Rob Ford (Toronto mayor) kicked from office.

Nov. 26, 2012, 11 a.m.

It's curious that for all the reasons people dislike Ford that it's such a small total that he got ousted. $3k??

To better understand this one has to understand how the city election went down.

The black line is pre amalg Toronto and area. Interestingly all the people I know going orgasmic with joy about this are living in the areas within the black line.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Nov. 26, 2012, 11:03 a.m.

It's curious that for all the reasons people dislike Ford that it's such a small total that he got ousted. $3k??

look at the payola scandal in quebec that is going on, so how much $ was the very 1st impropriety and how did it get to millions in cash paid in envelopes passed in hotel rooms… how did that start ?

the thing IS that suddenly they are in a position of great power … and power corrupts

Nov. 26, 2012, 11:04 a.m.

shouldn't matter how much, he broke the law, willfully, then tried to claim ignorance…screw that shit, we as a country need to stop allowing that type of behaviour from our politicians, we need to demand more and lay down some real consequences for once.

really? did you guys even read the article and understand what he did? it's not like he got a personal benefit from this incident, he was helping out a kids football team.

sure he may not have followed the rules to the letter, but come on, let's have a look at the greater picture here. i think there's enough grey area that this particular incident (the one of him using city letterhead when he was a councillor, not the mayor) shouldn't be the one that ousts him.

i think most of you here would be singing a different tune if this had been mayor walton and he'd been doing some fundraising helping local kids in a mtb race of some sorts.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 26, 2012, 11:04 a.m.

it's people with attitudes such as yours that are holding this country back from real positive progress.

All because I'm not deluded enough to believe that Rob Ford or any politician being ousted in Toronto will actually make improvements? City would be better off ousting unelected management and such.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Nov. 26, 2012, 11:09 a.m.

really? did you guys even read the article and understand what he did? it's not like he got a personal benefit from this incident, he was helping out a kids football team.

sure he may not have followed the rules to the letter, but come on, let's have a look at the greater picture here. i think there's enough grey area that this particular incident (the one of him using city letterhead when he was a councillor, not the mayor) shouldn't be the one that ousts him.

i think most of you here would be singing a different tune if this had been mayor walton and he'd been doing some fundraising helping local kids in a mtb race of some sorts.

what about him using his city paid staff to help coach? where do you draw the line? this guy continually pushes the boundaries of what is acceptable, it's not acceptable, regardless of political affiliation. If it's for such a good cause why does he have to use city resources, which are so scarce according to him that they need to cut back everything, shouldn't it sell itself without TO's money and staff helping him?

Nov. 26, 2012, 11:13 a.m.

Some more insight into what Ford did that brought him down. Even in the initial article I linked, it was clear that it wasn't just use of letterhead.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/1293231--all-torontonians-will-pay-for-rob-ford-s-wilful-blindness-james

"This issue started quite innocently, as do most things with the mayor. When he was a city councillor Rob Ford solicited funds from city hall lobbyists for his private football foundation.

However, integrity commissioner Janet Leiper ruled in 2010 that Ford was wrong to use official letterhead and other city resources to solicit those donations.

Ford ignored six letters from Leiper, pushing her to recommend that city council force the mayor to act. Council voted to make Ford repay the $3,150 he received in donations.

“I provided him with an opportunity to review his response before forwarding it to the complainant. I did this because Councillor Ford had recently received advice from my office that he should not fundraise in this way. This advice was given in December 2009 and again in February 2010, after two prior complaints were made by other people who received Football Foundation letters from the councillor,” Leiper wrote to council in August 2010.

By 2010 Ford was mayor and the new council, under his influence, voted to rescind the earlier council decision. Ford debated the issue at council and voted with the majority to save him from paying the $3,150. A citizen took the mayor to court."

Bottom line is that there is an integrity comissioner to ensure that government functions ethically and correctly. Ford decided to try and work outside of the process and that's a slippery slope. Maybe he'll learn from that.

Nov. 26, 2012, 11:15 a.m.

the thing is that once you get into any city hall is that its ALL politics all the time everywhere and so you gotta play the game which Rob Ford is too arrogant to do

The one place I worked where you could really get your dick stuck in yer zipper metaphoricaly speaking anytime you openned yer mouth was vancover city hall

Nov. 26, 2012, 11:16 a.m.

what about him using his city paid staff to help coach?

i didn't see that in the referenced article, got a link? were they there on paid city time or on their own time?

where do you draw the line? this guy continually pushes the boundaries of what is acceptable, it's not acceptable, regardless of political affiliation. If it's for such a good cause why does he have to use city resources, which are so scarce according to him that they need to cut back everything, shouldn't it sell itself without TO's money and staff helping him?

sometimes the line is easy to see, sometimes not so much. i agree though that wherever that line is he gets close to it a bit too often.

good causes don't always sell themselves, sometimes you have to push boundaries to get people to sit up and take notice.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 26, 2012, 11:19 a.m.

Some more insight into what Ford did that brought him down. Even in the initial article I linked, it was clear that it wasn't just use of letterhead.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/1293231--all-torontonians-will-pay-for-rob-ford-s-wilful-blindness-james

"This issue started quite innocently, as do most things with the mayor. When he was a city councillor Rob Ford solicited funds from city hall lobbyists for his private football foundation.

However, integrity commissioner Janet Leiper ruled in 2010 that Ford was wrong to use official letterhead and other city resources to solicit those donations.

Ford ignored six letters from Leiper, pushing her to recommend that city council force the mayor to act. Council voted to make Ford repay the $3,150 he received in donations.

“I provided him with an opportunity to review his response before forwarding it to the complainant. I did this because Councillor Ford had recently received advice from my office that he should not fundraise in this way. This advice was given in December 2009 and again in February 2010, after two prior complaints were made by other people who received Football Foundation letters from the councillor,” Leiper wrote to council in August 2010. "

Bottom line is that there is an integrity comissioner to ensure that government functions ethically and correctly. Ford decided to try and work outside of the process and that's a slippery slope. Maybe he'll learn from that.

yeah i got that bit from the article. if his ousting was for the same actions after he had been repeatedly chastised then yes, i'd say go ahead and pull the plug. but that wasn't the case here.

Ellen Langer

Nov. 26, 2012, 11:20 a.m.

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/cto/3435527958.html

:lol:

Nov. 26, 2012, 11:21 a.m.

what about him using his city paid staff to help coach? where do you draw the line? this guy continually pushes the boundaries of what is acceptable, it's not acceptable, regardless of political affiliation. If it's for such a good cause why does he have to use city resources, which are so scarce according to him that they need to cut back everything, shouldn't it sell itself without TO's money and staff helping him?

Yet the cities unelected management get away with far more.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/11/25/your-toronto-ems-tax-dollars-at-work

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Nov. 26, 2012, 11:22 a.m.

yeah i got that bit from the article. if his ousting was for the same actions after he had been repeatedly chastised then yes, i'd say go ahead and pull the plug. but that wasn't the case here.

His ousting was for speaking at and participating in the council meeting to determine whether he should repay the 3K. That's clearly forbidden, and for good reason. Ford chose to ignore the conflict of interest process and is paying the price.

Nov. 26, 2012, 11:23 a.m.

i didn't see that in the referenced article, got a link? were they there on paid city time or on their own time?

it's from earlier this fall, but still, this is par for the course for this buffoon.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/toronto-mayor-rob-fords-office-aides-help-run-his-football-teams/article4537899/

One week after Toronto Mayor Rob Ford testified under oath that he no longer uses taxpayer-funded staff and resources for football, fresh evidence has emerged that suggests he continues to do just that.

Mr. Ford appears to have relied on at least two mayor’s office employees and their taxpayer-funded cellphones to help administer the summer football teams he founded after winning Toronto’s top political job.

Nov. 26, 2012, 11:34 a.m.

His ousting was for speaking at and participating in the council meeting to determine whether he should repay the 3K. That's clearly forbidden, and for good reason. Ford chose to ignore the conflict of interest process and is paying the price.

yes right, got that mixed up - please don't oust me for that, it was an innocent mistake!

really though, it's not like his vote was a swing vote - it was 22-12. his vote didn't make a difference in the decision of not to force him to repay.

Ellen Langer

Nov. 26, 2012, 11:44 a.m.

An entertaining view of Rob Ford.

http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/toronto-fired-the-greatest-mayor-of-all-time

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.