homemade petrol bombs..it hardly seems real. 

It's all so senseless and horrible. Makes me sad and disgusted and also very concerned that this could easily escalate into something much bigger and worse.

Feb. 25, 2022, 4:34 p.m.

https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2022/2/24/ukraine-crisis-hundreds-detained-in-anti-war-protests-in-russia

There's strong opposition to the invasion from Russians.

Feb. 25, 2022, 4:47 p.m.

A question I have for the Tungstens and the shoguns. If all this is a result of nato encroachment trying to provoke a world war...where the fuck are they?

As far as I can see the Ukranians are taking on the bear by themselves and are not about to back down. As much as I hate the glorification of war time heroics I am extremely moved by how hard they're fighting. There's a cultural memory at play here that is difficult for us to comprehend.

This is what standing up to actual tyranny looks like.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/russian-offensive-unexpectedly-slowed-fierce-ukrainian-resistance-rcna17703

Last edited by: Fast-Orange on Feb. 25, 2022, 4:50 p.m., edited 3 times in total.
Feb. 25, 2022, 6:32 p.m.

I think if nato stands up Putin's gunna drop some nukes. Cause like kinda seems like a back against the wall mind of end game this plan to work out..

Feb. 25, 2022, 7:28 p.m.

Posted by: Fast-Orange

As far as I can see the Ukranians are taking on the bear by themselves and are not about to back down. As much as I hate the glorification of war time heroics I am extremely moved by how hard they're fighting. There's a cultural memory at play here that is difficult for us to comprehend.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/25/world/europe/kharkiv-ukraine-military.html

Even as the artillery barrages intensified, not everyone was ready to hide. Walking with intention toward the source of the artillery booms on the outskirts of Kharkiv was Roman Balakelyev, dressed in camouflage, a double-barreled shotgun slung over his shoulder.

“I live here, this is my home. I’m going to defend it,” said Mr. Balakelyev, who also pulled out a large knife he had strapped to his back as if to show it off. “I don’t think the Russians understand me like I understand them.”

A short while later, Mr. Balakelyev reached the edge of the city, where the Ukrainian troops were huddled around the abandoned Russian troop transports. They watched as he passed. No one moved to stop him. One soldier uttered: “Intent on victory.”

Mr. Balakelyev, his gaze fixed and his shotgun ready, headed down the road in the direction of the booms and a tall billboard that read: “Protect the future: UKRAINE-NATO-EUROPE.”

Feb. 25, 2022, 9:11 p.m.

Posted by: Schnickelfritz

I think this could signal the end of the Putin kleptocracy.

If this forum software wasn't shit, I'd also quote Hepcat.  I haven't slept well at all since this started. 

I hope this is darkest-before-dawn type shit.

All that said, if you are a team member of any incumbent provincial or federal political party, please point out their reluctance to implement an iron-clad beneficial ownership registry makes them complicit with the likes of Bone-Saw and Putin and all other bad actors, and any sanctions they later implement are bullshit window dressing.

Feb. 26, 2022, 11:02 a.m.

Fuck me the Ukranians are brave.

Fuck me the Ukrainians are stupid.

So Zelensky mandates arming 18-60 yr olds who may or may not have any military experience in a cynical PR ploy to lure other govts. into the fight. Lambs to the slaughter. Encourages civilians of all stripes to throw Molotov cocktails, instantly negating their non-combatant status and sealing their fate. Dude's a real comedian. Oh wait.....

nato encroachment trying to provoke a world war...where the fuck are they?

Ukraine is not part of NATO thus not protected by Article 5. Plus not all NATO members are onboard with this obvious ploy to damage Russia. Turkey and the Czechs for example.

I don't think the Russian economy can withstand the kind of sanctions that are coming his way

That's a real knee slapper! Cuba, Iran, Venezuala, Nicaragua...etc etc.

Know why they haven't, at least as of last night, haven't kicked Russia off of SWIFT? Because it will turbo charge Russia's and China's efforts to replace it (they already started the process) with an alternative which every other nation on earth can then use to evade the economic levers the "west" uses to control and suppress them.

AND a long protracted conflict

Not gonna' happen. 'cause, the lessons of Afghanistan and overwhelming military superiority.

Can't see any honor in laying down your life when your country's conflict is merely the weaponization of amerikkka's foreign policy.

I know, by your propensity to pile on at these forums, you all are resistent to ideas outside the mainstream narrative but comments below by ....

SCOTT RITTER is a former US Marine Corps Intelligence Officer whose service over a 20-plus-year career included tours of duty in the former Soviet Union implementing arms control agreements, and later as a Chief Weapons Inspector with the UN in Iraq from 1991-98.

....are revealing. Starts at 35:00 of vid.

https://consortiumnews.com/2022/02/25/watch-cn-live-russia-hits-back/

Jesus syncro, you like an old woman. Stop nagging me. I have, at various times in this thread. Go look.

Red, Couch Surfer..... blow me.

https://worldbeyondwar.org/ukraine-and-the-myth-of-war/

And because it's Black History month...

https://blackagendareport.com/why-russian-federation-recognized-independence-movements-donbas

Last edited by: tungsten on Feb. 26, 2022, 11:30 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Feb. 26, 2022, 11:50 a.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Jesus syncro, you like an old woman. Stop nagging me. I have, at various times in this thread. Go look.

My questions were in specific reference to your linked article and the quote from it.

Feb. 26, 2022, 12:09 p.m.

Ukraine is not part of NATO thus not protected by Article 5. Plus not all NATO members are onboard with this obvious ploy to damage Russia. Turkey and the Czechs for example.

Putin’s invasion of the Ukraine, a free Sovereign nation, is an obvious ploy to damage Russia?

Got it.

Last edited by: Couch_Surfer on Feb. 26, 2022, 12:09 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 26, 2022, 2:17 p.m.

the same czechs that are supplying ukraine with weapons and munition?

Feb. 26, 2022, 3:13 p.m.

Time to de-Nazify Ukraine, who's leader happens to be Jewish...

Feb. 26, 2022, 4:31 p.m.

Fuck me the Ukrainians are stupid.

So Zelensky mandates arming 18-60 yr olds who may or may not have any military experience in a cynical PR ploy to lure other govts. into the fight. Lambs to the slaughter. Encourages civilians of all stripes to throw Molotov cocktails, instantly negating their non-combatant status and sealing their fate.

As I understand it, the mandate is that fighting age men can't leave the country, and they are being asked to volunteer, but it isn't required (yet) for them to fight.  It seems like Ukrainians fully understand the  potential consequences, and see it as the price of protecting their homes and country.

Are civilians going to help the armed forces stop Russia? Probably not if they launch a full scale aerial and/or artillery attack, or manage to establish supply lines to support more tanks, but for as long as it's street fighting, home team gets the advantage, I think, and at least slows them down.  You'd think the Russians would have remembered that lesson from Afghanistan.

Feb. 26, 2022, 5:09 p.m.

Tungsten seems to think the Russians are going to be the first to pacify an unruly populace despite the fact they haven't even managed to beat their army yet. 

I'm pretty sure for most of them it comes down to little more than "fuck you I live here"

Feb. 26, 2022, 7:53 p.m.

They’re being kicked out of SWIFT actually.

Feb. 26, 2022, 7:55 p.m.

I'm pretty sure for most of them it comes down to little more than "fuck you I live here"

With as substantial helping of “I remember Holodomor” to keep them motivated.