rossland/trail/castlegar - the kootenays - for living

Dec. 24, 2016, 4:53 p.m.

Kamloops has lots of forested areas if you're willing to live 15 minutes out of the city center. The best thing about the interior forests though, is that you can easily explore through them and not feel like you're trapped like in a coastal rainforest.

Yeah that brown season means 6 months with hardly any rain. Sunny and hot, plus 4 distinct seasons. So shitty.

Dec. 24, 2016, 4:59 p.m.

I did 10 yrs in peeg which was a good thing for work and outdoor pursuits

and the last 10 in smithers

It sucks here…everyone should stay far far away.

Pastor of Muppets

Dec. 24, 2016, 5:58 p.m.

no ferries my parents are in Egmont and they curse the ferry service so the Island is out 100% SSC maybe if they do the road around that would open that up .

Vernon , will look into that area as well thanks for the suggestion .

If you live and work on the island, you rarely need to use the ferries. Fantastic riding, coastal climate, slower pace of life - its worth considering. Real estate isnt crazy cheap but its not crazy vancouver either.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Dec. 24, 2016, 6:10 p.m.

that,s my impression as well from what I have seen and heard if the area is similar to Ashcroft and Cache Creek , it,s too desertish for my us .

If you like the outdoors, it's a great place. And less than an hour away the are plenty of green areas.

A friend just sold his place in Abbotsford and bought a home in Merritt. 4500 square foot newish, beautiful home on 150 acres for $900K.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Dec. 24, 2016, 6:29 p.m.

Nothing like gettin back to the basics in your 4500 sq ft house

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Dec. 24, 2016, 8:58 p.m.

Nothing like gettin back to the basics in your 4500 sq ft house

yeah exactly we,re thinking 1000sqft max with wood heat and solar power , living more off the land and off the grid and being pretty much debt free .

that being said I,d love a 4500sqft shop :)

#northsidetrailbuilders

Dec. 24, 2016, 9:32 p.m.

Island sucks. Full of drunks who like camping cruising logging roads and weed.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Oct. 19, 2021, 2:44 p.m.

How's the Castlegar/Trail/Rossland and surrounding area now for all the people that moved into the area a half decade now?

It's been a while since I've been in the area. Might explore it further this winter.  

There's a sledding area at the top of Paulsen Pass if IIRC?

Oct. 19, 2021, 6:49 p.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

How's the Castlegar/Trail/Rossland and surrounding area now for all the people that moved into the area a half decade now?

It's been a while since I've been in the area. Might explore it further this winter.  

There's a sledding area at the top of Paulsen Pass if IIRC?

I lived there for two years. If you love it and never want to be anywhere else, it is the best. The riding and skiing and every other outdoor pursuit is exceptional. Best in bc hands down imo. Roseland/trail I think has the easiest community to join. A lot of people are from somewhere else and I found everyone fairly welcoming. Castlegar didn't seem welcoming but I never lived or spent a significant amount of time there. Nelson is Nelson. Lots love it. I loved some parts of living there but it wasn't where I wanted to spend the rest of my life and getting in and out is impossible for about 6 months of the year. 

In short, it is quite an isolated feeling place to live but if you want to be isolated there, you will be in heaven.

Oct. 19, 2021, 8:18 p.m.

this thread is 5 yrs old, if you didnt move here then, its too late now,

Oct. 19, 2021, 8:37 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

this thread is 5 yrs old, if you didnt move here then, its too late now,

I wouldn't say that, it really depends on one's situtaiton. A little while back I saw what was almost the perfect property in Nelson. Price was doable but a tad high considering for what I want to pay and of course now I'm much closer to early retirement. There was even a job available with the RDCK at the time I could have had, but it wasn't benefitted and no guarantee of hours. There are more than enough things here keeping me happy so I have no problem being patient waiting for what I think is the right opportunity.

Oct. 20, 2021, 6:55 a.m.

Assuming one would be moving from the lower mainland some where to take advantage of cheaper RE the prices they have leaped/gone up pretty much everywhere in 5 years

So for younger folks with no equity the time to move was before that , I supose the question is what is the differential between what you own and what you can buy for that money ?

I know guys who got into the local RE literaly with sketchy credit & zero $ which I don't think is possible now

Oct. 20, 2021, 7:18 a.m.

Lol worked for me, I bought my place with 7500 RRSPs that my company contributed to me and 7500 first time home buyers program ( zero net cost to me ) and now it looks like I'll be up 200 to 250k $$ when I sell.. pretty good return on 0 dollars and ~5 years time

Last edited by: Adam-West on Oct. 20, 2021, 7:19 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 20, 2021, 10:27 a.m.

yup, I got a buddy who was the epitome of the stoned surfer he had a drivers license and an ATM bank card otherwise zero, acosted by a bank person walking thru the airport he signs up for a visa card which he forgets about, the card establishes a credit rating and the bank gives him an RE loan based on the credit history of having the credit card

Its a sellers market, prices are stupid up, so now who qualifies ?

There isnt even anywhere in town to rent

I know local bro's who got in with nothing  and SO its just got harder

Last edited by: XXX_er on Oct. 20, 2021, 10:28 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 21, 2021, 12:20 a.m.

I'm getting over the endless traffic jams/commutes to and from almost everywhere.