ROAD TRIP PLANNING, JASPER, KOOTENAYS, OSOYOOS.

July 5, 2012, 7:37 p.m.

we plan on spending a few days in the Nelson/Sandon area checking out the hippies, old buildings, hiking, etc then a few days in the Osoyoos area hitting up the fruit stands, wine tours cruising the country side on my motor bike.

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.

July 5, 2012, 9:19 p.m.

I'll raise PaulB..

Go from Nelson to Trail/Rossland,and cross the border.(why go to Osoyoos unless you absolutely have to?)
You then follow the Columbia till you get to Highway 20, which you'll take over Sherman Pass, down to Tonasket, then up through Twisp/Winthrop etc, across to Sumas.
Absolute money route, and totally blows Highway 3 away..and is faster, and cheaper (gas prices)

I'll second this. North Cascades Nat'l Park is a nice drive.

July 6, 2012, 10:12 a.m.

There is a road from Kimberly over to Gray Creek that's cool, it saves you from going thru Cranbrook. Its about 80km on gravel. It was smooth when I did it a few years ago.

There is also a logging road from Rettalack to Sandon. We tried last summer but took a wrong turn, ended up on at an old mine and then drove up to the alpine before having to turn around. I would make sure you have a decent size truck if you want to tackle this road. I was in 4Lo a bunch.

The hwy thru Rock Creek is alright, so is the one thru Cherryville to Vernon.

If Arrow lake isn't too high there is an awesome user maintained camp site just south of the Shelter Bay Ferry called Eagle Bay.

July 6, 2012, 10:23 a.m.

There is a road from Kimberly over to Gray Creek that's cool, it saves you from going thru Cranbrook. Its about 80km on gravel. It was smooth when I did it a few years ago.

There is also a logging road from Rettalack to Sandon. We tried last summer but took a wrong turn, ended up on at an old mine and then drove up to the alpine before having to turn around. I would make sure you have a decent size truck if you want to tackle this road. I was in 4Lo a bunch.

The hwy thru Rock Creek is alright, so is the one thru Cherryville to Vernon.

If Arrow lake isn't too high there is an awesome user maintained camp site just south of the Shelter Bay Ferry called Eagle Bay.

A lot of snow up high, unless it's been plowed recently, there is no way grey creek pass will be open.

July 7, 2012, 9:10 a.m.

Have anyone stayed here?

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

July 7, 2012, 11:03 a.m.

yes
many years ago while treeplanting….

This place is in Winlaw which is a fair way away from Sandon (about an hour).
Cabin's are alright (if I remember correctly they have little kitchenettes in them).
This place is by the Slocan river and is buggy!!!!!

Could I suggest renting one of the little cabins at either Nakusp hot springs or Halcyon (although there is no running water in the cabins at Halcyon) and spend the evening soaking the bones…or rent a room at Ainsworth. You can camp too, near Nakusp Hotsprings (and not to many mosquitoes/black flies).

That sucks it looked like a really cool little hippie town to spend some time in. Do the other sites you talked about have showers?

July 7, 2012, 12:31 p.m.

How are the bugs in this area?

July 7, 2012, 11:19 p.m.

bugs in Winlaw are terrible starting around now, I avoid visiting friends up that way this time of the year because it's so bad. This is coming from a guy who has worked in the bush for the past 8 years. Beware.

July 8, 2012, 6:07 a.m.

bugs in Winlaw are terrible starting around now, I avoid visiting friends up that way this time of the year because it's so bad. This is coming from a guy who has worked in the bush for the past 8 years. Beware.

Are bugs a problem in the whole Slocan Valley? Or just Winlaw? I will not be up there untill the last week in August, are the bugs gone by then?

With all the patchouli oil in Wilaw I am suprized that there would be so many bugs. lol

Trip route.

July 8, 2012, 7:11 a.m.

If you do go through rock creek the petro can gas wicked peppered beef jerky. Also give me a shout if your coming through kelowna.

July 8, 2012, 7:24 a.m.

If you do go through rock creek the petro can gas wicked peppered beef jerky. Also give me a shout if your coming through kelowna.

We will be going trough Rock Creek So thanks for the tip. We mite end up in camping in Bear Creek so I will give you a shout. But we are trying to stay down in wine country. Do the Poz's want to do a wine tour? Start them young lol.

July 8, 2012, 8:33 a.m.

Logans Pass Montana

July 8, 2012, 8:34 a.m.

It's too bad you will not be bringing the mountain bikes - the alpine trails all around will be in perfect shape.

On another note - Karibu Cabins will be fine for the August long and there is a restaurant in Winlaw where you could have dinner. But no place to really buy food except at the junction which is south of you by about 1/2 hour. So do your food shopping in Silverton….

As well - if you have the time tubing down the Slocan river is the best thing in the world!!!!
If you have the time to spend the day floating down the river it is well worth the day spent. There is a shuttle service and you can rent tubes at Slocan Park gas station. This is one of my favourtie things to do of all time. We put the beer in a milk crate and place that in a small intertube and tie it to one of the large tubes and viola we can drink all the way down. Or stop at the occasional beach for a rest. Takes about 4-6 hours to float down depending on where you stop.

You are on a motor bike I would just caution you that the highway from the Shelter/ Galena Bay Ferry (you will also want to check the ferry status before leaving Revelstoke because the August long often produces a couple of hour wait at the Ferry - maybe have a plan B as far as where to stay - you may decide to stay the night in Revey and leave first thing in the morning because it is usually in the afternoon the the line up gets bad and the alternate route is gravel) is very curvy [HTML_REMOVED] narrow and is popular route for motorbikes but there is no shoulder for a lot of it and many people in cars/trucks do drive over the center line frequently. It seems like every summer somebody gets smoked on this highway - the chip trucks drive this route on a regular basis and have taken out a few motor bikes over the years. All I am saying is be careful:) take your time and don't be surprised by the shitty drivers.

Awesome tips, thanks again.
Not to sound like a noob but what about the river tubing do you like best? I have never done it? Sound like a good recovery day after a long hike.

I will be driving my Ranger and have my motor bike in my box. I love my motorbike but I don't think I would want to drive that far on it.
We are planning to skip the ferry and take that dirt road and enjoy the drive. I will defiantly keep my eyes peeled for crazy drivers. If you look at my google link dose that time look about right to you? It says 10h. We pland to take it easy and take pictures along the way. So I am thinking 12h drive chillin.

July 8, 2012, 9:48 a.m.

Cedar Creek Cafe in Winlaw is highly recommended, new owners in the last year or two - much better than Sleep is for Sissies Cafe (the other option).

You can get just about all the groceries you'd need without going all the way down to the junction. Slocan Park, which is around 10 minutes south of Winlaw on the highway has everything you'll need, even fresh veggies. Good locally butchered meats to BBQ and most other things you'd need.

July 8, 2012, 10:15 a.m.

Cedar Creek Cafe in Winlaw is highly recommended, new owners in the last year or two - much better than Sleep is for Sissies Cafe (the other option).

You can get just about all the groceries you'd need without going all the way down to the junction. Slocan Park, which is around 10 minutes south of Winlaw on the highway has everything you'll need, even fresh veggies. Good locally butchered meats to BBQ and most other things you'd need.

I look forward to eating lots of hippie food!!!!!!