Retarded tinfoil hats part deux

May 2, 2012, 12:17 a.m.

The meters transmit once per day? The news showed ones in Ontario that were transmitting a few times per minute.

If people are allowed to opt out and keep dumb meters, then how will BC Hydro implement hourly rates for everyone?

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

May 2, 2012, 1:58 a.m.

Love this thread.

Me. Car/Web Work. Twitter. FFFFound.

May 2, 2012, 5:10 a.m.

Im pretty sure that my smrt meter is cooking me from the inside out,because it has a digital display that looks alot like a microwave oven's.

Pastor of Muppets

May 2, 2012, 7:28 a.m.

The meters transmit once per day? The news showed ones in Ontario that were transmitting a few times per minute.

If people are allowed to opt out and keep dumb meters, then how will BC Hydro implement hourly rates for everyone?

Probably charge them the regular rate. Everyone else gets reduced rates for off-peak.

I saw somewhere that in Ca opting out costs you $75 plus $10 per month.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

May 2, 2012, 7:29 a.m.

wait until the tinfoil hat people learn that your average home 802.11g router might have a Tx power of 21dB, has a 3dBi antenna gain, and transmits 24x7, whether data is moving or not, with a signal strength sufficient to be received at -55 over a typical -92 noise floor…

"Bicycling is a healthy and manly pursuit with much to recommend it, and, unlike other foolish crazes, it has not died out."
- The Daily Telegraph (1877)

May 2, 2012, 7:31 a.m.

Better still, dial the number

604-873-7245

into your cellphone (a cordless RF phone will do too), press your phone against your head and and tell Adriane Carr how concerned you are about everyday exposure to RF radiation coming a smart meter in your basement …

Most people couldn't tell you what an electromagnetic wave is or how it propagates or the relationship between electricity and magnetism or the difference between induction and conduction.

There's a wonderfully hilarious article about smart meters in this month's issue of "The Agora", a local granola muncher "alternative" paper… Same paper that advertises reiki practitioners and magic healing crystals. I believe they managed to mix in chemtrails and the NSA with the smart meters.

"Bicycling is a healthy and manly pursuit with much to recommend it, and, unlike other foolish crazes, it has not died out."
- The Daily Telegraph (1877)

May 2, 2012, 7:52 a.m.

We went through this back in Oz a few years ago. You could opt out but then the people who did missed out on savings on their power bill and coincidentally(?) they were generally the people that neede it most. Having incentive to run the washer/dryer/dishwasher during low demand periods does change behaviour.
The real benefit of course is delaying the construction of the next power station whether it is a coal fired "dirty" one, a BC super clean hydro one that merely dams a river, changes ecosystems and floods the land your food comes from or veryone's favorite nuclear station with power sneakily brought in via trades from other provinces/states.
Cheers Ben

May 2, 2012, 7:57 a.m.

I love it when foreign visitors with dirty backyards try to chastise us for our world leading resource extraction and management practices.

Pastor of Muppets

May 2, 2012, 8:30 a.m.

D glad they are moving towards letting us have a say and or choose to opt out.

you do realize that they are not doing this, don't you? BCHydro has no obligation to honor the motion, but it makes a pandering politician look good.

May 2, 2012, 8:47 a.m.

for some reason there is a moratorium on them here on the coast..no mor install for you ha ha!

May 2, 2012, 8:50 a.m.

Collins said she's sensitive to wireless technology, which she said gives her headaches.

Prove it bitch. Why is she living in a metropolitan area if this is a concern? I know a few places without cell service and no radio reception that would be perfect for her.

Sorry Norona, but anyone that thinks keeping the old meters is a net positive is not doing any research. Not only is the "radiation" from the meters negligible, the smart meters are a must if we ever want to modernize the power grid. I want a future where more of our power comes from many local sources and less is sent over lossy giant power lines over residential neighborhoods. Smart meters are step one.

May 2, 2012, 9:02 a.m.

for some reason there is a moratorium on them here on the coast..no mor install for you ha ha!

http://www.coastreporter.net/article/20120115/SECHELT0101/301159997/-1/sechelt/board-passes-moratorium-on-smart-meters

a) the SCRD requested a moratorium. BCH is under no obligation to respond to it.

b) as of the Jan 15 article, "a large portion of the installations are already complete on the Coast".

c) the so-called "conflicting information" is sourced from nothing more than a bunch fools who can't understand the difference between science and witchcraft.

d) "There wasn't any consultation"!! Oh, ffs, our government and their related agencies (eg., BCH, ICBC) make decisions every day without so-called "consultation". These agencies have oversight and are accountable to government boards. If every miniscule decision were taken to the public for consultation and approval by referendum we'd still be riding horses to the Cooper to pick up a few barrels for our winter provisions.

Luddites.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

May 2, 2012, 9:11 a.m.

i dont know if you are right about that kn. but good job on teh name calling..that shows you are a much higher quality human being..

i was at the community association meeting last week and many many homes including my entire neighborhood havnt been fitted.

May 2, 2012, 9:13 a.m.

i was at the community association meeting last week and many many homes including my entire neighborhood havnt been fitted.

Are you concerned about the claimed health implications of smart metres?

May 2, 2012, 9:35 a.m.

what it is, is a waste of a billion dollars and a virtual hand out to friends of the government. i don't buy the "RF makes me feel shitty" argument.