Russia

Aug. 21, 2020, 7:43 p.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

tungsten, it's fucking awesome how you defend the richest man in the world.

Not defending Putin one bit. Just pointing out Russia has the right to defend its own national interests. You'll never read that in the western press.

Last edited by: tungsten on Aug. 21, 2020, 7:49 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 21, 2020, 7:48 p.m.

You keep being you you fucking random bastard.

Don't let history leave you in the dust, RM.

Former US Allies Britain, France, Germany join Russia and China in Forcefully Rejecting Trump Iran Sanctions

https://www.juancole.com/2020/08/forcefully-rejecting-sanctions.html

Aug. 22, 2020, 12:20 a.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Not defending Putin one bit. Just pointing out Russia has the right to defend its own national interests. You'll never read that in the western press.

You 100% are.  The richest man in the world has you licking his fucking boots.

https://boingboing.net/2020/08/21/comatose-alexei-navalny-loaded.html

Aug. 22, 2020, 11:41 a.m.

You 100% are.  The richest man in the world has you licking his fucking boots.

https://boingboing.net/2020/08/21/comatose-alexei-navalny-loaded.html

100% you on your knees rimming Gina Haspel.

Aug. 24, 2020, 10:36 a.m.

So why is this justification for Putin but not America or Canada?  Defending national interests outside of their borders have been the justification for pretty much every awful thing America has ever done.  Russia would be better and stronger if they could get back territory that is now a bunch of sovereign nations?  Was taking Crimea in their national interests?  Attacking Georgia?  Using propaganda to meddle in democracies?  It is an easy argument for them to make.

I get that you are not on our team here, but at the very least you should recognize what Putin and Xi's true intentions are.  IMO, they are worse offenders and they need to be confronted for what they are doing.

Aug. 24, 2020, 12:28 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

So why is this justification for Putin but not America or Canada? Defending national interests outside of their borders have been the justification for pretty much every awful thing America has ever done. Russia would be better and stronger if they could get back territory that is now a bunch of sovereign nations? Was taking Crimea in their national interests? Attacking Georgia? Using propaganda to meddle in democracies? It is an easy argument for them to make.

I get that you are not on our team here, but at the very least you should recognize what Putin and Xi's true intentions are. IMO, they are worse offenders and they need to be confronted for what they are doing.

Absolutely actions they took in Georgia/Crimea were in their national interests but even then they didn't move on it until goaded by the west.

Meddle democracies? ffs amerikkka does that 24/7/365 around the world including in Canada wakey wakey!

By your way of thinking, you are implying JFK was out of line challenging them during the Cuban missile crises.

But don't take it from me, consult an expert....

Gary Leupp who is Professor of History at Tufts University, and holds a secondary appointment in the Department of Religion.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2015/12/25/nato-seeking-russias-destruction-since-1949/

Last edited by: tungsten on Aug. 24, 2020, 12:30 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 24, 2020, 3:21 p.m.

So why is this justification for Putin but not America or Canada? Defending national interests outside of their borders have been the justification for pretty much every awful thing America has ever done. Russia would be better and stronger if they could get back territory that is now a bunch of sovereign nations? Was taking Crimea in their national interests? Attacking Georgia? Using propaganda to meddle in democracies? It is an easy argument for them to make.

I get that you are not on our team here, but at the very least you should recognize what Putin and Xi's true intentions are. IMO, they are worse offenders and they need to be confronted for what they are doing.

Absolutely actions they took in Georgia/Crimea were in their national interests but even then they didn't move on it until goaded by the west.

Meddle democracies? ffs amerikkka does that 24/7/365 around the world including in Canada wakey wakey!

By your way of thinking, you are implying JFK was out of line challenging them during the Cuban missile crises.

But don't take it from me, consult an expert....

Gary Leupp who is Professor of History at Tufts University, and holds a secondary appointment in the Department of Religion.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2015/12/25/nato-seeking-russias-destruction-since-1949/

He teaches Japanese history.  Apparently we have different definitions of an expert.

My way of thinking is that the democratic way of life that the west has cultivated around the world is superior to the authoritarian regimes of China or Russia and anything they are peddling.  I am on the team of democracy and I am not so naive as to think we will ever live on a planet without a power structure between nations, so I would rather the West and NATO continue to influence emerging democracies because if we don't another power will move in.  I am also not naive to think that meddling will ever stop, but it is our job to make sure our democracies stay strong.  Have I ever suggested we do anything to Putin?  NO, I am saying we need to stop what he is doing to us.  It is up to Russia to stop western influence, and they have been working on that since Stalin.  The West has built a ring around Russia because nobody wants to live in their shitty world and come to us willingly.

In the history of the last 75 years, the West has worked to bring countries into our way of thinking and it has gone really well for Japan, Germany, and South Korea to name a few.  Name one country that can say Russia/USSR or China has helped the in the same way while under their influence.  

The truth is that Russia is outmatched and will eventually lose out to China.  The future will be China v The West and there is no in-between as far as I can see.

Aug. 25, 2020, 12:04 a.m.

democratic way of life that the west has cultivated around the world

omfg!... capitalists everwhere are rotfltao.

The West has built a ring around Russia because

they haven't yet figured out a way to make $ that isn't based on the military-industrial-congressional complex

https://www.independent.org/publications/article.asp?id=141

Last edited by: tungsten on Aug. 25, 2020, 12:10 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 25, 2020, 10:09 a.m.

I won't argue that the power of the military-industrial complex isn't out of control, but your thinking is so black/white that you present false dichotomies as truth.  The West won the culture war and that pisses Russia and China off because countries want to join us without invasions or re-education.  That is really all they have in common.  People in countries around the world want to live the life you have but do nothing but bitch about.  They don't want to live under authoritarian rule unless they benefit from the spoils.  That is in the playbook of every one of these leaders from Xi to Maduro to Trump.  They have a chosen group within their people and they screw over the rest.  The trick is making sure there are enough people within the chosen group for the leader to hang on to power, but not so many people that they are too costly for a corrupt government to manage and keep pacified.

March 22, 2021, 5:44 p.m.

“Judgments are not intended to imply that we have proof that shows something to be a fact.”

https://scheerpost.com/2021/03/20/a-brief-list-of-official-russia-claims-that-proved-to-be-bogus/

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

March 30, 2021, 7:55 p.m.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

March 31, 2021, 9:05 a.m.

The best part of the Panama Canal fiasco was the memes.  

March 31, 2021, 4:41 p.m.

Shirley, you can't be serious. The Russian govt and Putin look out for their own personal interests, it has nothing to do with the interests of the Russian people.

April 1, 2021, 9:04 p.m.

The best part of the Panama Canal fiasco was the memes.  

"Panama" canal?

April 3, 2021, 11:17 a.m.

Random but thats the exact same type of eagle logo that was in the Jill Biden pic I posted in the new prez thread...