Rooted android phones.

Nov. 30, 2011, 10:22 p.m.

my contract is up in January so….
also, as an amateur developer, I don't need the newest Android, I need the most common android, ie 2.3.x

that and I don't know when ICS devices will start coming to Canada

The Galaxy Nexus with ICS on board is coming to Canada within the next month or two.

via Virgin Mobile and Bell and very likely Rogers and Telus shortly after.

I will be getting one shortly after that. :)

Nov. 30, 2011, 10:36 p.m.

The Galaxy Nexus with ICS on board is coming to Canada within the next month or two.

A week from today, from Bell [HTML_REMOVED] Virgin

Nov. 30, 2011, 10:44 p.m.

iPhone4

that is the most reatrded thing ever even a retarded would say thats retarded

Nov. 30, 2011, 10:48 p.m.

Soon to have a rooted Transformer Prime :)

Shoots with Nikon D2H
c

Nov. 30, 2011, 11 p.m.

iPhone4

GPABoosters: SFU/UBC course review database
:ukraine:

Youtube clips are about as useful to me as a miniskirt in Iran.

Nov. 30, 2011, 11:22 p.m.

While I think the galaxy s2 is pretty sweet, I don't know if there's really much to gain from avoiding the contract, other than to upgrade soon after. At this point you may as well wait for an ICS device, it's not getting ported to the galaxy s2 very swiftly.

Not formally, but informally it already exists.

I'd root a device for flexibility. For example, Kies blows chunks so having root access allows for a proper backup via applications like Titanium.

Overclocking just hurts an already poor battery life.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Dec. 1, 2011, 12:04 a.m.

Amazon hasn't taken too kindly to people rooting the Fire. They released an automatic update yesterday that removes root access and blocks the Android Market. You can re-root the device after the update, but that's going to be a PITA if Amazon starts pushing out updates on a regular basis.

Dec. 1, 2011, 7:24 a.m.

I'd root a device for flexibility. For example, Kies blows chunks so having root access allows for a proper backup via applications like Titanium.

Juice Defender Ultimate has transformed my SGS2 battery life. i over clock to 1.6 with ondemand governor and still get very good battery.

its basically controls the data transfer aspects of the phone in an extremely intelligent manner based on a bunch of schedules and triggers you set. its easily doubled my battery.

you won't get much out of it if you need constant data for IM or immediate notification of an email or other continually syncing services. For me though it's excellent.

Dec. 1, 2011, 1:02 p.m.

I totally agree. JuiceDefender is the first tool I'd install on an Android phone. I found it cut down on battery usage a lot when the phone is idle. Some of the things it does should be part of the operating system.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Dec. 1, 2011, 2:42 p.m.

I dno what the hell y'all are talkin aboot, but I do know I sometimes get stuck in tree roots when I'm snowboard. I usually get myself outta there and keep riding, other times I get really stuck and frustrated then I'm all like god damn why am I so stuck maybe if I start doing summersaults it'll help get me free.

I once listened to the roots on my phone though.

tommrorow. mom took the van/

Dec. 1, 2011, 3:53 p.m.

It exists but the phone and camera applications are currently on the list of not working for the device mentioned.

Overclocking works for battery life fine when combined with undervolting and a conservative governed.
Max power when needed, but not all the time.

Dec. 1, 2011, 5:04 p.m.

I totally agree. JuiceDefender is the first tool I'd install on an Android phone. I found it cut down on battery usage a lot when the phone is idle. Some of the things it does should be part of the operating system.

I found it not to do that much for my desire HD.. but I turn on and off my 3g when needed never let it run

Shoots with Nikon D2H
c

Dec. 1, 2011, 9:39 p.m.

I found it not to do that much for my desire HD.. but I turn on and off my 3g when needed never let it run

On my Galsxy S, the battery life when idle would would at least double. Stock was 2% to 3% per hour, whereas with JD is was down to 1% per hour.

The app just disables features when the phone is idle. WiFi and 3G can be automatically turned off, and these features consume a fair bit of power.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells

Dec. 2, 2011, 1:30 p.m.

it does a lot more than that, including more involved brightness control and different profiles depending on the time and location.

Dec. 2, 2011, 2:02 p.m.

it does a lot more than that, including more involved brightness control and different profiles depending on the time and location.

Or if you really want control on steroids, get Tasker. Tasker does all these things and a whole bunch more on my phone, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. Certainly not made for the technologically challenged, but if you put some time into it you can do pretty much anything.