rossland/trail/castlegar - the kootenays - for living

Oct. 12, 2016, 3:10 p.m.

Mark, a certain former NSMBA Director now lives and works in Rossland and knows a lot about the lead impacts from the smelter in Trial. There are definitely concerns over metals, such as lead in soil, particularly for kids, in certain, but not all areas of Trail.

I'm sure he could clue you in. If you don't already know him or how to contact him let me know and I will PM you details.

Ian

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

Oct. 13, 2016, 5:58 a.m.

We were in that rut in 2005, then made a decision one day to gtfo of North Van and move to the Kamloops. Best move ever. Beautiful landscapes, easily accessible back country, zero crowds, countless lakes 15 minutes from the city in either direction, and so on. Every time I go back to NV, I am reminded of why we left.

Did the same in 2007. Best thing we ever did. Hard to leave after 34 years and with kids, but looking back, ZERO regrets.

ESC 4 Life.

I create feelings in people that they themselves don't understand.

"Perhaps it was the Noid who should have avoided me." - Mayor West

Oct. 13, 2016, 11:53 a.m.

well besides my city job and db pension (which is hard to walk away from).

Mark, that there is the biggest challenge one faces when considering this. For the majority we have been told to build this essentially comfortable life with all that. And we become comfortable being in the at existence. And when we think of walking away from that comfortable lifestyle to head some where new with none of that. It is easy to not bother.

Here's what I would do, wait till the end of the winter next year. Load up your pick up with the bike and stuff. And visit the 3 towns you are considering. Stay a couple of weeks in each and see what's up. Which you like better. Then make the choice and go for it.

Jobs and such will take care of themselves in the long term,

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Oct. 17, 2016, 1 p.m.

leaving Vancouver is huge but so is a DB pension

Sorry, DB?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Oct. 17, 2016, 1:09 p.m.

Sorry, DB?

defined benefits pension - so basically i'm guaranteed a pension that pays me about 70% of my wages averaged over my working career.

the beauty of a well managed DB pension plan is that your effective return on "investment" is about 300%. the municipal pension plan is very well mananged and it's inputs and growth exceed what the required payouts are so there is no concern for the future of the plan going bust.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Oct. 17, 2016, 1:16 p.m.

Oh yeah, duh. lol….I got one of those too but didn't start it until late in life so in Vancouver I stuck.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Oct. 17, 2016, 3:50 p.m.

Yeah a db pension is like being a millionaire one month at a time, mine isn't as good as synchro's but I've alredy collected several hundred grand just for sticking around 30 yrs

I was golden at 49

I will collect more in pension than I did in salary if the booze or an avalanche doesnt get me and I live to 90+

Oct. 17, 2016, 3:59 p.m.

also depends how long Splinky has to stick it out to collect his 70%

depends on years served and age.

Oct. 17, 2016, 11:30 p.m.

Or cut 'n run early to play while you can at a high level and then part time work to supplement pension while old age whittles you down.

Oct. 19, 2016, 8:51 a.m.

This. What would you get if you bailed now?

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Oct. 19, 2016, 10:08 a.m.

DB pensions usually have some kind of formula where you add your age to years of service and it needs to = THE number for either full or early pension.

We didn't have a number at IBM, you were just golden after 30 yrs, so if you joined right after HS that could be 48

Oct. 19, 2016, 12:05 p.m.

DB pensions usually have some kind of formula where you add your age to years of service and it needs to = THE number for either full or early pension.

We didn't have a number at IBM, you were just golden after 30 yrs, so if you joined right after HS that could be 48

you worked for big blue?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Oct. 19, 2016, 12:09 p.m.

Or cut 'n run early to play while you can at a high level and then part time work to supplement pension while old age whittles you down.

i've taken pretty good care of myself so there are a lot of miles left on the odometer.

This. What would you get if you bailed now?

i'll have to check but i'm pretty sure i'm a couple years from early retirement status. what i have been looking for are municipal job postings in these areas as that way i could transfer the pension.

Ellen Langer

Oct. 19, 2016, 12:44 p.m.

you worked for big blue?

Ya they will hire anybody

or at least they would in 1975

Non-contributory pension is 40ish% and health benifits , the bridge to age 65 brings it up to 50% which is pretty livable, add some side gigs, life can be pretty good if the living is easy and your house doesn't cost you a million bucks.

the guys selling you investments say you need 70% of salary to live but they have a vested interest in selling you investments eh?

Oct. 19, 2016, 1:45 p.m.

If you can live small town and still make decent money I would go for it. Getting that far from Van isn't really an option for me, but I have a lot of friends that made a similar move and it worked out really well for them. I have some that did the opposite as well since small town life has it's down sides, but if the life style is what you are looking for go east young man.