ROAD TRIP PLANNING, JASPER, KOOTENAYS, OSOYOOS.

July 4, 2012, 1:07 p.m.

I am planning a 6 day road trip from Jasper to Nanaimo. I am going to do the Icefield HWY and then from there I would like to hit Nelson and Osoyoos. I know 6 days is not a lot of time.

Now for my question I am wondering if there are any good backroad "HWY" I can take? I would love to hit a really scenic old HWY. The road less traveled. What is your favorite place to camp and place to see. I am not taking my bike.

Also looking for recommended places to stay and things to do and see.

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.

July 4, 2012, 1:10 p.m.

At kamploops stay on the #1 to cache creek then take the 99 to Lillooet -[HTML_REMOVED] Pemberton -[HTML_REMOVED] whistler

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

July 4, 2012, 2:18 p.m.

you could take 1 through rogers pass and then go south from Revy to Nelson. Maybe take the road (31a?) from New Denver to Kaslo and check out Sandon on the way.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

July 4, 2012, 2:23 p.m.

Take some quality acid. Always makes for a terrific road trip.

DS

"I'm addicted to surfing."

July 4, 2012, 2:33 p.m.

check out Sandon on the way.

Drive up Idaho peak road? Is it a crazy view or is it the town from "The Hills Have Eyes"?

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

July 4, 2012, 4:09 p.m.

6 days?!!! What are you riding your bike?

Ha Ha! Made you look.

July 4, 2012, 4:24 p.m.

Drive up Idaho peak road? Is it a crazy view or is it the town from "The Hills Have Eyes"?

Pics of the view from up there in this post:
http://forums.mtbr.com/6368856-post1.html

There isn't much in Sandon; a museum and an active silver mine.

Check the rest of that thread for other ride ideas in the West Kootenays.

July 4, 2012, 4:57 p.m.

6 days?!!! What are you riding your bike?

Nope your mom.

Pics of the view from up there in this post:
http://forums.mtbr.com/6368856-post1.html

There isn't much in Sandon; a museum and an active silver mine.

Check the rest of that thread for other ride ideas in the West Kootenays.

I love walking around old ghoast towns.

July 4, 2012, 5:49 p.m.

How about from Jasper, find your way to the David Thompson hwy, over to the Forestry trunk road from Nordegg, down to hwy3, then take the Crowsnest over to Nelson. Or if you get tired of the forestry trunk, switch to the Cowboy trail (hwy 22) for awhile.

edit: ive only driven parts of the forestry trunk (like Nordegg to Sundre) so not sure if it all pieces together…but its a nice ride, and you pass Ram Falls which is very cool

July 4, 2012, 6:28 p.m.

How about from Jasper, find your way to the David Thompson hwy, over to the Forestry trunk road from Nordegg, down to hwy3, then take the Crowsnest over to Nelson. Or if you get tired of the forestry trunk, switch to the Cowboy trail (hwy 22) for awhile.

edit: ive only driven parts of the forestry trunk (like Nordegg to Sundre) so not sure if it all pieces together…but its a nice ride, and you pass Ram Falls which is very cool

Can you google map that for me? I I can't find it.

July 5, 2012, 5:12 a.m.

Can you google map that for me? I I can't find it.

here are a couple links i found…some of the time it is called hwy 40, but sometimes not. it is not paved but quite nice, very beautiful.

this is a good write up:

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/community/reddeer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberta_Highway_734

July 5, 2012, 6:01 a.m.

Skip Sandon, unless scoping out bike/ski terrain and you want to go past Retallack.
I would go via Trout Lake and take the fishing rod….Girard trout:) yummy
Hit up the hotsprings…Ainsworth if you go via Trout Lake or Halcyon/Nakusp (commercial) or Halfway/St.Leon (natural), going the other way.

If you want natural PM me and I will give directions.

Take a radio, lots of hauling around here - break up is over.

If there are delays on the Galena/Shelter Bay ferry I can tell you how to get to Nelson via gravel [HTML_REMOVED] pavement.

From Nelson - maybe do Rock Creek to Kelowna/Osoyoos or if you want backroads….how much damage did you say you wanted to do to your truck?

Is this the road you are talking about to avoid ther ferry?

July 5, 2012, 7:23 a.m.

Icefields to Hwy 1 to Revy, south to Nelson and then Hwy 3 to the Coast.

July 5, 2012, 10:48 a.m.

From Osoyoos, an option instead of Hwy 3 is to cross the border and take the North Cascades Highway (SR20) across to Sedro-Woolley (amazing scenery at Washington Pass), then head north on 9 to Sumas / Abbotsford.

July 5, 2012, 11:07 a.m.

I'll raise PaulB..

Go from Nelson to Trail/Rossland,and cross the border.(why go to Osoyoos unless you absolutely have to?)
You then follow the Columbia till you get to Highway 20, which you'll take over Sherman Pass, down to Tonasket, then up through Twisp/Winthrop etc, across to Sumas.
Absolute money route, and totally blows Highway 3 away..and is faster, and cheaper (gas prices)